The Times of London/ Sunday Times Flash Sale

paper-folder

Flash sale of The Times/ Sunday Times being advertised at the moment, €5 for 12 months, only available in Ireland to new subscribers and until 10 am on Monday.

Seems like a good deal, any downsides to this? Is content relevant to Ireland? I presume that they try to get you to roll-it over at full subscription rate after the year.
Anyone take this up before?

Yes, I took this up last year, it was something similar, maybe €10 for the year IIRC. Good paper, good Irish content and columnists on Sundays, not much Ireland specific stuff on weekdays. You also get access to the full UK content of course.

Yes, they try to get you to take up a full price sub after the year is up - why wouldn't they?:) I didn't bite, but might get herself to sign up as a new subscriber at that price. We did that with independent.ie

I got a similar deal nearly 3 years ago. Still on the €5 pm with no push to upgrade. I reckon they must have missed me somehow!

The Irish content has gone down. There used to be a daily Irish page but now it is only Sundays and more limited even at that. They had a major downsizing at the Irish side last year.

They have also changed the main edition editor. The new guy is ex-Sun, I believe, and the line has become more Brexity and jingoist. Still, there is lots of good content for the price. Some good columnists and the arts/culture section is good. Worth it for €5!

Edit: If this deal is €5 for the full 12 months it is excellent. I can't see any downsides to that!

Last edited:
I did the Sunday Times/Times thing thanks, €5 for 12 months' digital content. That is some saving as against €208 for 12 months' hardcopy of the ST.

The Irish content has gone down. There used to be a daily Irish page but now it is only Sundays and more limited even at that. They had a major downsizing at the Irish side last year.

Not just gone down. It has deteriorated dramatically.

The paper version might be ok, but I suspect that has gone down as they got rid of a lot of experienced journalists last year.

But the online version is impossible to navigate. And then you discover that the story you are actually looking for is just not there. A lot of the Irish paper content never goes online. Even the Sunday Times journalists are frustrated by it.

I think I am getting it for €1 a month or something, but I certainly would not pay any more than that.

Brendan

But the online version is impossible to navigate

I agree about the dramatic deterioration in the Irish content. I also think the main (English) edition has deteriorated under the new editor- more tabloidish in general (that is apart from the lurch to the right - each to their own on that matter).
However, I don't have any issue with the navigation on the site.

Last edited:
I think that if you use it frequently, you remember the navigational quirks and can find your way around.

But if you use it only occasionally, you forget that "business" does not mean "Irish business".

And it doesn't help if you spend ages searching for something only to find that it's not there.
Brendan

I was paying €5 a month before the Irish section was taken away. I rang to say I would cancel and was put on €5 a year, which was taken from what I had already paid.
For anyone who likes daily crosswords and puzzles this is wonderful.

Is this price for E paper digital replica ?

My subscription (Times Digital Pack ROI) includes the E paper replica (I never actually use it). I think this is the standard pack for ROI digital subscribers. It also includes full access to the previous 6 days editions, and a full search function for past topics/articles.

Looks like I was charged 5 stg....mildly annoying as now have to chase their customer support to ensure I'm on the correct deal....however its a really good deal and you do get thre e replica paper.

Isn't the London Times available free of charge on Pressreader provided you input your Library card number. Hundreds of other newspapers, periodicals and journals are also free.
I don't think the Sunday Times ( Irish edition) is free on pressreader.
Are you saying the Sunday Times ( Irish edition) e paper can be got for only €5 per annum? If so, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Isn't the London Times available free of charge on Pressreader provided you input your Library card number. Hundreds of other newspapers, periodicals and journals are also free.
I don't think the Sunday Times ( Irish edition) is free on pressreader.
Are you saying the Sunday Times ( Irish edition) e paper can be got for only €5 per annum? If so, it's worth it.

The e-paper is the generic (English) edition. It is the digital edition of The Sunday Times (Irish edition) that is included. Plus the weekday Times (digital and e-paper).

Back