total income of porter & nurse as per the sunday indo

thedaras

Theres an article in the Sunday Independant today,where a couple are featured talking about the effects of the budget.One is a hospital porter and the other a nurse.
Here is what they wrote about their earnings..
" I get paid every two weeks.My last wage slip was for e1.109 before tax.On top of that I got overtime of e170 and e184 double time.After all the tax deductons I came out with e1.124 for two weeks.That would be on the higher end of what I normally get.Rosies basic pay was e1.571 a fortnight prior to the pension levy.IN the last pay cheque they took e131 for the pension levy".

So lets say then they both come out with a similar amount ,that would be e4496.Plus childrens allowence of about e500 plus the early childcare payment ,they have 3 kids age 4 ,3 and 1.total is approx 5.250e a month.

They say the morgage is 1200e a month,and busfares of 300 plus childcare of about e1200( from what I can make out,its kind of confusing) a month.( as nurse does shifts).and life assurance of about e42 a month.

And they are complaining??
They finish the article by saying..
" we are facing a very bleak situation.we are almost scared to sit down and figure out how we are going to afford things because we know we are going to come up against a brick wall".
Why are they complaining??
Has anyone else read this article ? Am I missing something in it?

Well, 1200 a month for 3 kids, no way, that would barely pay for one baby in a creche. You'd be paying a lot more than for 3kids, no matter where they are.

"The pre-school is €35 for a morning and we were sending Josh there three mornings a week. We cut it back to one and now we are looking at cutting it out altogether. Our outgoings for child minding were €300 for the three children two days a week -- €50 per child -- and that was when Rosie managed to roster her shifts so that she would have two days at home with the children. The children's allowance didn't cover it. That came to €250 per child every three months or €750 every three months. ".

This is the section about childcare which was written,as I said it is a bit confusing...

All I can say is that a porter in RoI gets paid crazy money:eek:

Agree, this is what was written about his pay:

I get paid every two weeks. My last wage slip was for €1,109 before tax. On top of that I got overtime of €170 and €184 for double time. After all the tax deductions, I came out with €1,124 for two weeks.

Here is the whole article,would be very interested to see what others think of it;

