The boys in green

Don't get me wrong. That was more enjoyable than any Ireland soccer match I ever watched, men or women, and that includes Ray Houghton's goal! Every second was intense action unlike soccer which is half the time spoiling (kicking out of play) or playing for time. Doesn't matter if I haven't a clue why the fouls are given, though I think I understand the "forward pass".
New Zealand in QF
Wales in SF
France/SA in Final

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. That was more enjoyable than any Ireland soccer match I ever watched, men or women, and that includes Ray Houghton's goal! Every second was intense action unlike soccer which is half the time spoiling (kicking out of play) or playing for time. Doesn't matter if I haven't a clue why the fouls are given, though I think I understand the "forward pass".
New Zealand in QF
Wales in SF
France/SA in Final
Rugby and Hurling are the two best sports, in my opinion , no comparison to soccer , either men or women's game.
That would be a great path to the final , tricky I'll admit but exciting . Roll on the next game .

Unlucky they don't have a goal-kicker? They & we knew that before the start of the competition. Unlucky they gave away penalties in the red zone?
I think they were lucky not to lose by more, having been out-played, out-thought, and out-fought.
Spot on.

Though, I'm still not the better of that match.
I think I'm getting too old for that kind of heart stopping tension!!

Well done to all the lads for keeping their composure and Connor Murray's contribution was immense from the time he came on.

This team, this sport have united the island across breeds and creeds in a way nothing else has for years.

Yes agree wholeheartedly about hurling and rugby, the greatest and most exciting team sports ever, and both inherently Irish, Gaelic, Celtic, or whatever you're having yourself. I just wish we could get hurling onto the world stage.

Relax now lads and let the bruises, bashes, strains, sprains, and cuts heal for the next week. Massages, swimming, golf, handball, tennis, cards, and a bit of jogging and back into full-tilt training this day week.

I look forward to increased levels of telly screaming (an up-coming sport in its own right?) come the match against the Scots and one Irish guy from Naynagh (pron. Nenagh by non-natives and tourists).

And BTW, did you notice, despite the physicality and full tilt adrenaline and testosterone levels, not a single card, yellow or red flashed by the ref? Remarkable.

Great match. SA were undone by their inability to kick but if our line out had functioned in the first 20 minutes we'd have won comfortably.
No cards, no serious injuries and no dirty play.
The greatest strength of this Irish team is their ability to adapt to what's in front of them and change their tactics on the field. A brilliant performance.

On a trivial note, what's going on with rugby jerseys... when I turned on the TV I thought it was a soccer game.

Rugby kit seems to have gone from the classic sweater \ geansai style, to the snug version... to soccer style loose fit.

Might it have something to do with the weather conditions earlier in the competition? Hot and humid with water-breaks mid-way through each half.

Great game, but we've won nothing yet and have to do it all over again against Scotland. Lose that and depending on circumstances, we could be out.

I do have to say watching match of the day afterwards was hard.

Great game, but we've won nothing yet and have to do it all over again against Scotland. Lose that and depending on circumstances, we could be out.

No way will Ireland go out at this stage.
Scotland currently have a GD of +13. PaddyPower is betting that them versus Romania with a handicap of 59 points. So let's sat Scotland go into the match against us with 2 bonus points and a GD of 80. Ireland have a GD of +122. Scotland would need to beat Ireland with a bonus point.
But would it be the end of the world if Scotland beat us by a modest amount and we faced France instead NZ in the QF?

Last edited:
I have every confidence in an Irish victory. But you can never underestimate the underdogs, despite the maths and the odds by Paddy Power or any other Paddy , Duke..
That's just an observation not a worry for me though..

I usually enjoy a bit of the auld "foreign games" on the box, PL highlights games particularly. They seemed oddly flat and uninteresting last Saturday. Even the stupid drama queens rolling around on the turf after spoiling their perms failed to energise me into hurling my best Anglo-Saxon at the telly.

Scotland has proven to be a booby-trap team for us in the past but I just cannot envisage that this time around.

Pretty dour on Saturday night with even the usually majestic Manchester City shackled by a richly deserved sending off .
Match of the day 2 last night showed the beautiful game in its best light Arsenal - Spurs , Liverpool- West Ham & Brighton - Bournemouth featured a level of skill rarely seen in Rugby .
It really is just rucking , scrums and kicking for touch enlivened by the odd try .
The exception being the appallingly one sided games that have been a feature of this and previous World Cups .

Back