Weather Disrupts Bus Services

teatime, unless you are really well equipped and very experienced, don't try any climbing + getting there might be challenging at the moment
add to that that mountain rescue teams over here may not be as experienced and equipped to deal with a potential rescue situation if need arises ...

Thanks for the concern folks but I am experienced and fully equipped and I know the mountains. I have already climbed one mountain during the cold snap (900m+). Winter climbing is my favourite.

But yes, I wouldn't advise anyone inexperienced to go exploring higher ground and I would encourage people to donate to Mountain Rescue.

Well isn't a truck bigger? Why is a bus less stable, what if you go really slowly and carefully on the main routes with passengers only on the bottom wouldn't that be ok? I presume a double decker is worse than a normal bus, how about using normal buses if they are safer?

Buses have to pull into busstops at the end of the road where the slush collects and it's dangerous to brake and accelerate. They carry passengers who are walking about, climing up and down stairs and standing between seats which means any sudden motion could cause injuries. They can't simply switch to single decker buses because there are only about 30 of them left in the city.

Where I am we have an inch of snow and -6 today but I've brought the kids to school all week and I've not heard of any public transport not working so I don't see how Dublin Bus is any different, this doesn't happen in Stockholm, Minneapolis, Bonn etc.

I don't see how anyone can rationally compare a city which rarely gets heavy snowfall with a city which regularly gets lots of snow. Buying the requirement amount of heavy machinery to keep streets clear during heavy snowfall would (rightly) be criticised as a waste of money in Dublin. The only point I will concede is that the local authorities should have had larger stocks of salt and grit but even that is a moot point when you consider they're using 2-3 normal supplies of salt each day.

Instead of a helicopter how about an army truck to do the bus routes, I'm sure people wouldn't mind as long as they could get to and from work.

You're assuming the army have 1,200 trucks (which can hold 94 people each) and 94 drivers all standing around doing nothing and can be taught routes and
sent out with a few days notice.

I would have thought with the volume of traffic day and night that if the buses and cars are constantly on the roads it would keep them clear?

The opposite is true. After a heavy snowfall, the heavy trafficed routes were like bottles because of the effect of thousands of cars impacting the snow and ice.

What should have been done is
- the DoT/DoEHLG should have had its own reserves of grit and salt to be distributed to areas running out
- the government should have convened an emergency group meeting to make sure the authorities had proper plans to tackle the affected areas
- in Dublin, the city councils should have focused their gritting efforts on hills, ramps and humback bridges. Fairview was effectively shut down because of the canal bridge even though the rest of the road was fine. Ditto for the M50 at several points.
- the local authority and gardai should have had a plan for rolling road closures in order to effectively grit the roads at short notice during the day. They couldn't do it properly on Wednesdsay because of the congestion caused by everyone trying to leave early.

This is an amazing satellite image of UK and Ireland from NASA

[broken link removed]

I don't see how anyone can rationally compare a city which rarely gets heavy snowfall with a city which regularly gets lots of snow.

Indeed. I was just talking to a colleague in Amsterdam, where they're experiencing the same problems for similar reasons.

On the point around the buses, aren't Dublin buses rear-wheel drive? That's got to make it more difficult to drive and control them in snow/ice.

What is more amazing is that our government did nothing to prepare.

….

It is the reponsibility of local government.

We have about 129 local government bodies.

Their planning, organisation & management is a disgrace.

Very few of us are prepared on an individual basis either - perhaps we should all have winter tyres for our cars :)

I think house owners /business owners should be made legally responsible for keeping the pavements in front of them free of ice and snow- its the case in other countries

I think house owners /business owners should be made legally responsible for keeping the pavements in front of them free of ice and snow- its the case in other countries

How does that work in the case of (perhaps) elderly people, who wouldnt be able to shovel away the snow/ice?

Or people who are away on holidays when it snows, or sick in bed? If you don't own the area outside your gate and can't for instance claim the right to keep that space free for your car, why should you be held legally responsible for it when it snows? I agree there is a social responsibility to try and keep the path clear if you're able to do so, but I don't think it should be a legal requirement.

How does that work in the case of (perhaps) elderly people, who wouldnt be able to shovel away the snow/ice?

In at least one other country they still are responsible, and have to make arrangements for someone else to do it if they are unable.
From bbc web site
The US city of Boston is equally tough. The mayor's website states people have a personal responsibility to remove snow from "the full paved width of the sidewalk or a minimum of 42 inches wide". Fines can reach as much as $250 (£154) for each day the snow is left.

There are also strict regulations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Most German towns have a "street cleaning statute". Snow-shovelling requirements are spelled out in detail, even down to the minimum width of the cleared area and the time during which you must keep the snow cleared.

AND
[broken link removed]

Should somebody slip in the snow, the council will only assume liability if the pavement is faulty. Ice and snow are the householder’s responsibility and if you are away for the weekend, unwell or unable for whatever reason to clear your own snow it remains your obligation to see that the job is done.

Commercial options usually involve contracting gardeners (who switch between hoes and snow shovels according to the season). Neighbours, family or friends can also be recruited though the council insists that a formal declaration with details of the nominated shoveller is lodged with them.

It is the reponsibility of local government.

We have about 129 local government bodies.

Their planning, organisation & management is a disgrace.

And most of these local governments are not needed anyhow; we should have more direct democracy with a good public service rather than layers of layers of red tape adding no value. But that is a different story.

Well the army is now out providing assistance and the government seems to be doing something, but still if this weather continues and the salt stocks are really gone by Sunday than next week we all can stay at home and enjoy a cold winter day.

Fact is that they had enough advance warning that this was likely to happen and they could have planned in advance instead of doing their reactive mode again.

With no salt as of Sunday and next week’s possible supply only ½ of what they got this week with new snow as of Sunday we are all going to have fun next week.

Time to stock up on food (with roads not cleaned no supply to supermarkets), candles (because we might get power cuts), water (because our reservoirs are about to run dry) and blankets (because the gods only know what our gas reserve is).

Welcome to civilization the Irish way ®

Back