What do AAMers think WILL happen in the coming months

How is this a bad thing? Have you taken a look at our health services and what a shambles it is, people dying due to basics such as tests being misread, or not read at all, people ringing the radio from our 'top' hospitals that make one weep? Education, would you be referring to our schools that would that be the third world prefabs with rats and mould and damp and cold and run by in general one religious organisation of no repute. Water services, cryptosporidium anyone?
I'm well aware of the limitations of our current services. However, don't lose sight of what will happen if/when the IMF come in. These services will become the preserve of the rich - health, education, water etc. Like the USA, if you have money or insurance, you'll get great health cover. If you don't have money or insurance, you will die. Your local school will be sold off. Pepsi will use the school roof for advertising (if you're on a airport flight path). The school vending machine will be sponsored by a junk food company, to bring in extra revenue. If you have money, you'll buy private education in (most likely) religious schools. If you don't, you'll attend a ghetto school.

Yawn, Complainer.
I have seen some of those free 'ghetto' schools as you call them in the USA. OK, so they do serve pizza for breakfast and take in a total mix of children from different backgrounds, but on the other hand their facilities would put our 'private schools' (except the Mexican one, whose name escapes me) to shame, and in many cases give a first class education to those who want to learn.

I'm well aware of the limitations of our current services. However, don't lose sight of what will happen if/when the IMF come in. These services will become the preserve of the rich - health, education, water etc. Like the USA, if you have money or insurance, you'll get great health cover. If you don't have money or insurance, you will die. Your local school will be sold off. Pepsi will use the school roof for advertising (if you're on a airport flight path). The school vending machine will be sponsored by a junk food company, to bring in extra revenue. If you have money, you'll buy private education in (most likely) religious schools. If you don't, you'll attend a ghetto school.

The IMF previously bailed out the USA then yeah?

Yawn, Complainer.
I have seen some of those free 'ghetto' schools as you call them in the USA. OK, so they do serve pizza for breakfast and take in a total mix of children from different backgrounds, but on the other hand their facilities would put our 'private schools' (except the Mexican one, whose name escapes me) to shame, and in many cases give a first class education to those who want to learn.
Would these be the ones with the metal detectors at the entrance, for kids and teachers?

The IMF previously bailed out the USA then yeah?
Do you really need to twist my words in order to argue your point?

Do you really need to twist my words in order to argue your point?
I haven't argued any point! I'm simply trying to understand your logic in equating the IMF coming into a country with that country then becoming like the USA in terms of public services. Have you any actual examples of this happening to back up your assertions?

That is complete and utter rubbish. For someone whose posts usually contain a lot of sense, you have really lost the run of yourself on this topic.

However, don't lose sight of what will happen if/when the IMF come in. These services will become the preserve of the rich - health, education, water etc. Like the USA, if you have money or insurance, you'll get great health cover. If you don't have money or insurance, you will die. Your local school will be sold off. Pepsi will use the school roof for advertising (if you're on a airport flight path). The school vending machine will be sponsored by a junk food company, to bring in extra revenue. If you have money, you'll buy private education in (most likely) religious schools. If you don't, you'll attend a ghetto school.

Can you provide links (if you're bothered) to examples of where IMF bailouts have resulted in this? (As far as I know the US hasn't been bailed-out by the IMF. )

I haven't argued any point! I'm simply trying to understand your logic in equating the IMF coming into a country with that country then becoming like the USA in terms of public services. Have you any actual examples of this happening to back up your assertions?

Can you provide links (if you're bothered) to examples of where IMF bailouts have resulted in this? (As far as I know the US hasn't been bailed-out by the IMF. )
No problem - see here.

For someone whose posts usually contain a lot of sense
You're too kind. I never knew you cared.

Thats simply scare mongering. Where is the example of the IMF doing all those things? Especially the bit about eliminating local industry.
I would like to know this too.

Complainer, your comment is total and utter nonsense, and even that is being charitable. Now I am not a fan of the IMF, I think they are not well run and their economic beliefs are deeply flawed. But the IMF have never gone into a country and started privatising or eliminating anything.
I was at the Kelikenomics festival at the weekend, and talked to a former Argentine minister named Martin Lousteau for a while. While he was only minister for a short time he has had quite a bit of experience with the IMF and apparently wrote a book about Argentina's economic history. I asked him what the IMF had typically done on the numerous times they came into Argentina. He said raise taxes and lower public wages. I asked "was that it?" he said yes. I was surprised about the quick and to the point answer I got from a politician, so I decided to dig deeper and I asked him specifically whether they confiscated private assets or sold off public ones, or close down public services or departments, and he said that no such thing had happened on any of the occasions.
This has also not happened in Iceland or Greece.

Anything that involves the IMF is inherently political. They come in with an extreme-right 'Chigaco School' political approach.
You really need to educate yourself a bit more on economics. The chicago school advocates free markets with low taxation. This is the opposite of what the IMF request!!!!

It's also a very sad indictment of the Irish people and our democratic process that we have allowed in the past, continue to allow at present and in all probability into the future, such a shower of gombeenmen Irish politicians to run our affairs, and that we as a nation are incapable of standing up and booting them out, and need to go crying to the IMF to help "fix" us.

Well said!!!

Well why can`t our government even 2 years ago do what they will have to do anyway.
Lets stop the current account deficit...only spend what is taken in in tax.
Any public sector salary over 20k should be halved for a start so someone earning 80 k would get 50k. Welfare and spending needs to be reduced as well.
In the future period of austerity Pizza might be a bit of a luxury for the school kids.I say let them eat cheese and don`t leave any after them on account of the rats.

Well why can`t our government even 2 years ago do what they will have to do anyway.
Lets stop the current account deficit...only spend what is taken in in tax.
Any public sector salary over 20k should be halved for a start so someone earning 80 k would get 50k. Welfare and spending needs to be reduced as well.

And someone earning 20k would earn 10k? Why a 50% cut? Why not cut 55%?

I think the logic is that any earnings over 20k would be halved. So if you earn 80 then 60k would be halved giving you 30k plus the first 20k earned.

It may be the logic ... but it ain't what he/she said.

Still .... I get what he/she means ...... cut wages to shreds .... let them eat cheese, default on loans, go to the local CWO and hold out the begging bowl etc.

Looking at the news today I felt it was a crazy day in Ireland. Just going back to original thread I think mass civil unrest is just around the corner and our nation is on the edge of an abyss. I believe the government will fall before the week is out if the EU bailout takes place, this bailout proves the government have been lying for last two years about the economic mess the Celtic Tiger left behind.

Our hard fought sovereignty would be lost and major cuts in public spending, health, education, social welfare and higher taxes inevitable, corporation tax will increase as EU will have no interest in protecting Irish interests, mass emigration, unemployment and economic stagnation following, well we have this at the moment. The people will take to the streets to protest but with anarchists amongst them rioting will follow the army will be deployed and bloodshed will follow.

This is a major turning point in our history, maybe a real revolution will take place where people will be put before power not the previous farce led by “bad poets and rich farmers sons “ , which only really changed the power from British Colonists to power hungry Irishmen. Our early leaders whose greed, lust for power and self preservation permeates today creating a culture that has ultimately destroyed the independence and sovereignty that Irishmen & women have yearned for the past millennium .

Back