weed and feed with evergreen?

Yes, I have used this weed and feed brand and I find it is about the best. Make sure you initially buy the plastic container one with the metered dispenser and then you can refill in the future. If you have a lot of weeds / moss you will notice a blackening of areas for a month or so but eventually you will find the lawn greening up and those black areas receding. If you have a lot of moss it would be a good idea to rake off the blackened moss after a few weeks and reseed with lawn seed. Don't be tempted to put on more weed and feed than suggested as it will damage the lawn. Also do it when the ground is slightly damp and there is a chance of rain in the following 24 hours

If you are using the product with Moss-killer, make sure you do not allow the granuals to remain on concrete paths or kerbs as it will stain them. Sweep off after application.

If you are using the product with Moss-killer, make sure you do not allow the granuals to remain on concrete paths or kerbs as it will stain them. Sweep off after application.
cheers did not know that will sweep;)

I have used the granular Evergreen weed and feed for the past 3 years. This year my local garden centre is pushing me towards Gouldings. It's the same price but the man there tells me it is better. I haven't tried it yet as I had a bag of weed and feed left over from last year.
Has anybody used this product and how does it compare?

Gouldings is an Irish manufactured product, and it is formulated to best suit Irish growing conditions. I use it myself and I've also tried Evergreen granules. I found Gouldings easier to spread and the growth was good. Just a happy customer no connection to them, and it's good to support your own. I could do with a decent day of rain to wash the remainder of it in at the minute, and it hasn't blackened the lawn.

i have now used the evergreen granules. as someone said it can be a bit difficult to spread the granules evenly.Now waiting for rain had some last night but not sure if enough? Think the liquid form of evergreen might be easier to apply but did not know it came in liquid form when doing it

Hi all Greenfingers

The easy way to spread granules without a spreader is to put one old flower pot inside another twist them to adjust them so that the holes in the pots are all half covered you will get an even spread of the granules I have been using Gouldings for years and I find it very good

Yes, I have used this weed and feed brand and I find it is about the best. Make sure you initially buy the plastic container one with the metered dispenser and then you can refill in the future. If you have a lot of weeds / moss you will notice a blackening of areas for a month or so but eventually you will find the lawn greening up and those black areas receding. If you have a lot of moss it would be a good idea to rake off the blackened moss after a few weeks and reseed with lawn seed. Don't be tempted to put on more weed and feed than suggested as it will damage the lawn. Also do it when the ground is slightly damp and there is a chance of rain in the following 24 hours

Good advice there. I'd add that in the offchance that it doesn't rain for 24 hours after, give it a good watering yourself. I found out the hard way during the hot '06 summer that if the weed and feed doesn't get a good watering into the ground, it can do a lot of damage to the grass.

If you have any sort of big garden, I would advise buying a wheeled spreader. You might get a deal in Woodies or Atlantic etc. for a large bag of weed and feed and the spreader.

update

I found it useless. It did rain that day but the lawn has more weeds than ever and not much in the way of stronger grass

You must give it a chance to work. It could be a few weeks before you notice weeds withering and some time later the grass will green up. You need to have a little faith and patience!

You must give it a chance to work. It could be a few weeks before you notice weeds withering and some time later the grass will green up. You need to have a little faith and patience!
you make it sound like a religion;) just joking. Seriously it says that the grass should be greener in a week and the weeds ready to rake off in a couple days. i wouldn't really mind no response from the grass but the weeds seem to have gone really mad

Some the packets of this stuff actually say that there will be strong/rigorous growth of weeds for a couple of days before they die. Sounds like the stuff is working on yours.
Also after the first cut after using this I found the weeds grew long tall stalks and then died.

In future you could try use a weed killer - something like MCPA - can be got at agricultural stores and then a normal agricultural fertiliser - definitely cheaper and probably have better results

Well ShadyBrady, it's probably not your fault or Evergreen's fault. We'll blame it on the dry weather. ;) You will probably find that after we get a good bit of rain the stuff will work it's way down to the roots and the weeds will disappear. I wouldn't put anymore down now, otherwise the grass might get damaged.

After the first or second cut they will be gone. A 'Dying Kick' they call it.

Back