Two out of every four tradespeople are dodgy

any good tradesman, who gets repeated business from the same customers, can not afford to blacken their name is this way, its a shame there are the few that spoil it for for good ones.

Hello,as regards plumbers there is an organisation that will provide plumbers in your area and they are all qualified.They have a complaints procedure and are very professional.Institute of heating and plumbing engineers.
I also feel that a lot of problems would be solved if the client was holding a good percentage of the money until the end of the job although this can be difficult with a demanding plumber/builder or other.If you make it clear you will be paying a third at the very end you will get better service.Their interest wanes at the end because there is very little in it for them and they are thinking of the next job.
Be firm and not afraid.

My husband

Always completes a job, before asking for any money, only when the job is larger than average, will he ask for an upfront deposit, remember though, mutual trust, can work on both sides;)

Auctioneers.
I'd say they are a pretty high ratio, for a "profession". Even a bad tradesman would be better than the majority of Auctioneers.
Amazing really they havent been mentioned yet.

Must agree with Lala about this being a 2way thing - sometimes the customer can be to blame by having unreasonable demands or after the work is done, then realising they don't have any money on them! How convenient! I wonder if the same thing happens when they go to buy their groceries! As for tradesmen not turning up at the advised time - does anyone make allowance for traffic, delays at previous job, poor directions, breakdowns.... Incidentally, I don't work in the trade but we do provide limited services to domestic clients and TBH they're more hassle than their worth. Unreasonable demands like first thing in the morning - 8am so? - Oh no - maybe about 10am? Or I'll be in all afternoon - which turns out to be after 2 but I'll be leaving at 2.30 to collect the kids, won't be back again until 3.30 and then have to drop child to training at 4.00........ and then of course the selective hearing problem!

Good & Bad Co's providing a service but equally good & bad customers!

the main issue with tradespeople at the moment is that there is a huge amount of work available for them with the current economic state-irrespective of the quality of work that they do-they will still have plenty of work if they need it.this leads to complacency and thus a lower standard nof professionalism(turn uop when they want-and can charge what they want). Again though, it depends on the tradesperson.

Back