Smart Meters

Senben19

I got a letter from ESB saying Smart Meter to be installed in coming weeks.

1. What is the benefit to me from having a Smart Meter?

2. Am I legally obliged to allow ESB to change my meter to a Smart Meter?

Thanks.

No you don't have to have it installed if you don't want, however if at any stage in the future your existing one breaks then it's a smart one you will get! Don't know whether or not there will be a charge at some stage if you want to change voluntarily, I'll take my chances!

No benefit that I know of unless you want to opt for one of the Smart plans available but equally no obvious disadvantage. People say you don't get estimated bills but I haven't had an estimated bill in years as I just input a reading regularly online with my supplier but then again I monitor my electricity very closely these days out of curiosity as to what uses what. I suppose it saves the very minor inconvenience of having to read and report your own usage, that said I still have a real live meter reader calling every few months.

Thanks Clubman.having read the 'benefits' my conclusion is tbat there are none (for me anyway).

The ESB phoned me about this around a year ago. The guy I spoke to told me there was no benefit to it so I declined. In another property they installed it without my knowledge as the meter was outside. When I sold the house we couldn't get a meter reading without someone being present, something about new smart meters not being able to connect initially, I didn't really understand but that's what they told me.

I got a letter from ESB saying Smart Meter to be installed in coming weeks.

Thanks.

You can track your usage better with a smart meter.. Then with that information change to a plan that suits your usage.

You can also take advantage of smart meter plans which until recently were more expensive than older plans, but lately some of the smart plans are better, depending on your usage. Used not to be able to get a day/night plan with a smart meter but you can now.

Once you switch to a smart plan you can't switch back to non smart plans. Initially smart plans weren't very attractive imo but prices seemed to have improved.

When I was with SSE Airtricity they requested meter readings a few days before my bill was issued despite me having a smart meter. One of the selling points of the smart meter was remote reading of meters so I don't know why I had to submit readings.

I have a SmartMeter for some time now, with a not-Smart plan (ie, same rate for all hours of day) but one that does the automated readings.
Unless you really like the process of submitting manual meter readings, or going to miss the chat with the meter reading person if/when it shows up 1-2 times a year, there is really no reason whatsoever to not get a smart meter installed.

The usage tracking alone is worth it. But to be honest, I fail to comprehend why people would object to getting a smart meter.

My smart meter was installed in 2020 and at the time I felt that the plans been offered seemed like bad value compared to standard
I felt that the peak rate was unfair to users especially families that might not be able to change their usage habits between 5pm and 7pm
and also that the night rate been offered on a smart rate plan was well above that of night rates on standard plans

In 2023 I decided after examining my usage to change over to a smart plan and give it a go and I'm very happy that I did
I opted foe the free electricity on Sunday plan with Bord Gais and saved €600 that year compared to the standard plan
but not only that I also calculated that if I didn't have the free electricity and that usage was charged at peak rates I still would have saved €140

This year I moved off the free electricity plan and opted for BG's EV smart plan and from what I can see sofar is saving me money compared to a standard plan but not sure as of yet which of the two smart plans will work out the cheapest given my usage but I think it's going to be closer then I thought it was, time will tell
So to answer your first question from my point of view, cheaper electricity, simple as!!

I have a SmartMeter for some time now, with a not-Smart plan (ie, same rate for all hours of day) but one that does the automated readings.
How did you get the automated readings turned on when not on a smart plan ?
Is it a case that some suppliers allow it and others don’t ?

I also have a smart meter and have to submit readings to SSE Airtricity so as not to get an estimated bill. I am on a standard plan rather than a smart plan. SSE told me you have to be on a smart plan to have smart services activated allowing automated readings.

Smart meters don't require a smart plan to be activated, regardless of who your supplier is or what plan you are on, they feed back usage on 30 minute intervals (unless you're one of the few in an area with no mobile coverage). Anyone with a smart meter can sign up on ESB Networks to download their usage data.