While the Celtic Tiger roared, Brian Condra, 37, and his wife, Rosie, 36, invested in a modest home and raising their three children. Brian works as a porter at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin. Rosie is a nurse in the Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.
They borrowed within their means, skipped foreign holidays and harboured hopes of university educations for their children, Josh, 4, Jacob, 3, and Jill, who is one. Brian Condra tells how they were already struggling to live on their joint gross annual incomes of just over €60,000 when last week the Government rewarded their frugal lifestyle by pushing the family into the red. This is their story, as told by Brian:
"We never 'felt' the Celtic Tiger. We bought our house in Drogheda in November 2005. It was an old corporation house on a corporation estate. It has a scullery kitchen and we still don't have a proper one. Everything happens in the sitting room. We got a mortgage for €190,000.
We never felt the house was really worth it. Back in 2005 we could see that the property market was about to fall on its face. When the banks were encouraging us to take a mortgage of €350,000, we went for as low a mortgage as we could. We were fortunate that we did. We have friends who now, through one of them losing work, are facing the possibility of their homes being repossessed.
The first few years we were married, we were meeting our mortgage repayments, making sure it was paid every month and trying to get little bits and pieces done to the house. We concentrated on that and on the children.
We always wanted a car, but never really felt we could afford one. Instead of putting money towards a car, we wanted to put money towards the kids. We were never in a situation where we could do both. This year was supposed to be the first year that we were go to go on a family holiday. We probably would have gone to Wales or somewhere in Ireland, but that's gone now.
At this point in time, we are finding ourselves going under. Before the pension levy was introduced in December, we came out with probably in the region of €300 a month that we could play with. Since December's Budget, we are down roughly between €350 and €450 in any given month, depending on what overtime I can get in Beaumont Hospital.
That's only with the pension levy and the one per cent income levy, and before we take into account the Budget last week.
We are both going to be hit with the two per cent income levy, the four per cent health levy and the higher PRSI contributions. If children's allowance is taxed, we will be hit on that too.
I get paid every two weeks. My last wage slip was for €1,109 before tax. On top of that I got overtime of €170 and €184 for double time. After all the tax deductions, I came out with €1,124 for two weeks. That would be on the higher end of what I would normally get. Rosie's basic pay was €1,571 a fortnight prior to the pension levy. In the last pay cheque they took €131 for the pension levy.
We haven't yet sat down and looked at how Tuesday's Budget is going to affect us. At this point in time we are now looking at the possibility of taking our eldest child out of playschool because we can't cover the cost of it, what with all of our other outgoings, our mortgage, feeding the family and child-minding and travel for me because I have to get a bus to Dublin for work.
The pre-school is €35 for a morning and we were sending Josh there three mornings a week. We cut it back to one and now we are looking at cutting it out altogether. Our outgoings for child minding were €300 for the three children two days a week -- €50 per child -- and that was when Rosie managed to roster her shifts so that she would have two days at home with the children. The children's allowance didn't cover it. That came to €250 per child every three months or €750 every three months.
We can still manage to cover the mortgage, but have to curtail everything else. Our mortgage repayments are €1,200 a month and our life assurance is about €42 per month.
Interest rates have come down and we do have the option of availing of that, but we are trying to pay as much as we can. The reason is I have a fixed-term contract in Beaumont Hospital.
Thanks to Brian Lenihan's stunt of cancelling all fixed-term contracts, there is a strong possibility that when my contract runs out I won't have any work. So we are trying to keep the mortgage payments up as high as we can.
If we do eventually find ourselves in a position where I don't have work, we want to be a little bit ahead of where we should be. That way, we might be able to get some leeway from the bank.
We don't want to go into massive debt in the future -- that is our big fear at the moment.
We are looking at every way we can to cut costs without affecting the children. At the end of the day, you should have an expectation to be able to look after your children. We would have shopped predominantly in Dunnes Stores. We were into buying Irish.
We haven't gone up North (to shop) because we don't have a car, but we have taken to shopping at places like Aldi and Lidl.
We have had to curtail our bins. We were paying a yearly bill for the bin collection of €290. Now we are looking at the prospect of scrapping that. We are going back to the tag system, squashing every thing into fewer bins.
These things put so much stress on you as a couple. I love my job. Beaumont is a brilliant place to work. But coming home, I'm thinking, am I going to have a job this day next week or am I going to be let go. I'm carrying that burden home. And the same for Rosie.
If I lose my job, even if we cut the mortgage down we still won't be able to cover the repayments. Even if I retain my job and the next Budget comes in with more increases in tax, we are going to be in that situation anyway. Our biggest fear is losing our house. It doesn't seem to matter which way you look at it, there is no light on the horizon.
The Government says the cost of living has come down. If it has, we haven't noticed it. Our wages have come down in between and there is no benefit that I can see.
At the end of the day, we will endeavour to pay our bills and pay our debts, like most people.
That's the difference between the common person on the street and the developer who is constantly getting bailed out. The average man or woman on the street pays for them.
I am very angry, first and foremost at the banks. The banks acted so irresponsibly. Myself and Rosie went out, worked, we did our bit for society, we paid our taxes, never broke the rules, never broke the law. In terms of work, we abided by the agreements that were hammered out by the social partners. We have done nothing wrong. Yet we find ourselves in a situation where we are being asked to pay, as if we had done something wrong.
Meanwhile, the people who have created the problem -- the banks and the developers -- seem to be getting away scot-free.
I think, at best, the Government has shown itself to be blissfully unaware of the realities of life in modern Ireland.
I don't think that's a surprise when you have a Taoiseach who is paid the amount he is paid. He talks about feeling the pain . . . for me to work, I have to take a bus from Drogheda. That costs me €300 a month. That's an expense that I pay and I pay it willingly because it means I have a job.
Here we have TDs sitting in Dail Eireann lauding themselves as heroes because they have taken a 10 per cent pay cut. I find it offensive that they think a 10 per cent pay cut from a huge wage is some kind of big deal.
Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan don't seem to understand that they belong amongst the mega rich. They are not going to lose their homes. Their children will get to go through school and they will get to go to college.
Our greatest hope for our children is that they would get to go to college . . . We are now facing a future where they may not.
We are facing a very bleak situation. We are almost scared to sit down and figure out how we are going to afford things because we know we are going to come up against a brick wall."

