Train delay compensation - Iarnród Éireann/Irish Rail

None of us would go to Pana via McCurtain St or Merchants Quay - instead you'd cut through the old west Cork short cut, over the bridge, down Parnell Place and a side street to Pana.
Exactly!....its easier now, the old west cork short cut isnt needed as you go from the station direct to horgans, over the bridge, parnell and into the HiB in no time!.

Fair enuff biys - it's true that it's miles (well furlongs anyway) better than before. I actually google mapped the distance (can't post link from de fone) and I still wouldn't be assuring de maiden aunt that 5 mins will be loads of time for her to get to Kent!

I didn't say they were, it's just logical to assume that cash refunds would be more attractive and prompt more applications. It follows that cash refunds instead of future travel vouchers that costs them nothing, then the money to fund that and pay for any additional staff is going to come from increased ticket prices. They'd likely have to implement new payment systems to handle those refunds in place of the current system of posting out vouchers. They're running at a massive loss as it is.
I think its long about time that Iarnrod Eireann and the rest of TFI providers updated the payments system to a simple mobile app interface.

Then cash is no more and its simple to pay for your journey, to prove you have paid, and to be offered a refund , if ever req'd.
It makes zonal payment systems simple too to implement.

This is implemented by Finnish state railways and the Helsinki transport system is therefore a joy (metro, tram, bicycle, bus all in one app)....

The idea of requiring extra staff to post refunds is laughable in this day and age, if it wasnt so sad, I still see passengers queing like the 1980s with bits of copper in their hands.

Last edited:
Fair enuff biys - it's true that it's miles (well furlongs anyway) better than before. I actually google mapped the distance (can't post link from de fone) and I still wouldn't be assuring de maiden aunt that 5 mins will be loads of time for her to get to Kent!
fair enough, but it would get her from the HiB to Kent for the last carriage to Cob H in 5 mins !...

Last edited:
Now you're just being parochial!:D
I'm not from Cork - just a regular visitor - and I had even thought the HiB had closed following the passing of its legendary owner!?

Now you're just being parochial!:D
I'm not from Cork - just a regular visitor - and I had even thought the HiB had closed following the passing of its legendary owner!?
Good to know.. No, His Daughter took over. Same rules apply!!

Last edited:
If you wish to pay UK prices I'm sure they could have a better refund policy.

Somehow I doubt anyone wants to pay UK prices (Birmingham to London standard fare day return £106 (€120). Equivalent standard day return Dub to Cork, €66.
Why UK prices and UK standards?? . Perhaps we should expand our horizons, accepting that we are part of EU since 1973 and no longer a colony, as outlined earlier other systems and processes and ideas to UK do exist.
You can have value for money and be offered a refund!

The idea of requiring extra staff to post refunds is laughable in this day and age, if it wasnt so sad, I still see passengers queing like the 1980s with bits of copper in their hands.
In a heavily unionised environment, change only comes with concessions which mean more expense.

Back