Waste charges- pay by weight

Glass bin is empty, tomorrow general waste is emptied and next week recyclable’s and compost bin. Then they can take the bins away.

I have 3 weekly containers lined up for glass, recyclables and a 40 litre general waste lidded container.

It occurs to me that if one is on good terms with your neighbour, given the exhorbitant fixed cost of the service charges floated, that it would make sense to double up and put all the waste into one set of common bins and split the bill 50-50. Assuming both parties are broadly speaking using the same amount of weight.
If I missed anything in the pricing structure that would mitigate against that, please correct me.

It occurs to me that if one is on good terms with your neighbour, given the exhorbitant fixed cost of the service charges floated, that it would make sense to double up and put all the waste into one set of common bins and split the bill 50-50. Assuming both parties are broadly speaking using the same amount of weight.
If I missed anything in the pricing structure that would mitigate against that, please correct me.

No, that is plausible, except for me there are single neighbours on both sides, both are away alot so don't know what they will do but definitely there are cost savings there in regard to the service charge.

I just did a calculation of my bin charges from Greyhound . I'm currently paying €200 per year. Under the new system I expect to be paying over €600 per year !

To Quote Alan Kelly "In 87% of cases people ended up paying less for waste as a result of this initiative, so it's a win-win across the board, it's a win-win in relation to people paying less."

He forgot to mention that it's a win-win for bin companies.Hopefully some journalist will investigate the real reason for the price hike and the reason it was sneaked in before the general election.

I just did a calculation of my bin charges from Greyhound . I'm currently paying €200 per year. Under the new system I expect to be paying over €600 per year !

To Quote Alan Kelly "In 87% of cases people ended up paying less for waste as a result of this initiative, so it's a win-win across the board, it's a win-win in relation to people paying less."

He forgot to mention that it's a win-win for bin companies.Hopefully some journalist will investigate the real reason for the price hike and the reason it was sneaked in before the general election.

Yes, and not a lot of people are aware of this, these bills can vary so much that people will be caught unaware until they see the direct debit come out. A 140 litre bin could have 50kg of waste every two weeks if one were not care. That could in one month cost the house holder €25 euro in charges plus the €15 plus the compost bin upwards of €45 per month.

Glass bin is empty, tomorrow general waste is emptied and next week recyclable’s and compost bin. Then they can take the bins away.

I have 3 weekly containers lined up for glass, recyclables and a 40 litre general waste lidded container.

And assuming you will bring your glass and recyclables to a bring centre (which will be free) what will you do with the general waste?

And assuming you will bring your glass and recyclables to a bring centre (which will be free) what will you do with the general waste?
It will dropped off at the father in law who lives alone and pay him the few euro for the weight until the waste companies come out with better rates.

Its madness to make bin collection so expensive. That many people will probably stop paying for it. No tax relief or anything any more. Its more attractive to people to have a bin they should be trying to make it. Not less attractive. There ate already huge problems around the country with people dumping and disposing of waste where they shouldn't. And causing annoyance to others. This will no doubt increase. What a stupid move

Its madness to make bin collection so expensive. That many people will probably stop paying for it. No tax relief or anything any more. Its more attractive to people to have a bin they should be trying to make it. Not less attractive. There ate already huge problems around the country with people dumping and disposing of waste where they shouldn't. And causing annoyance to others. This will no doubt increase. What a stupid move

Agree 100% even as things stand now Fingal coco collect tons of rubbish from the streets every year. I can't remember the stats but they were enormous.
Crazy crazy stuff, banana republic here we go again!

Polluter pays principle? Not if they just dump it. More like precedence has been set by responsible consumer gets ripped off principle.

When alan kelly said 86 percent would save money he was including the projected increase in illegal dumping as thats the only way u can save money now. Looks like the same guy did those sums as did labours polling before last election.

Any one have a composter in back garden. One less bill.Do they attract rats, want to use just for fruit, veg, tea bags, egg shells.

Last edited:
Polluter pays principle? Not if they just dump it. More like precedence has been set by responsible consumer gets ripped off principle.

When alan kelly said 86 percent would save money he was including the projected increase in illegal dumping as thats the only way u can save money now. Looks like the same guy did those sums as did labours polling before last election.
Yeah, passed the charges and my spreadsheet on to my local TD, he is to raise it internally in his party and is personally impacted having a young family. He too was questioning Kelly's figures.

Any one have a composter in back garden. One less bill.Do they attract vats, want to use just for fruit, veg, tea bags, egg shells.
They do and we have had 2 over the years. If they are set tight to the ground resting on concrete blocks there should be no problem.

Any one have a composter in back garden. One less bill.Do they attract rats,
Had one a few years ago, got rid of it due to a rat stopping off there.

Only fruit & veg peelings, shredded news paper, tea bags & some small amount of grass clippings went into it. The flap at the end of the composter had been eaten / chewed by the rat.

Any one have a composter in back garden. One less bill.Do they attract rats, want to use just for fruit, veg, tea bags, egg shells.

I'm on to my second DIY one I made myself using off-cuts and shiplap timber. Along with the above, I put in a lot of grass cuttings, egg cartons and some paper. Every now and then I'll throw in a load of wood shavings from some power tools as well. The paper and shavings helps to stop it getting too wet. In nearly 15 years of having one, I've never had rats even though there is some wasteland close by. I did get some mice in it last year, it's far enough away from the house that that wouldn't bother me too much, but baited traps seems to have dealt with them.

My parents live in the countryside and even put cooked food waste in theirs. They've had the occasional rat over the years, but it's the countryside by fields regularly used for cereal crops, where you'll always have rats, but they haven't really been an issue.

This is just another example of how the government does not live in the same world as the rest of the country. If I got my figures wrong on the 87% I'd be sacked!

My guess is Kelly told that only 13% of people were estimated to be perfectly dividing their waste.

The other 87% are somewhere along a spectrum - maybe putting some cardboard into refuse or something. Kelly wrongly assumed since 87% of people don't perfectly divide their waste that when they did they'd see savings.

For a waste company, their costs are mostly salaries (fixed) equipment (increased by pay by weight) and disposal costs which are related to weight - or volume. If you introduce a system that almost guarantees people will further contaminate recycling then you further increase costs.

The idea that companies can maintain profits by reducing charges for 87% and increasing them on the 13% (the perfect recyclers) was laughable. Kelly achieved the near impossible of out performing his predecessor (Hogan) in terms of ignorance.

Dare I suggest that pay-by-weight is another anti-family policy. It's certainly going to cost me much more. I much prefer a fixed yearly charge based on size of bin and set number of lifts, pay it and forget about it . . a simple system that the politicians just had to fubar.

This is just another example of how the government does not live in the same world as the rest of the country. If I got my figures wrong on the 87% I'd be sacked!

Alan Kelly very nearly did get sacked, at the very least he is on the back benches now where he can't mess anything else up for a while

I'm sure Kelly's lackeys worked out that 87% figure based on 11c per kilo waste charge and no standing fees.
Of course the Waste Companies had a different way of looking at things and were happy to leave their new charges under wraps until as late in the day as possible.

Momentum really ramping up on this now. It's made the Dail floor, Coveney is arranging to meet the Waste companies. TDs getting hammered. The Left have spotted an opportunity and are setting up protests.
Once Joe Duffy got it, the Govt were in bother!!!

Back