Mrs Carpedeum is a nurse in a major Dublin hospital. One of the proposed changes is to remove the Saturday and Sunday allowances and probably other premiums too e.g. Night duty premium. The plan is to roster shifts 24/7 at the same hourly rate regardless of the day or time of day. Would other professions tolerate this? People are going to leave. Foreign nurses, who make up the staff shortages are leaving already. Even in the boom years of the Celtic Tiger this hospital was short of nursing staff! Sometimes two qualified nurses looked after 35+ patients on night duty! Work out the stresses and risks! HSE admin staff and out of control expenditure just kept on increasing.

Mrs Carpedeum is a nurse in a major Dublin hospital. One of the proposed changes is to remove the Saturday and Sunday allowances and probably other premiums too e.g. Night duty premium. The plan is to roster shifts 24/7 at the same hourly rate regardless of the day or time of day. Would other professions tolerate this? People are going to leave. Foreign nurses, who make up the staff shortages are leaving already. Even in the boom years of the Celtic Tiger this hospital was short of nursing staff! Sometimes two qualified nurses looked after 35+ patients on night duty! Work out the stresses and risks! HSE admin staff and out of control expenditure just kept on increasing.
Perhaps this should be a new thread,as honestly dont think it has any relevance to the original post.However you may notice that the porter got an amount of money for overtime and another large amount for double time!!
I also posted some time ago that when I was a patient in hospital that one of the nurses on duty slept while the other kept an eye on things!
And it was the nurses who wanted the 12 hour shifts in the first place!! I wonder how happy they would be to go on a normal 8 hour day?

Last edited:
Perhaps this should be a new thread,as honestly dont think it has any relevance to the original post.However you may notice that the porter got an amount of money for overtime and another large amount for double time!!
I also posted some time ago that when I was a patient in hospital that one of the nurses on duty slept while the other kept an eye on things!
And it was the nurses who wanted the 12 hour shifts in the first place!! I wonder how happy they would be to go on a normal 8 hour day?

But before bonuses, his pay was €1109 for 2 weeks pay.

That's nearly €29k per year for a porter's job. As someone who works in NI, if that's the sort of wages a porter gets for a basic month, then is it any wonder that the country is so uncompetitive.

But before bonuses, his pay was €1109 for 2 weeks pay.

That's nearly €29k per year for a porter's job. As someone who works in NI, if that's the sort of wages a porter gets for a basic month, then is it any wonder that the country is so uncompetitive.
Yes,and look at the amount he gets for overtime and then double time!
This is where a change in the mindset must come into play.

And if he does this overtime/double time every other two weeks we will remain uncompetitive,bear in mind that we are paying for this out of our taxes.
I presume a porter would not have a need for a 3rd level qualifacation?If so ,thats not a bad salary .
Also when the two salarys are added up ,plus childrens allowence plus the early childcare supplement,they are not doing too badly at all,which was my original point.What are they complaining about??

carpedeum, they are currently some of the highest paid nurses in the world. It is also worth noting that by EU standards we are massively overstaffed with nurses.
Porters are unskilled, requiring less training or skill than a builder’s labourer. They should be minimum wage jobs.

The article typifies the all pervasive culture of moaning entitlement than blankets this country like a cancer. If you are finding it hard get a second (or third) job, work more overtime, get a different job, sell the car etc. Whatever you do realise that you are an adult and are responsible for your own life. A maternalistic state running after you to make sure you don't fall and hurt yourself just makes you weak.

carpedeum, they are currently some of the highest paid nurses in the world. It is also worth noting that by EU standards we are massively overstaffed with nurses.

