Things that drive you nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The woman next to me at work
Cannot sit without making noise...not just talking, but grunting, sighing, humming, wailing and most oddly, meowing!

People who spray deodorant on their armpits while sitting at their desk.
(i am requesting a seat move today)

Bad Manners. I have a new assistant in work, she's quite young and seems to be quite a nice person. HOWEVER every single time I make her a cup of coffee and put it on front of her she doesn't even acknowledge it - I know I know it's a small thing really but I am getting so irritated just waiting for a thank you! - I have pointedly handed her a coffee and said along the lines of 'now here you go - I made you a coffee' - she just takes it and doesn't say a word - honestly drives me nuts. I am not expecting a medal or a blue peter badge but for gods sake, say thank you!

Bad Manners. I have a new assistant in work, she's quite young and seems to be quite a nice person. HOWEVER every single time I make her a cup of coffee and put it on front of her she doesn't even acknowledge it - I know I know it's a small thing really but I am getting so irritated just waiting for a thank you! - I have pointedly handed her a coffee and said along the lines of 'now here you go - I made you a coffee' - she just takes it and doesn't say a word - honestly drives me nuts. I am not expecting a medal or a blue peter badge but for gods sake, say thank you!
The solution to this quandry has already been posted on this thread.

Cannot sit without making noise...not just talking, but grunting, sighing, humming, wailing and most oddly, meowing!
Does she date?

Very common, goes on in any office I've been in

I've seen it so often I no longer find it strange

No its true.

I witnessed it 3 times myself yesterday. Its now common place.

I get antsy when the guy beside me does a loud 'aaaaaaah' after every sip of tea. If someone pulled out a deodorant at their desk, I'd so through them for a short cut and would not spare their feelings.

A good few years ago, someone asked me to borrow my newspaper and disappeared off for 10 or 15 minutes. When I saw them come out of the toilet and head over to me to return the paper, I told him to not to dare put that toxic health hazard back on my desk. He didn't dare ask to borrow my newspaper again, not anyone elses.

I get antsy when the guy beside me does a loud 'aaaaaaah' after every sip of tea. If someone pulled out a deodorant at their desk, I'd so through them for a short cut and would not spare their feelings.

What if they have BO problems, surely the scent of deodorant is better than the alternative?

People in work who go off on leave and as a favour you move along something fairly urgent for them and instead of saying 'thank you' when they get back they start saying 'oh but did you not check such and such'. Grrr.

I work with someone like this. Constantly humming, talking to herself, has about 3 different mobiles and one jingles and one jangles and one plays a blast of music at a volume that would blow your head off. Constantly listens to phone messages on speaker or has radio on at low irritating volume. When talking on the phone makes no attempt to keep her voice down but shouts all over the room.
She knows the work I do requires a level of peace and quiet (a lot of research and writing).

Have drafted email to my manager looking to be moved to a quieter area!

If someone pulled out a deodorant at their desk, I'd so through them for a short cut and would not spare their feelings.

Could be worse, what if they refused to use it

Look for the positive in every situation Tarfhead :)

People in work who go off on leave and as a favour you move along something fairly urgent for them and instead of saying 'thank you'

Did they bring back sweets?
In our office anyway thou shalt always bring lots and lots of sweets if you go on leave.
Just the rules

I work with someone like this. Constantly humming, talking to herself, has about 3 different mobiles and one jingles and one jangles and one plays a blast of music at a volume that would blow your head off. Constantly listens to phone messages on speaker or has radio on at low irritating volume. When talking on the phone makes no attempt to keep her voice down but shouts all over the room.
She knows the work I do requires a level of peace and quiet (a lot of research and writing).

Have drafted email to my manager looking to be moved to a quieter area!

A better option would be to have a simple 'open plan' protocol in place, include mobile phones on silent/meeting mode, no music playing (regardless of volume or use of earphones), no use of speaker phones etc.

yeah I thought about the whole 'thank you thing' but to be honest I am just a little annoyed - we have never had an atmosphere etc in office & I don't want to start being petty about it all and creating an atmosphere, she is quite young and a little immature i'd say. I tried not making the coffee at all - when I do that, she doesn't get up and make it either so I have to sit there with no coffee, I'm trying to be a nice boss but she's testing me I tell ya!

yeah I thought about the whole 'thank you thing' but to be honest I am just a little annoyed - we have never had an atmosphere etc in office & I don't want to start being petty about it all and creating an atmosphere, she is quite young and a little immature i'd say. I tried not making the coffee at all - when I do that, she doesn't get up and make it either so I have to sit there with no coffee, I'm trying to be a nice boss but she's testing me I tell ya!

Maybe she doesn't like coffee :D

Seriously, it could be that maybe she prefers to keep things a bit more at arms length. If I was a junior employee I might find it funny for my boss to be making me cups of coffee and vice versa. I'd say just make your own coffee. What else do managers do anyway? :p

Maybe she doesn't like coffee :D

Seriously, it could be that maybe she prefers to keep things a bit more at arms length. If I was a junior employee I might find it funny for my boss to be making me cups of coffee and vice versa. I'd say just make your own coffee. What else do managers do anyway? :p

Ahh you see - it's a very informal work environment, small group of people so not really an issue about boss making coffee etc well I wouldn't think so. I could never just make myself a coffee and not ask everybody else - we have never done that here. Ahh I'll just have to try to ignore it and hope her manners improve, am putting it down to her age for now!

Ahh I'll just have to try to ignore it and hope her manners improve, am putting it down to her age for now!
You have a specific duty to manage her performance. How she interacts with her colleagues is as important as what she does. My 'You're welcome' dig probably isn't appropriate as you are her line manager - but some clear direction from you on expectations when interacting with colleagues would be appropriate.

You have a specific duty to manage her performance. How she interacts with her colleagues is as important as what she does. My 'You're welcome' dig probably isn't appropriate as you are her line manager - but some clear direction from you on expectations when interacting with colleagues would be appropriate.

I understand. I have no problem giving direction and telling her exactly what needs to be done on all things work related, I have had words already about time keeping and some other minor work related issues. I guess in my mind, I am thinking that it's probably only me that this annoys so that's why I haven't said anything. Perhaps I wait till her review after Christmas and bring it up then.

Wow, next thing the poor girl will be getting a poor appraisal for not saying good morning

Wow, next thing the poor girl will be getting a poor appraisal for not saying good morning

Okay - that's a bit unfair. I have already said that I don't want to have to bring up something so petty, I didn't want to make any snide comments to her and I don't want to create some sort of atmosphere in what is a very pleasant work environment. Her bad manners do annoy me though & at some point I will probably have to say something, in reality she will be coming into contact with clients next year, at the moment she is training and learning the job so no contact with clients, next year will be different. I have just been putting off saying something to her because I can live with her bad manners if it just affects me, but if it affects our clients then I have no choice but to bring it up. I am hoping between now and then she'll cop on and learn some basic manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back