Waste charges- pay by weight

Have to say and said it before, FG has serious question marks over its competency to get basic stuff right in Government. The water fiasco, garda stations, health and now this waste fiasco.

Still no word from Greenstar about how much we'll have to pay from July. I currently pay €9 per month standing charge, €11.50 per lift for the waste bin and €4.50 per lift for the compost bin. I can understand the per kg charge for the waste bin which goes to landfill but the compost bin doesn't go to landfill so why change the pricing! I have a 140l compost bin which when full probably weights at least 100kg so at 15c per kg is going to cost me €15 per lift versus €4.50 at present !! Hard to say how much the waste bin will weight as it depends on what's in it.

Still no word from Greenstar about how much we'll have to pay from July. I currently pay €9 per month standing charge, €11.50 per lift for the waste bin and €4.50 per lift for the compost bin. I can understand the per kg charge for the waste bin which goes to landfill but the compost bin doesn't go to landfill so why change the pricing! I have a 140l compost bin which when full probably weights at least 100kg so at 15c per kg is going to cost me €15 per lift versus €4.50 at present !! Hard to say how much the waste bin will weight as it depends on what's in it.

Greenstar in Fingal are:
€13 per month standing charge
0.33 per kilo - general waste
0.20 per kilo - compost
0.00 per kilo - recycling

Greenstar in Fingal are:
0.20 per kilo - compost

Saucy prices to be honest. If they are not careful all the waste companies could find themselves privatised.

Greenstar in Fingal are:
0.20 per kilo - compost

Wow if they apply those charges in the south east my bin charges will rocket!

I just did calculations on my bin lifts since Jan 1st this year. Based on AES new charges I will be going from currently paying a flat fee of €180 all-in cost for 6 months to €305 for 6 months.

The waste companies are profiteering on this, plain and simple.

I have a 140l compost bin which when full probably weights at least 100kg
I suspect you may have overestimated that. My 240l waste bin, albeit not a compost bin, which is filled to the brim every two weeks, is not easy to move and weighs in (if the Panda website is to be believed) @ 32Kg.

Have to say and said it before, FG has serious question marks over its competency to get basic stuff right in Government. The water fiasco, garda stations, health and now this waste fiasco.

But a lot of the problem here isn't of the government's making. It's the providers using the opportunity to double service charges is the real kicker.

I suspect you may have overestimated that. My 240l waste bin, albeit not a compost bin, which is filled to the brim every two weeks, is not easy to move and weighs in (if the Panda website is to be believed) @ 32Kg.

68kg is the heaviest my bin has been recorded at.

Just thinking here, and trying to think of any reason why all the providers seem to be massively increasing service charges... I wonder is it due to there no longer being an incentive to wait until your bin is full before putting it out for collection? For example, up to now in my 2 person household, the black bin is only put out on average once every 8 months when it's full. From now on, I'll pay the same regardless if I continue to wait until it's full, or put out whatever is there every collection day. So a 17 fold increase in the collection effort for the provider for the same lift fees.

Just thinking here, and trying to think of any reason why all the providers seem to be massively increasing service charges... I wonder is it due to there no longer being an incentive to wait until your bin is full before putting it out for collection? For example, up to now in my 2 person household, the black bin is only put out on average once every 8 months when it's full. From now on, I'll pay the same regardless if I continue to wait until it's full, or put out whatever is there every collection day. So a 17 fold increase in the collection effort for the provider for the same lift fees.

Possibly in that Panda seem to factor their service charge in that way. Again in Fingal Panda are quoting:
€43 for 6 months/ €86 annual standing charge
Refuse Bin per KG €0.27 with €3.20 lift charge
Compost €0.16 with 2.56 lift charge
Recycle 0 with no lift charge

so lower annual fee but but making it up on the lift cost.

Annualising the cost and working it back to per month, it was about €30 with greenstar and €25 with Panda.

Greenstar are actually in receivership I think. And Panda were to buy them out but I think the matter is being looked into by the competition authority. In Swords we have only those two. So it creates a monopoly.

I had the same idea, but is there anything in the legislation to prevent them for charging a lift charge also?
I don't understand why they can't have service charge, lift charge and per kg which would seem to make more sense.

Greenstar northwest

Standing charge = 8.50 pm, has been increased steadily over past few years from zero.

8.50 pm = 100 pa approx

New pay by weight

Waste = 35c
Compost = 20c
Green = 5c

Got a feeling its going to be abandoned like the water charges ,goverment have more serious problems coming down the line like UK leaving the EU and don't forget they Will be soon taking there holidays.

I'm in Limerick and received an invoice from recycle right for €127 for 1st July to 31st December 2016, so €260 for the year. I am very happy with that as I was expecting a higher charge based on reading this thread. I put my green out every 2 weeks, my waste every 6 weeks or so and my compost most weeks. Am i missing something?

Midlands:

€312 per annum to AES for a number of years.

Green bin -140 litre waste collected every 2 weeks
Brown bin -140 litre compostables collected every 2 weeks
Blue bin 240 litre glass collected every 3 months
Blue bin 240 litre recyables collected every 2 weeks

The bins and charges are shared with my neighbour so we divide the yearly charge.

Not sure yet how the new charges will impact prices

Marion

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

How can you actually prove (or possibly challenge) what weight is in the bin? Is it going to be a case of what the supplier says, goes?

Back