US Visa Waiver - New Online Pre-Authorisation

superdrog

Just completed the new online Visa Waiver form [broken link removed] and received my approval within seconds , valid for two years.
Has anyone used this before? What is the procedure now at Dublin Airport US Customs and Border Patrol? Is there a fast track lane for those with pre-approval or does everyone have to go in the same queue?

It would be great if it meant you could avoid filling up the silly green form asking if you're a war criminal etc. :) .. but unfortunately I believe that (for now at least) there'll be no change for border procedures.

I think this is perhaps because this online service is to do with the Department of Homeland Security whereas the border checks are INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Online service is optional for the next while - becomes compulsory for next year (similar idea I guess to the Australian ETA system)

Optional until January 2009 afaik.

The INS no longer exist. It is all homeland security now.

Yes , optional now , compulsory from 1st Jan. Personally I found it a lot less stressful doing it in my own time rather than filling out the green cards (had to do the kids ones as well!) at check-in.

The thing is will you still have to complete those green forms if you have pre registered?

The thing is will you still have to complete those green forms if you have pre registered?
Certainly hope not as the online application form was almost identical to the green I-94W that were previously completed manually at check-in. I am under the impression that when the passport is "read" at immigration it will throw up the pre-approval on screen.

I bet that until January they will require those forms as normal or at least the airlines will still give them out. Confusion will reign. I find them a pain to complete.

When are you travelling? I would be interested to hear of your experiences. I am travelling in September.

What is the procedure now at Dublin Airport US Customs and Border Patrol? Is there a fast track lane for those with pre-approval or does everyone have to go in the same queue?

At most US airports there are two queues: US citizens/green card holders, and everyone else.

The last time I went through clearance at Dublin Airport, there wasn't even that. One queue for everyone.

So, my guess would be you won't get to go through a fast-track lane.

But you'll find out yourself in a couple days.

Optional until January 2009 afaik.

The INS no longer exist. It is all homeland security now.

Not quite true but almost. The administration of US borders, customs and immigration used to handled by a number of departments including, the State and Justice Departments. In 2003 these all got subsumed into the new Dept. of "Fatherland" Secuirty. However within the DHS there are a few separate divisions. The US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) pretty much replicates the INS, though you are correct the INS does not exist anymore.

As for this new system, well its compulsory come January. Forms will still have to filled out even after then. Remember the I-94w form is not only your entry record but your exit record too when you hand up that last slip of green card when you board your plane home. There is no 'exit' check with the online system. The new system was concocted to deter those with less than ideal intentions from even boarding a plane to the US, not to speed up the entry of simple folk like us, however I've sure the DHS will put a nice spin on it.

Can you post that again? Database seems to have eaten your post. :)
Here we go again ..........

Got back this morning from a five day visit to Philadelphia. Had done the pre-approval before I went and to be honest it made no difference to me. Still had to complete the green I-94W , do the fingerprints and photograph , and queue up for immigration at Philadelphia with all the other passengers. Maybe things will change from 1st Jan when it becomes compulsory for all , but for now it seems that things are exactly as they were. The US Customs and Border official did comment to me that I was already "approved" when she scanned my passport , but thats about the only difference that it made.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I shall bother applying online until it becomes necessary.

Off to States in Sept too and very grateful to hear from you all.

Many thanks! :)

I bit the bullet and applied for myself and herself this evening.

Easy process, it took a long time for it to accept my application but eventually it accepted my details and straight afterwards I was approved. My partners application (UK passport) flew through in seconds. Again approved no hassle.

Now whether it makes a difference remains to be seen, but it does offer some peace of mind.

I just went online today and applied and got "Travel not authorised"

Traveling next week. Any ideas? Should I just got to airport and take my chances?

Leave your home/office now and go immediately to us consul in ballsbridge.
-try to phone first 6688777 but if you can't get through a real person, go anyway. Now.
No way you will get on flight if you have been denied authorisation.

Look again at every answer you wrote on your application. Did you write something incorrectly ? If so, you have a choice of resubmitting the application or going personally to consul and explaining.

If you are young, dont have much money(credit card/bank statments useful), a regular job (show proof of this), definite address over there then you may be screwed. a jobless young person with no guarantor/funds may have problems getting the O.K.

Now go and good luck

Can you change flight ?

I regret that no one else can really advise you except some Yank offical.
Even so-called experts (like I pretend to be as a travel agent) are,frankly , bewildered by the ever changing security regulations/procedure.

I am so sorry to sound pompous and perhaps this will help others reading this - getting the authoirsation before getting a ticket is a must. You don't need definite flight to get the authorisation.

I just went online today and applied and got "Travel not authorised"

Traveling next week. Any ideas? Should I just got to airport and take my chances?
Definately not. Check again that you entered all of your details correctly. You may now need to get a visa , contact the US Embassy asap.

Back