sterling/euro differences in shop prices.

Anyone spot that Tesco appear to have stopped their Euro for Pound pricing on clothes for the winter season? Their winter range is priced in both pound and euro (e.g. jacket was priced at £20 and €23). A lot closer to a real exchange rate than they used to have!

Let's hope the other UK retailers follow suit! (no pun intended...:))

Anyone spot that Tesco appear to have stopped their Euro for Pound pricing on clothes for the winter season? Their winter range is priced in both pound and euro (e.g. jacket was priced at £20 and €23). A lot closer to a real exchange rate than they used to have!

Let's hope the other UK retailers follow suit! (no pun intended...:))

Noticed that today alright, bought a halloween costume for my youngest. 10 sterling or 11.50 euro!

The difference in rents payable should also be taken into account - far dearer to rent here than in the North I would have thought.

Yes, high comm rents are one of the main reasons retail prices are so high in Ireland.

The temp VAT difference of 6.5% extra will soon be 4% extra, and that's a minor difference.

Whereas 100% extra rental costs in RoI is a massive factor.

Gipiman apparently they ceased their "save the difference" scheme at the end of September. I notice there was no fanfare about that.

It's interesting that even with their prices creeping up they're still apparently the cheapest supermarket in the Republic for essential item groceries. That's according to the pricewatch on The Afternoon Show.

Hi. My daughter is doing up a room. Got price in Dublins " Laura Ashley" for curtains,wallpaper etc. She went on line to their Belfast shop and picked out what she wanted and found same products were 500 Euro cheaper. She rang Belfast. Paid for her order in sterling and arranged to collect it in Belfast. Well worth while.

Debenhams in Newry were giving 93 p to the Euro yesterday. Although all there products have a €IRL price, these prices are not as good as the rate in the shop.

What bugs me is the number of people who complain about prices charged in Ireland by british store and the go to the EXACT SAME stores in northern ireland to buy stuff! - WHY??????

Try checking prices in local independent retailers that price their goods locally based on recent exchange rates and not in some high rise office block in London - you'd be VERY surprised at the results.

example - my stores which i can't name, currently use 1.13 exchange rate on all UK bought product and have done so since last year. I know 2 other fashion retailers who are just as ****ed off as they seel items similar to Debenhams (same brands) at 20% less - but everyone just assumes that Debenhams will be cheaper! - which is utter rubbish!

I saw a pair of boots in my local M&S yesterday priced at €60. The sterling price under this price was £45. That's a bit steep even allowing for rents etc.

I spotted a pair of boots I liked on the M&S website, Sterling price £79. I went into town to buy them, Euro price €109. I came home empty handed.

Instead of whinging about paying 40€ for something that was SIMULTANIOUSLY labelled for 30£ why not complaint to the national consumer agency. This is clearly an invitation to pay with either currency. If a shop does not allow you to pay in either currency then surely it is breaking consumer laws? The only gotcha would probably they will only accept the exact amount or wont give you sterling change.... Or do what I do, just dont entertain it, let them keep their whacky price differences

Instead of whinging about paying 40€ for something that was SIMULTANIOUSLY labelled for 30£ why not complaint to the national consumer agency. This is clearly an invitation to pay with either currency. If a shop does not allow you to pay in either currency then surely it is breaking consumer laws? The only gotcha would probably they will only accept the exact amount or wont give you sterling change.... Or do what I do, just dont entertain it, let them keep their whacky price differences

You need to take a further read of the legislation, it is an invitation to treat, and this does not form a legally binding contract. The shop is perfectly entitled to refuse to sell you an item at any price. The shop is also under no obligation to accept any currency other than Euro.

The difference is not just in shop prices-
Littlewoods catalogue is unbelievable...saw a dress on Littlewoods.com for £35- the very same dress on Littlewoods.ie is €83!!!!
The day I looked the £35 was equal to €39!!! How can they justify this difference?
Littlewoods dont have a store so difference cant be put down to overheads, rent, wages etc of running store in Ireland.
Even if you have northern Ireland address to deliver goods to- the littlewoods.com recognises the Irish credit cards and doesn't allow the purchase....
So is it just they recognise we are easy targets to be ripped off?

The difference is not just in shop prices-
Littlewoods catalogue is unbelievable...saw a dress on Littlewoods.com for £35- the very same dress on Littlewoods.ie is €83!!!!
The day I looked the £35 was equal to €39!!! How can they justify this difference?
Littlewoods dont have a store so difference cant be put down to overheads, rent, wages etc of running store in Ireland.
Even if you have northern Ireland address to deliver goods to- the littlewoods.com recognises the Irish credit cards and doesn't allow the purchase....
So is it just they recognise we are easy targets to be ripped off?

Yet another UK retailer with this pricing practice!!

Anyone seeing the similarity between all the compaints about unfair differences between sterling & euro??

Each and every one of them is about a UK retailer who obviously does their pricing in the Uk and uses a farcial exchange rate!

They take no account of the real exchange rates like Irish retailer do!

Support IRISH retailers - we use REAL and current exchange rates.

Yet another UK retailer with this pricing practice!!

Anyone seeing the similarity between all the compaints about unfair differences between sterling & euro??

Each and every one of them is about a UK retailer who obviously does their pricing in the Uk and uses a farcial exchange rate!

They take no account of the real exchange rates like Irish retailer do!

Support IRISH retailers - we use REAL and current exchange rates.

Fair point.

I was in Debenhams in NI today. Something for 10 stg was 15.50, 35 stg becomes 54, etc.

Adding 55% to the stg price is madness.

Its not only the UK retailers though.
Think Irish bookshops and newsagents here....a magazine i buy has a £3.90 rrp.
Its €5.91 here...........and there are lots of other magazines and books like this.
PURE GREED....................and they wonder why we buy books etc. on-line!

Its €5.91 here...........and there are lots of other magazines and books like this.

To be fair to the RoI shop, it should be said that there is 13.5% VAT on mags here, 0% in the UK.

Although that 5.91 euro is still too high.

There is a thread discussing magazine prices, have a search for it.

Bookshops curreenty use between 1.15 & 1.20 exchange - certainly those I've been in recently. This is about the correct average buy rate for sterling over the past few months. - Todays rate is 1.136, even though the official rate is 1.104.

As for magazines the following is the current calculation

uk cover price + 10% distribution charge
x current 6 month set exchange rate of 1.18
+ 13.5% vat

No rip off applying there.

I have no interests in the book / magazine trade.

McVities Victoria 800g box of biscuits - £4.99 stg in dunnes stores in newry, and €5.49 in Tesco Dundalk.
still a bit of value to be got south of the border. not everything is cheaper North.

Back