The Times of London/ Sunday Times Flash Sale

I was also charged Stg£5 and not €5 as advertised. I can not seem to access the Irish edition e paper of the Sunday Times

did you allow your browser to access your location? If you didn't I think it defaults to UK.

How do you find Irish content ?
There is only an Irish Section/Edition on Sundays. It is digital only (no epaper). (It is used to be daily - with very limited content on weekdays).

To access it on the Tablet App (android) you check along the sections listed at the top of the screen (News, World, Comment, Business, Culture, Ireland ,etc). If using a browser, it is accessed via the "Today's Sections" dropdown button, which is located right next to The Times logo.

If you want to access the Irish section of the Sunday Times sometime later in the week, you must first open the Sunday Edition. On a browser it is via "Past 6 days" button just next to the "Today's Sections" button. On the App it is via the "Past Editions" button at the bottom of the screen.

You can use either versions of the App - "Times & ST: Irish Edition" or the "Times: UK and World News". The layout is slightly different but I think the content is the same.

Last edited:
A note to anyone who did sign up for this offer.

The Times make it difficult to cancel the renewal. Although I rang to cancel the automatic renewal of the subscription was told it can only be cancelled within the last 4 months of the 12 month trial subscription and that I would have to ring again then.

Obviously the tactic here is that they are hoping to capitalise on people forgetting to cancel the sub in time.

Caveat Emptor!

A note to anyone who did sign up for this offer.

The Times make it difficult to cancel the renewal. Although I rang to cancel the automatic renewal of the subscription was told it can only be cancelled within the last 4 months of the 12 month trial subscription and that I would have to ring again then.

Obviously the tactic here is that they are hoping to capitalise on people forgetting to cancel the sub in time.

Caveat Emptor!

Correct. A good friend's ;) solution to this was to pay his subscription through Paypal and later to go into his Paypal account and block the Times from being able to automatically renew the sub. (Not that I'd dream of suggesting this cunning strategy to anyone else.)

Thanks to everyone for the info re this offer. I’m definitely saving money from it. I haven’t had to buy the Sunday Times and love the range of daily Sudoku puzzles.

Thanks to everyone for the info re this offer. I’m definitely saving money from it. I haven’t had to buy the Sunday Times and love the range of daily Sudoku puzzles.

It's a very good deal, but the quality of the "Oirish" hind-tit of the Sunday Times continues to plummet. Over the past couple of years they have lost all of their decent columnists and have replaced them with third-raters, as well as saving money by making some of their better reporters redundant.

I have a subscription for the Times. I asked them not to renew it on year two. On year one discounted subscription they slightly overcharged me and I sought and received a refund.

Was able to cancel the subscription with quick call which prompted an email confirmation of cancellation.

I called to cancel after a year and they persuaded me to keep on at same 'special introductory offer'.

Is there any laws around insistence that we must phone to cancel? If one can sign up online one should be able to cancel online, surely?
I believe that is meant to change at some point soon.

I simply will not take a subscription if I'm forced to call at some point Monday to Friday between 9&5 and wait and wait until someone deals with me.

It's the sole reason I don't subscribe to the Business Post and I have emailed them asking why they have such a policy. (No reply)

Irish Times has always permitted a simple email and it's a pity others can't do the same.

I will try that. Thanks for letting me know.
I rang them to cancel my subscription as the year ran out. I didn't wait too long on the phone and while naturally they try to persuade you to stay on, it wasn't that difficult to leave either. There was a bit of a Dutch auction actually....first I was offered a renewal at €2 per month, and when I refused that, it dropped to €1 a month but I didn't take either. Subscription was cancelled and confirmed by email. Couple of days later, there was a follow-up email, with a continuation offer same as the original, €5 for 12 months!

I did sign up for it, and a bit peeved to see that I was actually charged £5, but what the heck, I think I've still done pretty well on this one :).

Back