Suggestions for Honeymoon in Jan 2011

mollie_bud

We are getting married new years eve and hoping to go on honeymoon around the 3rd of jan. Because of work we'll probably only be able to go for a max of two weeks. Neither of us are into sitting around on a beach for two weeks but we don't want to spend two weeks walking around doing activities either just after a wedding-we'd like a mix of both. We've travelled around Europe a good bit and would like to go somewhere we won't have the opportunity to go to again, somewhere a bit different. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

IMO, I would be looking at Mexico, Thailand, S.Africa.... Theres heaps of places you could go to. Thailand is very cheap once you get there so as a honeymoon you could have the time of your life very cheaply. Mexico has always been my ideal please to visit, whereas my OH went to South Africa for New Years the year before we met and says it was the best trip of his life. He spent 3 weeks around Capetown and spent new years eve sloshed in a vineyard!

Consider the Budget and check out some flights, etc.

Mauritius is excellent. we went there last year and stayed in the Legends resort. we are not into sitting on a beach all the time either. The resort is fab, the food and service are amazing. You can do plenty of activities, swimming with dolphins, sailing, scuba diving, visiting other Islands, would really recommend.

South Africa - Same time zone so you do not lose days as you would by travelling to SE Asia.
Also is cheap and tons to see and do. Alternatively could do West Coast US

i would go southern hemisphere it is there summer there.was in legends mauritius as well spent 10days there. all luxury. beware of thailand, veitnam because i think it is their rainy season but you need to check that. what about aus a bit far for two weeks but everyone goes for christmas so flights in january out may be cheaper. my cousin getting married on 30th december and they are going to orlando usa

Good point Rosemartin I forgot about the weather they might have at that time of year.

Mauritius is excellent. we went there last year and stayed in the Legends resort. we are not into sitting on a beach all the time either. The resort is fab, the food and service are amazing. You can do plenty of activities, swimming with dolphins, sailing, scuba diving, visiting other Islands, would really recommend.
+1. We stayed in Legends too, all inclusive package and it was fab holiday. The beach and food were great and all the activities kept us busy if we wanted a break from lying around. I can't recommend that resort enough.

Everyone is suggesting sun holidays, which would make for a nice getaway from an Irish winter, but do you like snow holidays? I'm slightly obsessed with Canada. There are amazing ski resorts there. You don't have to ski/board every day (as you don't want a serious activity holiday). Hit the slopes for a bit, chill out in the hot tub. Nice! You could head to Vancouver and have a city break then a few days in Whistler. Or base yourself in Calgary and hit Banff/Lake Louise. It's just the best country. :0)

This year on New Years Day, my husband and I flew to Singapore and stayed 3 nights there in The Fairmont 5*.

We then picked up a Cruise(Royal Carribean) which visited, Phuket Thailand, Langkawi, Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur. (5 nights on board with a Balcony Superior D2 cabin, all food included)

On arrival back to Singapore , we flew on to Hong Kong for 3 nights and stayed in The Langham Place (5*)

B and B basis in hotels and full board on cruise. Flew with BA and Singapore Airlines. Total cost for 2 - €4k. Booked it about this time last year. Fab weather everywhere and the cruise was most relaxing in between the cities.

Highly recommended!

Hi

We got married at the end of Dec 2008 and went to Las Vegas for 8 days on the 3rd of Jan.
It was great, tonnes to do. We are not gamblers.
Got shows in, fab restaurants, saw the sights in vegas... you can go to the outskirts of Vegas and hike in the mountains etc or just relax around your hotel.

Loved it

Armada,
Who did you book your holiday with or did you just do it yourself? It sounds great! Was the cruise spending the day at each place and then dinner and sleep on board the ship?

Hi Mollie Bud.

I did the research and put it all together but booked it through Strand Travel in Waterford Tel 051 872 881 (Ask for Sarah). She got me a far better deal than anything I looked at.

Yes from the Cruise we had a day in each place and went back on board for dinner and bed each night.

PM me if you need more info.

http://www.strandtravel.com

Thanks, definately gonna look into that, it sounds good. We're looking at Dubai now too. We could end up going anywhere! ;-)

Bear in mind that after the wedding you are likely to be mentally (and if it's a good Irish Wedding !!) , physically wrecked, therefore why go travelling half way around the world when you might be too tired to enjoy it.

We got married in Jan as well, took a week in a really good hotel in Maderia, and then had a big holiday later on in the year

Good point Mpsox. Was thinking about that alright, as I become an emotional wreck when I'm over tired and stressed. Might be a stupid question but where is Madeira and what kind of holiday was it?

Maderia is further west of the Canaries.

Sun resort tpye place but I'm sure it has more to it than that.

I want to go myself at some point.

Ronaldo (the cry baby footballer) is from Maderia.

Good point Mpsox. Was thinking about that alright, as I become an emotional wreck when I'm over tired and stressed. Might be a stupid question but where is Madeira and what kind of holiday was it?

Maderia is in the Atlantic, not as far south as the Canaries. Very scenic, much more peaceful then the Canaries or any of the Mediteranean islands and it tends to attract a slightly older age group, so no lager louts etc. Quite a hilly island. Tends to be very busy at Christmas and New Year, so there are often good bargains to be had in the immediate weeks after that.

On arrival back to Singapore , we flew on to Hong Kong for 3 nights and stayed in The Langham Place (5*)

Stayed here as well and it was fab...I remember thinking it was dear relative to Thailand and Vietnam but in reality it was less than €100 per night and the breakfast was fab! Would go back in a heartbeat!

Back