What are the valid reasons for refusing somebody entry into a public house/niteclub?

Z

z104

This question came up on a lunch break today. What are the valid reasons
for refusing somebody entry into a public house/niteclub.

I thought that somebody could only be refused entry for the following reasons

1) Private party
2) Being drunk
3) Underage

The girls at work suggested you could be refused entry for not adhering to the dress code of the pub/niteclub.

I thought this couldn't be right. Is this true?

Does a public license mean you cannot refuse the public or does that even come into the equation?

Not sure where they stand legally but pubs refuse for a lot more reasons that those you list Niallers. Some pubs refuse under 21 or even under 23 (even tho they are legally allowed to drink), others refuse if you're not a "regular", and as suggested there are plenty that refuse due to dress code.

I thought it was up to the management as long as it didn't breach equality legislation.

A friend of mine was recently not served a drink in a pub because he was wearing a tee-shirt with a football crest on it. The barman told him "We don't serve anyone with football jerseys here".
The crazy thing about this is, the pub is a stone's throw from Landsdowne and will be only too happy to serve people with football jerseys when the new stadium opens.

I think that's disgraceful. The barman made a judgment on a persons character by the top he was wearing. Surely that cannot be legal.

A friend of mine was recently not served a drink in a pub because he was wearing a tee-shirt with a football crest on it. The barman told him "We don't serve anyone with football jerseys here".

Similar thing happened to me in Bristol some years ago. I was wearing a casual rugby shirt - just a mish mash of colours and not a replica - and was refused entry to a nightclub cos I was wearing 'colours' :rolleyes: ! I then made the situation worse by trying to argue with the gorilla on the door :eek:. (cos that always helps !)

Was talking to someone last night who said they were asked to leave a bar in Dublin because it was a slow afternoon and the owner wanted to shut the place for a few hours.

Ultimately, the licence holder has the right to refuse admission and service.

It was probably a Celtic top so fair enough!

+1

It was probably a Celtic top so fair enough!

League of Ireland team actually!
This happened during the day and the guy was on his own. The barman just said it was policy not to serve people wearing football tops, which was bizarre considering this place will be packed on international match days.

As a former barman In my experience Liverpool supporters are by far the most disruptive,rowdy and downright rude when watching football matches in the pub.
People see a Celtic jersey and immediately think scumbag. Which obviously isn't the case all the time. Your typical scumbag walking about with his Celtic jersey on is very different to the average supporter who only wants to watch his team play over a couple of pints and go home.

(as above) A licence-holder or his staff can refuse service or entry to a licensed premises for any or for no specific reason and they are not obliged to state the reason for refusal. He can also ask someone to leave his premises and if they refuse he can call the Guards to remove that person, physically if necessary.

Untrained or self-important staff may offer reasons thereby exposing the employer to prosecution under equality / discrimination legislation.

Are you sure of that?
Where does equality legislation come in here? If that's the case how come you hear of publicans being brought to court for refusing travellers.Is it not some form of discrimination.

If that's the case how come you hear of publicans being brought to court for refusing travellers.Is it not some form of discrimination.

True but the travellers very rarely win. It is a difficult thing to prove. http://www.clarepeople.com/20091001336/nine-traveller-pub-cases-dismissed.html

I asked a good friend about this a while back. He said he never gives a reason as that can land you in trouble. Best just to say the old line " not today". If the person leaves peacefully then there is no issue. If the person gets agitated then the barman can use this as a defence if a case is taken.

I witnessed this one night where a man was refused service. The barman did not give a reason just said he was not serving the guy that night and to try again some other time. The guy got annoyed by this and raised his voice. The barman then barred him for life for not leaving and for making a scene. His aggresive actions proved the barman was right in not serving him.

Sure of what? As a former hotel manager & bar owner I have on occasion refused people service or entry to premises and have never stated a reason. I also instructed staff that certain named individuals were not to be admitted or served.

Staff were told NOT to say it was policy or that they were acting on instruction but simply to repeat the mantra "I will not serve you (admit you) and I ask that you now leave the premises and if you do not I will ask the Guards to remove you", or words to that effect. We had little cards printed at the time with very specific wording based on legal advice we received and every staff-member carried one.

With regard to discrimination, relevant legislation an so on maybe have a look at a document published in December 2002, The Commission on Liquor Licensing, Report on Admisson and Service in Licensed Premises and maybe also look at the of the Office of the Director of Equality Investigations. They may make for interesting reading in the context of your other questions.

Hi Mathepac,
Out of curiosity.
What would be your reasons for refusing service/entry to a bar?

If for example your staff memeber decided to refuse a customer because they for example had a school yard fight 40 years ago and disliked a person because they last met them when they were 5 or 6 years of age( extreme example i know). Would you take the side of the customer and overrule the staff member or would you take the side of the staff member.

Would you refuse to serve somebody becuase you didn't like the look of them ?

Sure of what? As a former hotel manager & bar owner I have on occasion refused people service or entry to premises and have never stated a reason. I also instructed staff that certain named individuals were not to be admitted or served.

Staff were told NOT to say it was policy or that they were acting on instruction but simply to repeat the mantra "I will not serve you (admit you) and I ask that you now leave the premises and if you do not I will ask the Guards to remove you", or words to that effect. We had little cards printed at the time with very specific wording based on legal advice we received and every staff-member carried one.

With regard to discrimination, relevant legislation an so on maybe have a look at a document published in December 2002, The Commission on Liquor Licensing, Report on Admisson and Service in Licensed Premises and maybe also look at the of the Office of the Director of Equality Investigations. They may make for interesting reading in the context of your other questions.

The problem is that, as its a public license, the refused person can ask for a reason (in writing). If you refuse someone, and they go peacefull, but write a letter the next day, what do you say in reply. You'd be on very dodgy ground.

... What would be your reasons for refusing service/entry to a bar? ...
It could vary.
... Would you take the side of the customer and overrule the staff member or would you take the side of the staff member...
I made a point of never undermining or over-ruling staff-members in front of the public. I trusted (indeed I relied on) their judgement and professionalism. They were hired, trained and paid for these attributes. Noone can possibly be on hand 24x7, staff must know that if they make a decision they will supported.
... Would you refuse to serve somebody becuase you didn't like the look of them ?
Essentially it came down to professional judgement, someone is either "right" or not. The regular thing to do was to discreetly ask someone else's opinion if the warning antenna quivered. :)

Back