My experience is similar to Cervelo's. As I work from home I always assumed smart plans would cost me a lot more, but looking at recent data with a few minor changes I could save a couple of hundred a year on a smart plan.

Got my smart meter back in summer 2022 and since then all my readings are taken automatically. I still have not switched over to a smart meter plan.

Thanks Clubman.having read the 'benefits' my conclusion is tbat there are none (for me anyway).
As mentioned above you can track things better with a smart meter via this site:

And, once you have a reasonable amount of data, the HDF data provided can be used with this site if/when shopping around for the best plan for your needs:
When your smart meter is installed it's effectively the same as your old meter except that it will report meter readings automatically and regularly.
This wasn't clear to me when I asked this question but it all panned out OK in the end:
Only if/when you activate smart services for the meter does it really become a smart meter and therafter you can only choose from smart plans.

In summary - I would (and did :)) let them install it now and just keep using it as a regular meter until such time as smart plans suit your needs better.

Is it a case that some suppliers allow it and others don’t ?

I also have a smart meter and have to submit readings to SSE Airtricity so as not to get an estimated bill. I am on a standard plan rather than a smart plan. SSE told me you have to be on a smart plan to have smart services activated allowing automated readings.
I have looked into this a bit further. SSE Airtricity tell me I don’t have smart meter services activated so my smart meter is only read remotely once every 2 months. SSE ask for readings for accuracy as the last remote reading they got might not align with my billing period.

To activate smart meter services where they take readings every 30 minutes while remaining on a non smart plan you phone them. They will turn it on and you can stay on the non smart plan but once you turn on smart meter services it can not be turned off again. I will have to think about that.

At this time anyway, smart plans won’t be beneficial in this household, so for the moment I will stay on a non smart plan and won’t activate smart meter services and give a reading online every 2 months for accuracy.

Last edited:
I have looked into this a bit further. SSE Airtricity tell me I don’t have smart meter services activated so my smart meter is only read remotely once every 2 months. SSE ask for readings for accuracy as the last remote reading they got might not align with my billing period.

To activate smart meter services where they take readings every 30 minutes while remaining on a non smart plan you phone them. They will turn it on and you can stay on the non smart plan but once you turn on smart meter services it can not be turned off again. I will have to think about that.

At this time anyway, smart plans won’t be beneficial in this household, so for the moment I will stay on a non smart plan and won’t activate smart meter services and give a reading online every 2 months for accuracy.
I have been with energia, SSE and flogas over the last 12months. SSE were the only ones who would not take a meter reading without the smart meter services which is effectively forcing you into a smart meter plan.

Last edited:
SSE Airtricity tell me I don’t have smart meter services activated so my smart meter is only read remotely once every 2 months. SSE ask for readings for accuracy as the last remote reading they got might not align with my billing period.
Why are you talking to SSE? Register on the ESB Networks site linked above, it is they who own and manage metering and they make the data available to all energy consumers on a smart meter.

SSE were the only ones who would not take a meter reading without the smart meter services which is effectively forcing you into a smart meter plan.
That has not been my experience with SSE. I have a smart meter, I am not on a smart plan, I don't have smart meter services activated.
I had no problems giving SSE a reading and am not being forced on to a smart meter plan.

That has not been my experience with SSE
It is exactly the same experience you have with SSE?!?

I also have a smart meter and have to submit readings to SSE Airtricity so as not to get an estimated bill.
You want auto reading?!?. Other providers do this automatically, SSE ask you to sign up to an additional service which ties you into a smart plan.

I had no problems giving SSE a reading
If no problem then why the fuss?

You want auto reading?!?. Other providers do this automatically, SSE ask you to sign up to an additional service which ties you into a smart plan.

If no problem then why the fuss?
All I can say is with SSE I can, if I want to go on auto reading and keep my non smart plan, no idea why you can't do the same.

There is no fuss, I wondered why SSE ask me to submit readings when I have a smart meter, I now know why.

Off to watch Prime Time now.

Last edited:
Back