What a voice, pity about the dress and eyebrows!

In the 70's she'd have been little more than a toddler!

Set in the 70's, not filmed in the 70's, what do you take me for?? :eek:

Ever wondered how they had colour camera's to capture the action in Ben Hur ???.....

I was talking to my sister in law about this the other day and she said that she watched the program last week and felt it was a modern version of "bread and circuses". The baying crowd was somewhat reminiscent of ancient Rome and the Christians being thrown to the lions.

I would be inclined to go along with the view that large elements of the performance were stage managed and in some ways the program reminds me of American wrestling, with its pantomime villians and outlandish story lines.

I didn't watch the episode in which Susan Boyle appeared, but I watched the youtube video and was totally blown away by the purity of her voice. I could listen to the recording over and over again and have already done so several times. However, I found the judges comments deeply patronising and condescending and I just hope that it doesn't all end in tears.

I was out on Saturday night, but I recorded the show, mainly to see what they would say about Susan. There seems to be a definite pattern to the show, with a big build up for the really bad and the surprisingly good acts. And I just knew the last act was going to be something special, particularly when Simon Cowell held up his hand to interrupt the performance and suggested that he sing another song. This was very obviously contrived, but why let reality get in the way of a good story?

Homer

Watched Susan again for the thousanth time and have to say when she finished singing she started to walk off the stage then they called her back, a small part of me wishes she had kept on walking, maybe even given them the fingers first.

And I don't mean Fingers as with Stiff Little Fingers.

Does Simon need a wheel chair because everybody else was standing for Susan and he the lazy git (I normally use a profanity here) was still sitting...

Just had another look at the clip and I note that Simon doesn't even bother to applaude.:confused::mad:

Simon this is for you from all of us in AAM

[broken link removed]

Both her parents were Irish. Her mother was from Donegal. Seemingly she has been coming over to Knock for years singing in the Basilica there on pilgrimages.

Watched Susan again for the thousanth time and have to say when she finished singing she started to walk off the stage then they called her back, a small part of me wishes she had kept on walking, maybe even given them the fingers first.

I like it!!

I personally like the way she smiled just before she began to sing - it was a smile that said 'I KNOW Im good'.

Am I alone in thinking that her singing performance was nothing special ? I heard her performance before I saw it and wasn't blown away by it. Sure, it's a nice voice (infinitely better than mine), but its far from sensational.

If she wasn't so unconventional looking, by X-Factor standards, then there would be no fuss made.... in my humble opinion...

Am I alone in thinking that her singing performance was nothing special ? I heard her performance before I saw it and wasn't blown away by it. Sure, it's a nice voice (infinitely better than mine), but its far from sensational.

If she wasn't so unconventional looking, by X-Factor standards, then there would be no fuss made.... in my humble opinion...

You should go to boards.ie there is a whole thread about how appalling they believe she is.

I personally think she has real serious talent and anybody who doesn't get it needs their ears cleaned out.

You should go to boards.ie there is a whole thread about how appalling they believe she is.

I personally think she has real serious talent and anybody who doesn't get it needs their ears cleaned out.

I don't think she's appalling. I just think she's one of many average/above average singers. Nothing special...

I just think she's one of many average/above average singers. Nothing special...

Millions of people all around the world would totally disagree with you and that number is growing every day.

Anyway the reason I'm posting is to give you all a chance to hear the first song about Susan Boyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7BKwm_dvs&feature=channel

And just watched an early recording of her singing back in 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlHr8z98VCI&feature=channel

I was never glad his career bombed but I am now.

Could someone explain to me the reason for the modern way that cd's are released i.e., put on sale a few months after it's been first played on radio etc.

I'd say it's due to the fact that 'singles' sales are a mere fraction of what they were in the 70s and 80s - so record companies want to make absolutely sure that the album sells as much as possible by whipping up interest and expectation a fair bit in advance.

Back