What do AAMers think WILL happen in the coming months

As an example, here is the letter of intent between Latvia and the IMF. Not the best example of an extreme-right 'Chicago School' political approach I have ever seen.

http://www.imf.org/external/np/loi/2010/lva/070510.pdf

I should point out that I am not the biggest fan of the IMF. Reminds me a bit too much of the UN!
Here's a mad idea. If you want to see critical analysis of the IMF, try looking on websites other than the IMF's own website. For example;

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/press-releases/press-releases/imf-conditions-harmful/
http://www.cepr.net/index.php/publications/reports/imf-supported-macroeconomic-policies-and-the-world-recession/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-lewis/the-imf-destroys-iceland_b_276193.html

I'm pretty sure that I've never asked somebody for 'an article rather than a book'.

You made pretty big generalisations about the IMF. If you do insist on providing a whole books as a reference, (left leaning as they are), would it be too much to ask for specific references in it?

I'm really not that motivated to go digging round for articles for you, only to find them dismissed because you don't like what they're saying.

This is fantastic stuff altogether and something other posters should link to whenever you ask for a reference in the future. Also, please point me to any article you have ever referenced (if your bothered to go digging for them) where I have dismissed it?

Anything that involves the IMF is inherently political. They come in with an extreme-right 'Chigaco School' political approach.

Linky?

Here's a mad idea. If you want to see critical analysis of the IMF, try looking on websites other than the IMF's own website. For example;

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/press-releases/press-releases/imf-conditions-harmful/
http://www.cepr.net/index.php/publications/reports/imf-supported-macroeconomic-policies-and-the-world-recession/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-lewis/the-imf-destroys-iceland_b_276193.html

It wasn't an IMF article. It was a Lativan Government document. So all these articles will prove an extreme right policy agenda by the IMF will they before I waste my time? I know what the CEPR document says for one ane that doesn't prove your point at all. It simply criticises the IMF's ability to forecast and being too rigid and is right to do so.

Actually from the Huffington post:

For example, they may demand that the government sell off "public infrastructure" and the assets of failed banks (which still have considerable value) to pay off the loans which were used to bail out the bankers in New York and London. Who buys this "public infrastructure"?

I see where you get detailed analysis from now that you can make such sweeping statements. And where have they eliminated local industry?

Also hard to explain why the IMF are exploring private individual debt forgiveness in Iceland for example given it's extreme right views. Where does that fit in?

[broken link removed]

You made pretty big generalisations about the IMF. If you do insist on providing a whole books as a reference, (left leaning as they are), would it be too much to ask for specific references in it?
Yes, that would be too much. I don't have the books to hand. In fact, I don't have them at all, as I got them from the library.

This is fantastic stuff altogether and something other posters should link to whenever you ask for a reference in the future. Also, please point me to any article you have ever referenced (if your bothered to go digging for them) where I have dismissed it?
You're right, I'm not bothered to go digging for them.

See above.

It wasn't an IMF article. It was a Lativan Government document.
I didn't say it was an IMF article. I suggested that you look beyond the IMF website.

The IMF have their own sacred cows. They will eliminate public services. They will privatise everything that moves. You can expect to be paying directly for everything - health services, education, roads, water etc etc. They will eliminate local industry and encourage imports of everything. Have a look at their track record in South America.

Anything that involves the IMF is inherently political. They come in with an extreme-right 'Chigaco School' political approach.

So can you back these statements up or not?

Don't be so pessimistic, Complainer. If you think the IMF will be that bad you might as well clear your desk into a cardboard box and walk out the door.

Right so that's a 'no' then. All I needed to know.

I think it's more a case of 'all I wanted to know' than 'all I needed to know'.

So you expect us to read whole books to validate your claims?
I really have no expectation of other AAM posters. Read the whole book, or don't read it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, tbh.

Maybe it's because you know they don't exist.
Or maybe it's because regardless of what evidence I find, people will find ways to ignore/discount/discredit the information that they don't like. At a guess, there are articles somewhere on the internet that support my view. I'm really not that bothered to spend 20 minutes on Google digging them out.

How much would a 5% increase in tax rate of multinationals raise?

How much would a 5% increase in tax rate of multinationals raise?
It would raise their interest in moving elsewhere. So I would think it wouldn't raise much at all in the end, and probably decrease chances of further investment here.

It would raise their interest in moving elsewhere. So I would think it wouldn't raise much at all in the end, and probably decrease chances of further investment here.
Why? Those that are here for the low corporation rate don't even pay that rate at present.

I would simply enforce the existing rate so the minimum corporation tax rate IS 12.5%. And if you still have a deficit problem then go looking to increase the rate.

It seems mindless to me to increase the rate at present when the bigger companies simply employ accountants to find loopholes to reduce their effective rate to just above zero. All you're then doing is penalising SME's who don't have the profits to go to the expense of setting up elaborate tax avoidance schemes.

Or maybe it's because regardless of what evidence I find, people will find ways to ignore/discount/discredit the information that they don't like.

1. If you were bothered to look you'd find I haven't ignored/discounted/discredited any links you have provided. Of course I'll argue them and give reasons why I think they are valid or not.

2. I take it so that you won't be asking others to post references in future to back up their arguments.

1. If you were bothered to look you'd find I haven't ignored/discounted/discredited any links you have provided. Of course I'll argue them and give reasons why I think they are valid or not.

OK, so I bothered to look - on the first page of your posts I find;

2. I take it so that you won't be asking others to post references in future to back up their arguments.
You can take it that I wont be ask others to post references in a particular medium and of a particular slant that suits me.

The IMF have their own sacred cows. They will eliminate public services. They will privatise everything that moves. You can expect to be paying directly for everything - health services, education, roads, water etc etc. They will eliminate local industry and encourage imports of everything. Have a look at their track record in South America.

How is this a bad thing? Have you taken a look at our health services and what a shambles it is, people dying due to basics such as tests being misread, or not read at all, people ringing the radio from our 'top' hospitals that make one weep? Education, would you be referring to our schools that would that be the third world prefabs with rats and mould and damp and cold and run by in general one religious organisation of no repute. Water services, cryptosporidium anyone?

OK, so I bothered to look - on the first page of your posts I find;

I didn't discount the article, I was just taken aback by the fact that you referenced an Indo article when you have consistently rubbished that particular newspaper/site.

Back