This website is getting very quiet

This site is great for financial advice and nowhere else does it better.

For everything else, boards.ie is superior in terms of the quality of response. Boards is made up of somewhat younger, more technically savvy users. If I had a problem with an iPad or wanted to know more about the CPU on a laptop, I would never post the question here.

Certain forums on this site should probably be deleted as there is no traffic on them: Management companies, bargain alerts and recommend a tradesman come to mind immediately.

Decreased traffic on AAM may also be attributable to the fact it's still the same site....with no upgrade or face-lift for years. There is also no mobile version for the site which may put users on iPhones etc. off visiting.

One thing this site does well is the money makeover sections

Posters give their details with the template and then get the Eddie Hobbs treatment
But there are a few high horses who could give their advice without being condescending

AAM also used to be good for comparing saving accounts and credit cards and you could see all the rates
But that's rarely updated anymore

As for the Depths
The only way to stir this up is break the truce we had last year.
Unions rabble rabble, lazy civil servants with their gold plated pensions, all incompetent but can't be sacked, rabble rabble :D

There is also no mobile version for the site which may put users on iPhones etc. off visiting.

What's the story here Brendan? Any plans?

I have to say, I find AAM posters in general much more polite and reasoned than those on other forums (ditigal spy, Politics.ie for instance). The moderation is much better here. Yes, there are some smart arses who don't know the difference between wit and rudeness but they are very much in the minority and most of the worst offenders seem to have disappeared in recent years. We have a neighbourhood forum where I live and that has gone really really quiet in the last couple of years due to some incredibly bossy, rude posters constantly giving out to other residents. When I asked a question once about the rule regarding hanging out washing, I was ordered by one of these bossy boots to take it up with the Management Co and not be posting queries like that on the forum. Kind of off putting.

I agree though that LOS has gone very very quiet in the last couple of years.

Very true.

One thing this site does well is the money makeover sections

Posters give their details with the template and then get the Eddie Hobbs treatment
But there are a few high horses who could give their advice without being condescending

AAM also used to be good for comparing saving accounts and credit cards and you could see all the rates
But that's rarely updated anymore

As for the Depths
The only way to stir this up is break the truce we had last year.
Unions rabble rabble, lazy civil servants with their gold plated pensions, all incompetent but can't be sacked, rabble rabble :D

What's the story here Brendan? Any plans?

Excellent! :D

I've been amazed at how quiet The Depths have become in the last year or so. We can go 2 or 3 days, at times, without a new thread being started. I know we don't speculate about absent AAM members and friends but I think that things haven't been the same since Smashbox and S.L.F. stopped posting here............... :(

What I love about AAM is that we, compared to other sites, are a more closely knit bunch. While we can all guess what many posters will say in reply to threads and comments, and we push each others buttons now and again, we seem to tolerate each other and seem to get on fairly well, generally. And I like the fact that the Mods are willing to post like ordinary members, on various threads, also.

Now, Marion, Sue Ellen, Ajapale and Leo, how does it feel to be viewed as ordinary, like the rest of us? :eek: ;) :D

I think that part of the reason why things are quieter now is that you can no longer see a list of the other AAM members who're logged onto the site. I was really disappointed when that was removed. I used to stay on the site and engage others who I knew were on here also.

Boards.ie held onto the facility. I'm sure there is a good reason why the facility was removed from AAM. I'd prefer if it was still there though.

i think that part of the reason why things are quieter now is that you can no longer see a list of the other aam members who're logged onto the site. I was really disappointed when that was removed. I used to stay on the site and engage others who i knew were on here also.

Boards.ie held onto the facility. I'm sure there is a good reason why the facility was removed from aam. I'd prefer if it was still there though.

+1

Decreased traffic on AAM may also be attributable to the fact it's still the same site....with no upgrade or face-lift for years. There is also no mobile version for the site which may put users on iPhones etc. off visiting.

Discussed

I use about 5 or 6 forums on the net regularly, and the Moderation on here can, at times, be a bit OTT.

I find the simplicity of this site one of the best things about it. It's relatively easy to find what you are looking for, though agree there's a couple of forums that could maybe be merged into one, but that's a decision for Brendan.

We have the odd quality thread here in the Depths

The one about Becky going on a date was one of the best, anyone remember? :D

Worth a read

Not sure if It'd be called a quality thread or not but the one I remember most is S.L.F.'s thread about Toilet Paper In Or Out? You can see it here if you're doing nothing for the next hour or two! ;)

I use about 5 or 6 forums on the net regularly, and the Moderation on here can, at times, be a bit OTT.

I'd prefer that than rude, ignorant or downright weird posters being allowed run riot, as I've seen on other forums. On Politics.ie it seems impossible for anyone to have a discussion that doesn't turn into a slagging match.

Lex said:
Now, Marion, Sue Ellen, Ajapale and Leo, how does it feel to be viewed as ordinary, like the rest of us?

I can only answer for myself Lex, but I have always felt an affinity with the plebs despite my prestigious title :)

Marion

Why?

I guess this is directed at me.

Well because I really don't think there is any difference between us at the end of the day. There are many people who post on AAM who would perhaps make far better moderators than me. But hey!, I'm installed. For life!

I think I am too soft.

Or maybe it's because that I don't want to appear too teacherly or something awful like that. ;)

Marion

Back