What are we watching on TV?

I'm watching 56 up at the moment. Fascinating series, although most of the participants' lives seem to have levelled off at this stage and there is very little dramatic change to report. Still excellent though.

I watched a series of repeats of the 'Judging Amy' series recently. Thatg was a great show!

Hotel Babylon Season 1

It's witty and sharp
Lots of flashy and clever editing and camera tricks
The cast are good, especially the guy who used to be in Coronation Street

Very light-hearted, I like it :)
Not a superb show but it passes the time, good junk TV

And from working as a hotel night porter during college and for summers I've seen some of what's in this show.
You wouldn't believe what goes on in hotels!

Last edited:
Just finished watching The Bridge Ch4 on sky plus. Working through Dexter series 6.

I watch a lot of stuff on PBS (Prohibition, New York City and Americas Test Kitchen).

Hotel Babylon Season 1

It's witty and sharp
Looks of flashy and clever editing and camera tricks
The cast are good, especially the guy who used to be in Coronation Street

Very light-hearted, I like it :)
Not a superb show but it passes the time, good junk TV

And from working as a hotel night porter during college and for summers I've seen some of what's in this show.
You wouldn't believe what goes on in hotels!

I got into this towards the end. Must have been when I started not to go out every friday night, It was great friday night tv. The bbc do these sleek type shows very well.

I was fascinated with the shade of red lipstick the pretty girl at reception wore.

Have given up on Hotel Babylon

It's not as good without that guy Max Beesley
They brought in a young actor for General Manager and now have a women in that role and the show has gone downhill

Don't like Series 4 at all

Currently watching City of Vice
Channel 4 show about the establishment of the police force and about crime in London

Iain Glen is top class, one of my favourite actors

Bodies, it's a BBC production and they generally produce quality

Max Beesley is the main actor, I think he's very talented

To do with a hospital and the staff within the obstetrician/gynecologist department

But it's the very opposite of Beesley's other work in Hotel Bablyon
Have gone from flash and bright to dark and gritty

Some outrageous incompetence, coverups and politics.

Consultants on duty ignoring patients as they don't want to get involved and don't want their name on the report, just wait for the next shift to take over.
Not my job, not my problem!
And then the bosses hang the junior staff, sounds like my office

Copying and pasting the wrong names to the wrong procedures and sending people for the wrong surgery.

Nurses get dismissed and ignored, who are you? You're just a nurse

And a whole lot more

But it seems very realistic, as I said it's very dark

Oz

Noting to do with Australia, it's a prison drama

Wow, I hope I never go to prison :eek:
Completely brutal place

The characters are good and it's the usual high standard that HBO are known for
Have finished season 1, starting into season 2

Thumps up!

The Newsroom on HBO. Aaron Sorkin's latest offering for TV.

If you've already seen The West Wing and/or Sports Night, then this is familiar ground, albeit in a slightly different setting and grounded in actual news stories.

If not, then it's a good way to enter SorkinWorld, a place where ambitious, capable and eloquent people work and interact and agonise over making the right choices, by means of elegant dialogue and soliloquies.

I've watched The West Wing and Sports Night and Studio 60 so am a bit underwhelmed by The Newsroom. But an average Sorkin TV drama is better than much else on TV.

Rory Gallagher - Ghost Blues - Sky Arts HD

Watched it the other night, it's been repeated on Sky Arts. Highly recommended viewing. Rory = Genius

Currently watching Cracker

It's fairly old at this stage, I remember seeing one or two of them in the early nineties

I sort of remembered the Liverpool fan episode though I didn't remember it was Robert Carlyle in it.
That episode is up there with some of the best British TV ever produced

It's a top show, well worth watching

Good few Irish actors in it too

Emmy nominations 2012

Pretty much what I would have listed (if asked :eek:)..

Outstanding Comedy Series
- The Big Bang Theory (haven't seen season 5, but seasons 1 to 4 are great)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (Larry David = God. Fact)
- Girls (No, really really No)
- Modern Family (still packs in more zingers than most. And Sofia Vergara packs in more .. )
- 30 Rock (still great)
- Veep (meh, but has had some good moments)

Outstanding Drama Series
- Boardwalk Empire (started well, less so in Season 2)
- Breaking Bad (Walter White = God. Fact)
- Game of Thrones (Great. It is known.)
- Homeland (for sure)
- Mad Men (meh, haven't seen Season 5, yet)
- Downton Abbey (not my cup of Earl Grey. Prefer Hugh Bonneville in Twenty Twelve)

Lead Actor in a Comedy
- Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock (absolutely)
- Don Cheadle in House of Lies (gave up on it after 3/4 episodes)
- Louis CK in Louie (not really acting, but great nonetheless)
- Jon Cryer in Two and a half men (eh, next please)
- Jim Parsons in Big Bang Theory (yes)
- Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm (prettay prettay good)

Lead Actress in a Comedy
- Lena Dunham in Girls (just don't like that show, regardless of any performance)
- Zooey Deschanel in New Girl (never watched it, reviews were meh)
- Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie (Comedy ? She's just great in anything)
- Tina Fey in 30 Rock (if only for awarding her boyfriend points for calling her Khaleessi)
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep (did the best with what she had)
- Melissa McCarthy for Mike & Molly (never watched it)
- Amy Poehler in Parks & Recreation (definitely yes)

Lead Actor in a Drama
- Bryan Cranston for Breaking Bad. The rest aren't worth mentioning. They might as well give the awards ceremony a miss.

Lead Actress in a Drama
- Claire Danes for Homeland. See above

Supporting Actor in a Drama.
- need a three-sided coin to decide between Peter (Tyrion) Dinklage in Game of Thrones, Giancarlo (Gus) Esposito or Aaron (Jesse) Paul in Breaking Bad.

Supporting Actress in a Drama.
- No opinion

Watched first two episodes of THe Newsroom yesterday evening, really liked it.

I like some of the TV50 shows being broadcast on RTE at the minute which show the early documentaries from the RTE archives.

The show below was shown at about 12:30AM on Monday morning but thankfully I captured it on sky+
The link will bring you into RTE player to a show called "In my book your ahead"

http://www.rte.ie/pl...er/#!v=10038569

It is a documentary about Shelbourne FC and the LOI from 1975. They showed an away game in Turners Cross against Cork Celtic and I swear I can see myself as a 5 year old with my dad on the St Annes end of Turners Cross. Ill have to freeze frame it!!

The facilities in the dressing rooms back then were appalling and thankfully Turners Cross is light years better now, than it was then but the problems they talk about in the show are as bad now as they were then.

There is an argument between two old codgers in a Dublin pub (one shels, one rovers) and the show is worth watching for that alone. It tells you where the D'unbelievables got their material!!

If you have any interest in LOI at all, this is a great show to watch.

Back