Suggestions for Honeymoon in Jan 2011

Bear in mind that after the wedding you are likely to be mentally (and if it's a good Irish Wedding !!) , physically wrecked, therefore why go travelling half way around the world when you might be too tired to enjoy it.

Agreed, we got married in early December then took ourselves away to a boltholt near the wedding venue for a couple of nights then went back to work! Sounds a bit mad but we had the wedding, a few days to ourselves, spent Christmas at home then when the January blues kicked in we went on honeymoon!

Sri Lanka then Maldives.
Absolute bliss.

Was in Maderia in February was very cold. We go to Tenerife regularly and weather is warmer there.
South Africa is Fab. Take in quiet week near Cape Town to rest, lots of holiday lets, that can be rented for a few days, then explore the area. Bolders Beach is lovely with lots of Penguins, you can almost touch them they are so near. They will stay near but wont allow you to touch them.
The drive around the Garden route is really nice. Stellenbosh is excellent if you like to see wine making, try one of their picnics, they are very enjoyable.
Dont forget to do a game reserve, the magic of the animals, that is if you like animals, you will remember for ever. Go to the best you can afford, it is worth it. The rest of the trip accommodation is cheap and plentiful. Driving is on left hand side too. Car hire is cheap. Stay on the main roads, dont drive after dark.
South Africa is cheap once you get there. The weather is excellent in Jan. The temperatures around Cape area is lovely about 25deg. around Hout Bay, Galway Bay and Clifden is beautiful. There is no time change, so no jet lag.
Dubai is lovely and restful. Do go to see the 7 star Hotel, Burg al Arab, a sight to behold.
All the hotels ar good there, the heat at that time of year is ok. Enjoy wherever you go. Good Luck Browtal

Thanks everyone for the replies, still can't decide where to go! Agreeing with the idea of avoiding a long haul flight straight after wedding so thinking of going somewhere a couple of hours flight away for a week and then going to New Zealand for two weeks at Easter. We were thinking of Madeira but a bit put off now at the thought that it might be cold and apparently it can rain a bit there in January. Browtal, is Tenerife very package holiday/Canaries etc? We were looking at Dubai but it was going to cost us about €4000 for the two of us for the week just B & B and it would have taken nearly a day to get there with having to get connecting flights etc. Where's the best airline/travel agent to look at for flights to South Africa?

Thanks everyone for the replies, still can't decide where to go! Agreeing with the idea of avoiding a long haul flight straight after wedding so thinking of going somewhere a couple of hours flight away for a week and then going to New Zealand for two weeks at Easter. We were thinking of Madeira but a bit put off now at the thought that it might be cold and apparently it can rain a bit there in January. Browtal, is Tenerife very package holiday/Canaries etc? We were looking at Dubai but it was going to cost us about €4000 for the two of us for the week just B & B and it would have taken nearly a day to get there with having to get connecting flights etc. Where's the best airline/travel agent to look at for flights to South Africa?

Slatterys ran a direct charter flight to Cape Town a couple of years back but I don't know if they are still doing it.

What about Turkey for somewhere that is not too far but a bit different. I have never been but would love to see Istanbul.
If you were originally thinking of Dubai, maybe you would consider Oman. Again, I have personally never been but have heard it is nicer than Dubai.

After my wedding 30 odd-years ago I went to Greece. The wife went to Spain.

Look, nowhere in Europe, nowhere in any Med country including North Africa has warm weather. No Canaries, Madeira. Almost nowhere within six hours.

It can only be the Red Sea where you can have a great fortnight holiday for a total of 2.000 euros in reasonable accommodation or 3k for all-inclusive deluxe.
And the weather will range from (rarely) cool/mild to (usually) warm and sunny.

5/6 hour flight is better than 15 hrs-plus from Dublin via xyz to Capetown (I include stopovers and changes in the 15 long hours). As great as S Africa is you'd be looking at well over 4k for a decent holiday with some tours.

For our honey moon We did a cruise in Jan this year. We went to Orlando for a week then a cruise which was the best thing we have ever done then finished up in New york for a week.

Back