SF rating higher than FF in poll

I can understand why people (particularly those on low/no incomes) would be drawn to SF in times like this - they have no confidence whatsover in the other parties. However, the phrase, "Be careful what you ask for" springs to mind. I would seriously consider emigrating if SF were elected.

I reckon a lot of us are looking at emigrating either way. The phrase I think you are refering to is "be careful what you wish for". A lot of people got what they asked for and more besides. We will all pay for it now.

Didn't like the Gardai removing the posters from the Cherry Picker outside the Dail today mind you. Not their job and a poor reflection on them imo.

Maybe people see Sinn Féin as more community workers with the communities interests at heart and prefer the likes of them in government instead of career politicians out to feather their own nest and that of their friends. Surely Sinn Féin couldnt do as bad as the current shower??
I'll be voting SF and any of the United Left Alliance seeing as they only take the average working wage which I think is commendable when you think of the recent expenses scandals and exhorbitant wages of our public representatives.

And that's the only reason ?! :eek:

:) Not the only one but I think its one of the more admirable ones, especially when I think of Lowry, Callally and the other sleeveens in the Dáíl.
I actually read the Sinn Féin pre-budget proposal and was impressed by it. I know the Sinn Féin party do good work in my area locally so they'll be getting the number 1. Their time has come! or day whatever! LOL

Because by voting for Fianna Fail, they played their part in driving us into the arms of the ECB/IMF moneylenders.

Thats ridiculous. That's like saying the people who voted for Robert Mugabe (who was once the darling of Africa) deserve all the economic suffering they are getting.

Never voted for them never would. I would have happily taken all the pay cuts, extra taxes and austerity measures FF loaded on us on the chin if just once, just once they praised or thanked the citizens of the country for making their contributions and knuckling down and doing their bit.
Instead they smugly and selfishly turned the people against each other with divide and conquer tactics then sat back while laughing at us. I for one hope FF never get into government again. I'll happily have SF or anyone rather than FF after what they did to us.

Never voted for them never would. I would have happily taken all the pay cuts, extra taxes and austerity measures FF loaded on us on the chin if just once, just once they praised or thanked the citizens of the country for making their contributions and knuckling down and doing their bit.
Instead they smugly and selfishly turned the people against each other with divide and conquer tactics then sat back while laughing at us. I for one hope FF never get into government again. I'll happily have SF or anyone rather than FF after what they did to us.

What did they do to you? Gave massive increases in social welfare. Gave huge increases to public sector workers. Cut taxes. Had pretty much zero unemployment.

It was all a mirage and built on sand but I don't remember too many people crying back in 2005/2006 about what a disgrace FF were (i don't remember any opposition policies that would have saved us from this mess).

FF TD's haven't murdered anyone. Bank robbing and extortion... well, there's a few parallels there I'll admit.
thats right..they didnt dirty their hands with murder, but they were quite happy to supply the guns at one time! history is a wonderfull thing.

thats right..they didnt dirty their hands with murder, but they were quite happy to supply the guns at one time! history is a wonderfull thing.

History is a wonderful thing but the facts don't agree with that you have just said. Not a balanced look at them anyway.

SF are worse than anything FF ever were. They are local bullies and thugs and they are anti-democratic to their core. It wasn't that long ago that they didn't recognise this state and even more recently they saw nothing wrong with murdering Gardai.

Agreed. Also they are a party that sees nothing wrong with abstaining from the UK parliament yet collecting all the money that goes with it.

Thats ridiculous. That's like saying the people who voted for Robert Mugabe (who was once the darling of Africa) deserve all the economic suffering they are getting.

There is no comparison. FF haven't quite managed to lower themselves to Mugabe's level of extortion and violence. We are a democracy (well, we were, until FF handed over the keys to ECB/IMF).

There is no comparison. FF haven't quite managed to lower themselves to Mugabe's level of extortion and violence. We are a democracy (well, we were, until FF handed over the keys to ECB/IMF).

Fine, it's like saying people in the US should be ashamed for electing George Bush. People vote for politicians that they think will improve things. If those politicians turn out to be complete idiots, people might regret how they voted but I still can't see why they should be ashamed. I voted for Trevor seargent. Mistake but I am not ashamed.

No, we were 'till they handed it over to the social partners.

I think we should order more duplicate keys from the locksmith as I think the Bankers and Developers have also managed to lay their grubby mitts on another set when the Government's eyes were averted .

What did they do to you? Gave massive increases in social welfare. Gave huge increases to public sector workers. Cut taxes. Had pretty much zero unemployment.
Think about this for a minute.
What money did they use to pay for all of this? We'll be paying for this 'economic miracle' for years to come. All this stuff didn't appear out of thin air and it's now we're paying for it.
Everyone, well most people get to pay whether they drank the champagne or not.

Think about this for a minute.
What money did they use to pay for all of this? We'll be paying for this 'economic miracle' for years to come. All this stuff didn't appear out of thin air and it's now we're paying for it.
Everyone, well most people get to pay whether they drank the champagne or not.

Maybe if you didn't selectively quote from my post, you can see I said it was a mirage and was built on sand. I wasn't applauding them. Simply pointing out that they gave many of the things that people demanded. Can someone show me the opposition spokesman who came out against rises in social welfare at rates well above inflation?

. Can someone show me the opposition spokesman who came out against rises in social welfare at rates well above inflation?

I doubt anybody would complain about looking after the poorest in society but Im sure you could find lots that were asking for tax evasion schemes for the rich to be closed off and people who were profiting massively during the boom years to be taxed more to pay for those increases in Welfare.

Back