The Number of the Beast

sacrifice is going on tonight

Have to say I've never liked this particular turn of phrase in the song.

It sounds like "shenanigans" or something:

"Ah dem Iron Maiden boys - sacrificing now is it? Jayzuz ye can't be up to dem"

But great track obviously.

Organised Religion is the root of all evil.

Didn't you guys get the memo ?

Now is not the time for Richard Dawkins paperbacks!

Right now it's the republicans, their sinister supporters and especially Sarah Palin are the root of all evil. Please stay with the program as Obama's campaign is disintegrating before our eyes. There'll be plenty of time after the election for the religion hating.

The media are doing their part: a recent example was during John McCain’s convention speech, an anti-Republican heckler began yelling at him. Media officials removed the man and immediately gave him a job as a political correspondent for the new york times.

for the record, & from memory, the full lyrics are:

Night was black was no use turing back cos I just had to see was someone watching me
in the mist dark figures move and twist, was this for real or just some kind of hell?

Think it's Holding back. Still can't stop singing it in my head. And now I've got 2 minutes to midnight stuck there too.

According to www.getlyrics.com Cahir is right.

(It's a great site for obscure metal lyrics BTW - they even have Bathory and the like)

Also note, left alone (news to me)

I left alone, my mind was blank.
I needed time to get the memories from my mind.

What did I see, can I believe,
That what I saw last night was real
and not just fantasy.

Just what I saw, in my own dreams,
Were they reflections of my warped mind
staring back at me.

'Cause in my dreams, it's always there,
The evil face that twists my mind and brings
me to despair.

Night was black, was no use holding back,
'Cause I just had to see, was someone
watching me.
In the mist, dark figures move and twist,
Was all this for real, or just some kind of hell.
666 the number of the beast.
Hell and fire was born to be released.

Torches blazed and sacred chants were praised,
As they start to cry, hands held to the sky.
In the night, the fires burning bright,
The ritual has begun, Satan's work is done.
Sacrifice is going on tonight.

This can't go on, I must inform the lord.
Can this still be real or just some crazy dream.
But I feel drawn towards the chanting hordes,
They seem to mesmerise...can't avoid their eyes.
666 the one for you and me.

I'm coming back, I will return,
And I'll possess your body and I'll make you burn.
I have the fire, I have the force.
I have the power to make my evil take it's course.

While I cant really give out as I missed the entire verse, but surely its

"I must inform the law" ??, how would you inform the lord? prayer? (unless its the lord of the manor but that doesnt seem to tally).

btw, for those who've bought the recent stuff, isnt the song Dance of Death more a less a thematic re-run of Number of the Beast. One of the less satisfactory aspects of the "revival" since the album Brave New World is a few of these re-run songs. Another example is Dream of Mirrors being more or less Infinite Dreams.

And for those total Maiden nerds (yes, i'm one) when all the noise was being made about them being devil worshipers, on their next album "Piece of Mind" there is a recording backwards (i trashed a few needles doing this) at the end of a song - can't remember which one - which says "don't mess with things you dont understand".
My poor parents....

Just found this on google...

Hidden message

At the beginning of the sixth track, Still Life the band included a hidden message which could only be understood by playing the album backwards. This was a joke and an intended swing back at the critics who had accused Maiden of being satanic. The backwards-message features Nicko McBrain mimicking Idi Amin (or rather mimicking John Bird mimicking Idi Amin) uttering the following phrase "What ho said the t'ing with the three "bonce", do not meddle with things you don't understand...", followed by a belch. The phrase itself is taken from the satirical album The Colleckerted [sic] Broadcasts of Idi Amin by Bird and Alan Coren. "What ho" and "What ho said the t'ing" are phrases that also crop up regularly on McBrain's "Listen With Nicko!" tracks from the First Ten Years collection.

You probably won't believe this, but the first time I started reading this thread, someone in my office picked up a file and said "Ah - 666, the number of the beast".

Sorry for reviving a thread so long after the last post, but I couldn't post here at the time cos I hadn't been signed up to AAM for long enough!

Right now it's the republicans, their sinister supporters and especially Sarah Palin are the root of all evil. Please stay with the program as Obama's campaign is disintegrating before our eyes. There'll be plenty of time after the election for the religion hating.

A lot of wacko religious people in the US think that Obama is the second coming of the devil - reference to some passage in the book of revelations about a great leader who uses slickness to fool everyone into putting him into power, but then turns out to be the devil.

On the 666 thing, why did the Gardai chose it as the prefix on their phone numbers .e. 01-666 ????.

Driving into work on Monday through Tallaght, there was a white bus in front of me picking up school kids. It looked like an old CIE bus but where the route number would usually be, the number on it was..........666

Driving into work on Monday through Tallaght, there was a white bus in front of me picking up school kids. It looked like an old CIE bus but where the route number would usually be, the number on it was..........666

Yeah that bus is probably full of little divils !

From ;

"A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616."

I was reading a book the other night - imagine my horror when the page after 665 turned out to be...666!!!

I think the wind might have been howling outside the window as well...a bit. It was uncanny.

From ;

"A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616."

616 doesn't have quite the same ring as 666, does it?

Back