This is because our medical system is organised in a way which relies much more heavily on nurses than our EU counterparts. Basically, our nurses carry out functions which would be undertaken by doctors in other countries.

Just noticed that they haven't got a car either.

So they don't have the petrol, insurance, tax, maintenance costs etc that most of us have to put up with.

So they don't have the petrol, insurance, tax, maintenance costs etc that most of us have to put up with.

Eh, I hardly think that's a valid criticism.

That's hardly fair, aren't we supposed to encouraged people to use public transport.
Not everybody drives and if you live in a town or city, often a car is of little use to you if you're going to be paying for parking every day at work.

Anyway they spend 300 per month on Bus Eireann.
Actually, they're getting ripped off for that, there are taxsaver tickets you can buy for good rates if you are working
Well maybe they have the correct rate, seems a lot anyway

This is because our medical system is organised in a way which relies much more heavily on nurses than our EU counterparts. Basically, our nurses carry out functions which would be undertaken by doctors in other countries.
This statement is incorrect. As a doctor working in the Irish health system it is my experience that Irish nurses do not take bloods, cannulate patients or even give first doses of IV medications even if they have been on the relevant courses,it is done by junior doctors. If a porter is not available to bring a patient to theatre or to bring requests to the relevant departments then it is done by the junior doctor. The same applies if a phlebotomist or cardiac technician is similarly not available for whatever reason. I work approx 80 hours a week of which 25% of my time doing the above routine tasks ,40% of my time is spent on organising appointments/tests/chasing charts etc. The remainder of my working week is the clinical work I was trained for. Unlike others in the public system I do not want to work overtime. The 80 hours that I and other non-consultant doctors work provide basic medical cover in a Victorian health care system. This would not be so bad if the majority of my time was spent on clinical work.
Current HSE employee ratio is 49,000 management/administrative staff cater for 62,200 health workers. Of which less than 2000 are Consultants and approx 5000 non-consultant doctors. Quite a few departments such as radiology and pathology require little or no clerical support as they utilise “speech-to-text” software for reporting. One consultant requires one secretary ,one ward requires one ward clerk. I will leave to others to explain the 40,000+ managers and admin staff.

Sorry to shoot you down Doc. Was in hospital for six days recently and the nurses took bloods. They also cannulated. But you were right about Irish nurses not doing it. One was Indian and the other was Phillipino. Unless they were heavily disguised and telling me lies. And they did a great job.

Current HSE employee ratio is 49,000 management/administrative staff cater for 62,200 health workers. Of which less than 2000 are Consultants and approx 5000 non-consultant doctors. Quite a few departments such as radiology and pathology require little or no clerical support as they utilise “speech-to-text” software for reporting. One consultant requires one secretary ,one ward requires one ward clerk. I will leave to others to explain the 40,000+ managers and admin staff.

Holy Schmoly !!! :eek:

Too many chiefs, not enough indians !

Amygdala, I heard a consultant who moved back to Ireland after years with the NHS in England describe Irish nurses as over-qualified and under skilled. She also said that many have a very bad attitude to work with a general "not my job" attitude (not her words, her words would be a breach of the posting guidelines).
She said that the whole structure of the Irish health system was 20-30 years behind best practice in the UK.

She also said that they were massivly overpaid here. I pointed out that the same was true of consultants (and GP's) to which she agreed.

Maybe it is time to stop whinging, face reality and get on with it. A neighbour who was made redundant took the right attitude from the start.
He and his wife got out the paint brush and decorated rooms in the house. They have signed up to take in foreign language students over the summer. His own kids will spend the summer in tents and wooden houses in the back garden, which they love.
When the rush of summer students is over they will continue taking in one adult foreign language student out of season as he has a spare room. It is additional income coming in which will pay the bills while he continues looking for work.
I think this is a better alternative than ringing Joe Duffy and whinging that you are going to lose the apartment in Croatia

Back