What to wear at the gym

Asics trainers...nothing else will do...

Found some really nice quarter length bottoms in Champion recently. They are for yoga apparently but I love them for training in. Very comfortable and don't look half bad...

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I use a gym 5 times a week and see people in all sorts of gear. Most people just go about their business and are more interested in getting fit than going there to join a fashion parade!

As for runners, I can't over-estimate the importance of having a good pair. €80 - €100 is not too much to spend on a pair. Go to a decent sports shop where you'll get good advice. Arnotts won't lead you astray. Personally I'd never switch from asics as I've been the same model for about 8 years (not the same pair!!!) and I get about 8 months out of them which includes running about 30km a week.

Best of luck with it and enjoy the gym...it's not really as daunting a place as most people think. No doubt I'll see you passing me out on the treadmill / roads in no time!

Best way to get started in the gym is to get a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. Set yourself attainable goals and don't worry about comparing yourself to the few (very few) of us who go 5 times a week. A lot of people you'll see in the gym use it regularly...that's only because they're the only ones who use it...everyone else pays up an never goes.

Train 3 times a week to start off with and leave a day between each session. Overtraining is not only the easiest way to get injured, but it's an even easier way to lose interest.

A personal trainer will design a programme that suits you, your current fitness levels and your goals. Stick to it 3 times a week for 8 weeks and I can't over-estimate how good you'll be feeling. Then you'll be hooked...just like the rest of us.

Regarding Shoes:

I agree with whats said before - but one exception - If you are going to be using any courts - squash courts etc... Make sure your shoes are non-marking, ie - they dont leave big black scuffs of rubber all over the floor.

Back