US Visa Waiver - New Online Pre-Authorisation

You can still fill out the green form at the airport, pre-authorisation is not mandatory as yet. I did the online pre-auth for a recent trip to the US but when I went to the airport they asked for the green form anyway and didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I said I had online preapproval ....
US authorities asked for the form on the other side too and the Immigration official said the online preapproval was 'trialling' at the mo.

pre-authorisation is not mandatory as yet

This is not true ... yes you still have to fill in the Green form for US Immigration but you also must complete the online ESTA process before travel as well - it was optional for a while up until January this year ... but it is now compulsory

You can still fill out the green form at the airport, pre-authorisation is not mandatory as yet. I did the online pre-auth for a recent trip to the US but when I went to the airport they asked for the green form anyway and didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I said I had online preapproval ....
US authorities asked for the form on the other side too and the Immigration official said the online preapproval was 'trialling' at the mo.

Are you sure. I dont want to be sent away at the gate.

Also I just rang the embassy and they told me to appily for a visa !???!?!?!
Have to travel next week so this is not an option.

This is not true ... yes you still have to fill in the Green form for US Immigration but you also must complete the online ESTA process before travel as well - it was optional for a while up until January this year ... but it is now compulsory

Well, this was my experience in March of this year, on both sides, everyone was still only interested in the green form.
OP, I think you should ring Dublin airport to be sure so you won't have any probs on this side.

Well, this was my experience in March of this year, on both sides, everyone was still only interested in the green form.
OP, I think you should ring Dublin airport to be sure so you won't have any probs on this side.

Yes but you had been approved by ESTA......

The way to fly is

1. Get pre-approval
2. Go to airport and fill in green form

In the future the green form may be disregarded but it is still currently in use.

The person posting below most definitely needs to get pre-approval if he wishes to fly. He needs to go straight to the Embassy to clear this up.

His name must be similar to one on the watch list or he made a silly mistake filling in the form like ticking yes to being in the nazi party.

Yes but you had been approved by ESTA......

The way to fly is

1. Get pre-approval

In the future the green form may be disregarded but it is still currently in use.

The person posting below most definitely needs to get pre-approval if he wishes to fly. He needs to go straight to the Embassy to clear this up.

Absolutely correct. MelF you should check your facts before posting, this information is important. US Immigration are not the kind of people you want to upset!

Also I just rang the embassy and they told me to appily for a visa !???!?!?!
Have to travel next week so this is not an option.
It's the only option that will let you travel to the US.... Your passport number is now in their sysem with a refusal next to it - you will NOT be able to bypass the system and get into the US. Any idea what caused the refusal? Have you double-checked your answers? There's a sub-forum on this on the orlandovillas website - people discussing problems, refusals, visas etc - there might be something there to help you. http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum_78.asp

Had the same experience last month in San Fran. US Immigration hadn't a clue about the preauthorisation thingy and I still had to fill out a green form in Dublin.

Had the same experience last month in San Fran. US Immigration hadn't a clue about the preauthorisation thingy and I still had to fill out a green form in Dublin.

Having filled in the pre-authorisation is part of the procedure, you then need the green form. The green form will be phased out in the future but for now you need both.

The pre-authorisation does not exempt you from filling in the green form but not having pre-authorisation means you can't travel. Please stop giving people the idea that they don't need the pre-authorisation!

From visitusa.ie "Nevertheless if ESTA approval is not given, then travel to the USA will not be permitted and therefore it is highly advisable, wherever possible, you submit applications and get ESTA approval outside the 72 hour deadline, to avoid such refusals."

Yes the Green Form still needs to be filled in - at this moment in time anyway........

The way to fly is

1. Get pre-approval

Back