What to wear at the gym

europhile

I have joined a gym.

I have never been to a gym in my life and have no idea what to wear.

I'm not exactly in the first flush of youth nor a sylph so I CANNOT wear a leotard or shorts. Would I look like a freak if I wore tracksuit bottoms? What sort of shoes? Which brands are reliable and will not mark me out as a middle-aged nutjob?

Then, are there proper sports shops where you can buy this sort of stuff? It seems to be that Champion Sports, etc, are geared towards skanky youth.

HELP!!

Lots of people wear tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt. Shoes? Whatever's comfortable and provides good support. Go to somewhere like Elvery's.

If you've never been to a gym before be sure to take an orientation session before you use any machines.

And remember most people will be too busy worrying about what they're wearing themselves to care about what you're wearing.

half of a pantomime horse?
Lol! :D Which half?

I bought a new pair of shoes for the gym a couple of months ago. They all looked pretty much the same to be (give or take the odd gimmick). However, the price range was quite surprising. Anything from €50 to €150.

If you're not too fussed about street cred or shaving a quarter second off your 100m dash, then I would suggest the €50 range should suffice. I got white and red Asics for €50, whereas the white and blue ones were €100.

I remember reading about these 3 wrestlers that wore wetsuits in the sauna to quickly reduce weight before a weigh in. I think a couple of them died, so stear clear of doing that.

Depends upon the gym... some attendees spend more on what they wear as opposed to what it costs to join! Designer gear and al that crap associate with it. Don't worry about what others wear just go there & get on with what you are trying to achieve... unless these things really do bother you!

I'm more concerned about covering up the flesh than making a fashion statement. Maybe a burka might be my best bet.

My husband has suggested that a burka would probably not be allowed in case I was a man in disguise trying to cop a look at the women in the changing room. He has a point.

Wear whatever you think. It doesn't matter....as somebody said above, half the people in gyms are posers that are two worried about themselves and the other half are probably so bored from looking at the same spot on the wall for the last 20 minutes that they'd welcome somebody wearing weird gear just to give them a laugh.

Make sure you have decent shoes for the type of exercise you are planning (Generally cross training or running shoes) and as the others say, it doesn really matter if you team it with tracksuit and tee-shirts.

I have been in many gyms and dont think there is really any hard and fast rules!

The most important thing is a good sports bra. I prefer to wear light tracksuit bottoms rather than shorts and always wear a sports top that has added boob support (as well as the sports bra). Nobody will really notice what you're wearing unless you're the type who'll wear designer gear, full make up and a baseball cap and then not even break into a sweat - those people just look silly and are just wasting space posing!

As for runners, my favourite are asics - at the moment I use 2100s. Proper sports socks are great for preventing blisters.

The most important thing is a good sports bra. I prefer to wear light tracksuit bottoms rather than shorts and always wear a sports top that has added boob support (as well as the sports bra). Nobody will really notice what you're wearing unless you're the type who'll wear designer gear, full make up and a baseball cap and then not even break into a sweat - those people just look silly and are just wasting space posing!

As for runners, my favourite are asics - at the moment I use 2100s. Proper sports socks are great for preventing blisters.

Thanks, Cahir. Yup, I'm conscious of the bra thing. Where do you buy the light tracksuit bottoms? And what sort? Sorry, I really am this bad. I've never worn any sort of sports gear in my life.

i got asics shoes for 80 euros but they are very comfortable and have a special high impact feature.

I got some light, stretchy ones in Champion Sports, but most sports shops will have them. Try to get something that wicks sweat away from you, far more comfortable than the usual trackie trousers.
I'd also highly recommend the Shock Absorber sports bras, they're the best by far.

Back