'We' are pregnant !

Z

z106

The use of the word 'we' in this situation seriously irritates me.

Am I right or am I right ?

Depends on what way you are looking at it.

It's probably due to the fact expectant Dads now want to feel part of the whole pregnancy or acknowledge the fact the expectant mother is not on her own? of course only one person is pregnant but 'we' are having a baby would be fairly acceptable to me?

Guys get a lot of stick for not pulling their weight etc...so maybe its to overcompensate this?

Are you right to let it 'seriously irritate' you ?
IMHO - No

It is shorthand for saying we are expecting a baby.
Let it go ;)

I think it certainly sounds a bit weird but it doesn't actually annoy me (strangely enough, because a lot of things do)

qwertyuiop - I'm with you on this one. It really irrates me as well. I remember hearing American relatives saying it years ago but it now seems to have crossed the water.

If Im ever in the family way and I hear himself describe it as 'we' are pregnant I will be very quick to point out to him that he in fact is only WATCHING me be pregnant!! Cheek!

"We are pregnant" scores a double whammy of bad resonance with us. Firstly, there is the air of smug political correctness wafting across from the US. Secondly, there is an air of British pomposity about the phraseology. It calls to mind the royal we, which offends our democratic, republican, egalitarian (and slightly anti-british) sentiments.

Unfortunately, for a male who has successfully inseminated a female, even if you avoid the "we" word, there is almost no announcement that can be made which will not strike a wrong note with someone somewhere. For example

" My wife is pregnant" sexist pig who views wife as chattel

"Josephine is pregnant" heartless pig; speaking as if it is nothing to do with him.

"Josephine is pregnant with my child" patriarchal pig who views child as chattel; (also clearly insecure about Josephine's sexual fidelity)

"I'm going to be a father" selfish, self centred man. Why is it always about you?

Luckily, we have gender studies to help us avoid those embarrassing gaffes which occur from time to time - i.e. whenever men open their mouths.

Spill it Caveat - It's Friday, I need some light entertainment today!

Well OK then, but it's far from entertainment for me I can tell you.

In terms of words/phraseology alone:

The word 'n' as in Burger 'n' chips is far more annoying for me anyway.

As is all textspeak.

People referring to themselves in the third person (which manages to be almost disconcerting as well as annoying)

People inexplicably rounding off their sentences in a foreign language, as in "Right guys, see you all ce soir"...

Where's that Things that annoy you thread?

I go with "Josephine is expecting"

and before you say it, people tend to know what she's expecting !!:)

If someone said he and his wife were expecting, it wouldnt be quite so cringe as saying they are pregnant, because factually he isnt pregnant, but it would be reasonable to assume he's also looking forward expectantly to a new baby.

Others I tried but decided against were:

Josephine's up the duff
Josephine's up the damien
I got Josephine knocked up
Josephine's up the pole

(is there some singificance in "up" is all these expressions??, is Josephine "down" after the delivery??)

People referring to themselves in the third person (which manages to be almost disconcerting as well as annoying)

Agree, 100%, its usually some goon who's found themselves in the public eye - Breandan Ingle of the train drivers strike was the worst example I recall.

You wont catch Betsy Og referring to himself in the third person I can tell you ;)

Percentages over 100% (110%, 1000%) when referring to maximum effort is also a bit of a cringe.

"We are pregnant" scores a double whammy of bad resonance with us. Firstly, there is the air of smug political correctness wafting across from the US. Secondly, there is an air of British pomposity about the phraseology. It calls to mind the royal we, which offends our democratic, republican, egalitarian (and slightly anti-british) sentiments.

Unfortunately, for a male who has successfully inseminated a female, even if you avoid the "we" word, there is almost no announcement that can be made which will not strike a wrong note with someone somewhere. For example

" My wife is pregnant" sexist pig who views wife as chattel

"Josephine is pregnant" heartless pig; speaking as if it is nothing to do with him.

"Josephine is pregnant with my child" patriarchal pig who views child as chattel; (also clearly insecure about Josephine's sexual fidelity)

"I'm going to be a father" selfish, self centred man. Why is it always about you?

Luckily, we have gender studies to help us avoid those embarrassing gaffes which occur from time to time - i.e. whenever men open their mouths.
Post of the Week!
:D

Back