'We' are pregnant !

The one that gets my goat is "I fell pregnant". What, you tripped over a log and got pregnant?

How about the "She's having a baby for Johnny." Did he arrange a contract with her to have his kid?

The mind boggles.

I still have an inhibitory response to saying pregnant due to the number of times I was told off by my parents for using the word when I was a child. I always say 'expecting' as I was raised by them to believe that the word 'pregnant' was in some way rude.

They now tell me they just hated seeing their wee boy use such a grown-up word, and I can use it now if I want to.... but it still feels wrong to me even as a 30 year old. Like eating with fingers at the dinner table or something.

I don't know about the rest of ye, but as soon as we got married we never used the word I again. It's we this and we that, and yes, we are pregnant.

I still have an inhibitory response to saying pregnant due to the number of times I was told off by my parents for using the word when I was a child. I always say 'expecting' as I was raised by them to believe that the word 'pregnant' was in some way rude.

They now tell me they just hated seeing their wee boy use such a grown-up word, and I can use it now if I want to.... but it still feels wrong to me even as a 30 year old. Like eating with fingers at the dinner table or something.

See, that's just wierd. Maybe a bit of therapy?;)

I don't know about the rest of ye, but as soon as we got married we never used the word I again. It's we this and we that, and yes, we are pregnant.

No.
Saying 'we' are pregnant is seriously dodgy.

'We' are expecting a child is fine.

'We' are pregnant? i don't think so.

For a start it doesn't make any sense !
Admittedly I know what message you are trying to convery - but it definitely doesn't make any sense.

As an earlier poster said it is very american-tv stuff.
Something I might expect to see in Will and Grace. Or Dawsons creek.

Out of curiosity as an aside - do you call your wifes parents mom and dad?
Some guy from the cosby show used do that before. Used seriously annoy me too.
He'd be the type to say 'we' are pregnant too I bet.

I hate the use of "we" - I was watching Show House on RTE the other night and a girl was pointing out all the things "we" don't like while her boyfriend/husband was staring off into the distance. "We" are pregnant is silly - are "we" going to have morning sickness, haemoroids and swollen ankles?!

... are "we" going to have morning sickness, haemoroids and swollen ankles?!

If only to share in the burden in some way, I would gladly take these conditions on if possible. Really, what more can we do?

"She fell pregnant" and "We are (trying to get) pregnant" are exceptionally annoying statements.

What is wrong "we are going to have a baby" or "I am pregnant"?

Tough is when the little one climbs into bed between the two of you. I've now come to the conclusion that they come programmed to interfer with any possibility of competition! :(

I prefer 'we are pregnant' to 'we are trying' - Mental picture !!!

Agreed. "We're trying for a baby." Apart from the strange turn of phrase, I just don't want to know. Call me old fashioned, but some things should remain private between man and wife/girlfriend. Delighted to hear if a friend is happily up the duff, but I don't want detail about attempts to get there. I learnt that at the back of the bike sheds many years ago.

Agreed. "We're trying for a baby." Apart from the strange turn of phrase, I just don't want to know. Call me old fashioned, but some things should remain private between man and wife/girlfriend. Delighted to hear if a friend is happily up the duff, but I don't want detail about attempts to get there. I learnt that at the back of the bike sheds many years ago.

Did ye discuss semen analysis results and IVF at the back of your bike sheds? No reason why these shouldn't be discussed openly. I was on a business trip with two guys some years back when I mentioned that we had serious difficulty conceiving. One of the guys (who I didn't know particularly well) hugged me, as he and his wife were in the early days of fertility difficulties, and he had never spoken to anyone else about it except his wife. The conversation for the rest of the evening was not typical 'men on business' stuff, but it seemed to help him greatly.

To get back to the OP's question, yes, these kind of announcements irritate us greatly.

Did ye discuss semen analysis results and IVF at the back of your bike sheds? No reason why these shouldn't be discussed openly. I was on a business trip with two guys some years back when I mentioned that we had serious difficulty conceiving. One of the guys (who I didn't know particularly well) hugged me, as he and his wife were in the early days of fertility difficulties, and he had never spoken to anyone else about it except his wife. The conversation for the rest of the evening was not typical 'men on business' stuff, but it seemed to help him greatly.

To get back to the OP's question, yes, these kind of announcements irritate us greatly.
Good point. I/We went through the same thing and talking to friends helped.

Back