sterling/euro differences in shop prices.

chrisboy

My girlfriend bought a pair of jeans from an irish outlet of a UK chain recently, and the price was 33 euro, yet on the tag was the sterling price of £22. Now, with the exchange rate around the .85 mark, i was wondering does anyone know of any shops that will take sterling? I know i bought stuff in Arnott's last December and they took sterling..

A lot of the shops here may take sterling, but they would most likely use a fixed rate of exchange. This rate might be fixed on a daily basis, or maybe a weekly basis - it depends on the shop. If you're wondering if you could pay the Sterling price marked on an item with Sterling, well, many other posters here have wondered the same thing, but so far, no one seems to have tried it.

I was in a department store in Lisburn last week and saw a dress for £100 with a euro price of €160!

If you really want to see rip off exchange rates, pay a visit to the re opened Iceland store in Ballyfermot. £1 comes in at a jaw dropping €1.75!

If you really want to see rip off exchange rates, pay a visit to the re opened Iceland store in Ballyfermot. £1 comes in at a jaw dropping €1.75!

Madness! That alone would justify driving to a branch in the North.

I've heard a story that this guy went into M&S in Liffey Valley, brought 3 or 4 hundreds worth of clothes to the till and when the assistant gave him the total price, he insisted that he paid for the clothes at the sterling price but in euro equivalent (at that days exchange rate).

Apparently when the manager came over he agreed to it.

I was in M&S in LV today and it looks like they have removed all the sterling prices from their clothes or at least covered them with stickers.

I've heard a story that this guy went into M&S in Liffey Valley, brought 3 or 4 hundreds worth of clothes to the till and when the assistant gave him the total price, he insisted that he paid for the clothes at the sterling price but in euro equivalent (at that days exchange rate).

Apparently when the manager came over he agreed to it.

I was in M&S in LV today and it looks like they have removed all the sterling prices from their clothes or at least covered them with stickers.

That's close to what i'm talking about, but a lot of shops wont do it..

I was in Boots in Dundrum today and they have the £ / € displayed where £1 = €1.50 so I didn't bother buying anything there.

I was buying a gift set in Boots a few weeks ago priced at €15. When I went to the till I was charged something like €13.50. The cashier said it was because of the change in the sterling/ euro difference.

I was buying a gift set in Boots a few weeks ago priced at €15. When I went to the till I was charged something like €13.50. The cashier said it was because of the change in the sterling/ euro difference.

There are signs dotted around the stores announcing "Christmas price drops", with a handy reckoner for working out the actual price. Nice to see that someone is finally taking note of the currency fluctuations!

Yeah, fair play to Boots, tag price was €22 was charged €20 at till.

I fail to see the logic in constantly comparing the euro price with that which is being charged in the uk.
Firstly if an article is priced at €10 and you think that is good value then that is a stand-alone view. If you then see that it is priced for the UK market at STG£5 ( €6 approx), it should not cloud you judgement as to whether €10 is good value.
Alternatively if the article was priced at STG£10 (€11.50) it still does not alter the good value or not of the original price of €10.

I fail to see the logic in constantly comparing the euro price with that which is being charged in the uk.
Firstly if an article is priced at €10 and you think that is good value then that is a stand-alone view. If you then see that it is priced for the UK market at STG£5 ( €6 approx), it should not cloud you judgement as to whether €10 is good value.
Alternatively if the article was priced at STG£10 (€11.50) it still does not alter the good value or not of the original price of €10.
I sort of see what you are saying but it is more a question of fairness than willingness to pay. Often purchases won't be based on 'is this good value and am I willing to pay the price' but on 'do I need/want this product and am I (perhaps reluctantly given I have no choice) willing to pay the price'. Just because I am willing to pay the price doesn't make me happier if someone else gets it cheaper for no good reason than the seller think that I am a patsy with no choice but to pay more - which I find offensive. And often, there will not be an identical substitutable product available to buy so I can't take my custom elsewhere.
My worst is skincare wipes (for teenage daughter so no choice...) from the Body Shop - €9.99 here and £5.50 in London - 82% difference which no exchange rate/VAT difference/shipping costs can justify. I am willing to pay the €9.99 here when I run out of stocks bought in London but I will stock up next time I am over there and I feel quite aggrieved generally at the Body Shop so if there ever is a substituable product (or any chance to take my custom elsewhere) I will.

Tesco seem to be doing a similair thing to what Boots are now doing, was Tesco Mahon Cork at the weekend, went to but pair of tights, priced at 5.50, yet when i went to pay for them they were only 4.95. there was a 10% sterling discount on the receipt. :D

Now if only the likes of Jane Norman and Warehouse copped onto this and stopped marking up clothes nealy 50% as opposes to the actual exchange rate I would be a lot happier!!!! :mad:

1.00 EUR

=

0.964134 GBP

On the 27 Dec 2008 in Whitewater Newbridge
monsoon are selling a top valued £45 for €55.
Jean Norman have slippers for £14 but cost €26.
Debnhams have a cardigian which cost €54 but onlt £36.
Have any other contributors similair examples.
Personally I can do without any of these products.

1.00 EUR

=

0.964134 GBP

Debnhams have a cardigian which cost €54 but onlt £36.
Have any other contributors similair examples.
Personally I can do without any of these products.

Of Course all department stores are similar.........You must remember that these items are not moving as fast as the exchange rate is at the moment, and these tags were prepared probably at least 2 months ago.

Also remember most of these goods were imported from UK which means extra costs like .......Transport , Storage , Customs Clearance , Port Agency fees , Distributor Fees , Merchandiser wages , ............and many more costs which the UK retailer are passing on to the Irish consumer .

Also remember most of these goods were imported from UK which means extra costs like .......Transport , Storage , Customs Clearance , Port Agency fees , Distributor Fees , Merchandiser wages , ............and many more costs which the UK retailer are passing on to the Irish consumer .

Very little to do with it: by far the biggest factor in retail pricing is charging what the customer is prepared to pay. We're prepared to pay for it (or were, until very recently) so we get charged more. Simple, really.

Of Course all department stores are similar.........You must remember that these items are not moving as fast as the exchange rate is at the moment, and these tags were prepared probably at least 2 months ago.

Which has nothing to do with the exchange rate. The tags being prepared 2 months ago is irrelevant. If sterling jumped up 20%-25% in the morning do you think changing the tags would be a problem??
Extra costs like extra costs like .......Transport , Storage , Customs Clearance , Port Agency fees , Distributor Fees , Merchandiser wages has nothing to do with the exchange rate either, these costings are factored into the retail price already.
Heres a question I have wondered about. If an Irish store prices in euro & sterling are they oblidged to accept sterling as a cash payment.?
Might be worth wile taking a trip to the bank on your way to the shops.

Extra costs like extra costs like .......Transport , Storage , Customs Clearance , Port Agency fees , Distributor Fees , Merchandiser wages has nothing to do with the exchange rate either, these costings are factored into the retail price already.

Yes but these are factored into each price individually - therefore the UK price doesn't bear relevance to the Euro price. If you take an adults item of clothing for instance there is a 6% difference in VAT between the two prices. Should the retailer charge more in the UK purely to narrow the price differential on the dual price ticket?

Back