Key Post SCAM: Cold caller from India pretends to be from Windows offers to fix your computer.

That like trying to answer how long a piece of string is. Theres millions of variations on whats on people machines. The only thing is to have a good firewall, a good antivirus, a good anti spyware (especially for this incident) but most off all a good scecurity process. And run it regularly.

Don't open stuff you don't know. Don't accept cold callers. Only let people you trust near your computer. Clear or secure all personal data when you don't need it. Clearing browsers after using them, clearing history and cache. CCleaner does this for you, but its also how your browser is configured. Don't let the browser save your bank logins etc.

Have a ggod password policy, don't have them all the same, and don't make them simple to crack. Don't use the same pin everywhere.

I would imagine the Event Viewer site is proably doing 1 of 2 things and from what i've heard about them from people i now who have gotten these calls and reports read online #1 is the most likely IMHO.

1: Something along the lines of a WebEx, where you enter a session id and the person at the other end can see your desktop remotely and can take control of it (with your permission, granted via a button) This event viewer may not require user permission to take control. They may use this and just go deleting random temp files to make it look like they are going something and then charge you say €100 via credit card.

2: The website installed some malware/virus which could compromise the machine.

Either way just be on the safe side, get her to run an AV scan (with fully updated definitions) and also get a malware scanner and run that too

Act really really stupid. Tell them it's your son's computer and you don't know much about it. How do I turn it on? Spend ages and then figure out "I think that this is a television and not a computer?"

It would make great radio recording a call?
Old post,but I have been getting so many of these calls lately.
So I decided to pull their legs..
He said,do you have problem with windows,
I said,yes I do.
He told me to turn on laptop,and I said I couldnt see out my window.I went on and on till I was fed up,I kept saying which button,where,I cant see it,My windows are open,I have to close the window..which window etc
He hung up...;)

They must have rung everybody in the country. I have a Mac, and they hang up instantly when I ask why they and not Mac are getting in touch with me. It would probably work for Windows, if you ask why it is they and not Microsoft are on the job. Giving up the landline is a bit extreme :))

Happy coincidence rarely use it anyway.

I told them I didn't have a phone line and didn't have the internet. They still rang back. Once your on the list, they'll keep ringing. They aren't very bright.

This crowd seem to be using a database. Unfortunately they keep ringing the same number over and over. They don't stop even when they've been told to get lost. They seem to be doing it just because they are bored in some instance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056122013

So far they are only ringing landlines. Eircom and the regulator seem to have no interest. So I reckon the only way to end this now is to cancel the line. These days you hardly need a landline with deals on mobiles and skype etc. Theres some suggestion they are getting numbers from Dell or just numbers in the phone book. hard to know.

I got another call on a UPC phone line, from a different crowd who use a computer to generate new numbers from numbers they know are valid. This is a line I don't use, have never given out the number, it not listed anywhere AFAIK. BTW I intend cancelling it I as hardly ever use the landline or the VOIP phone anymore.

As far as I know it's a computer dialing the numbers and connecting to an operator when answered .

It also doesn't know which numbers its already rung so its a huge waste of manpower, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

Got a text to my O2 modem today,
"Upgrade your O2 to make unlimited free calls to any network click on this link o2unlimited.es.vu or copy and paste on your browser"

Wonder is it a scam ? seems to from a foreign country. I didn't do what it asked .

Forty five minutes is my best time so far. I only managed to keep them on the line for twenty the first time. At no time during this exercise do you need to be in the same room as your computer although a few keybord sounding noises can be good for effect.
The scenario goes something like this .
Phone rings " This is your Computer/ windows/Microsoft agent and we are calling about a problem with your computer"
Put phone on speaker and leave on window cill in kitchen
Agree with Mr Rob Yue in India that you are indeed having serious trouble with computer and that it is operating really S L O W . Tell him you are turning it on.
Put on the kettle.
Remind him that it is very slow to boot up.
Make a nice cup of coffee.
Tell him that you have a blue screen.
Get out the packet of biscuits.
Tell him you are very worried about pc and hope that he can fix it.
Sit in your most comefortable chair.
Tell him the screen is frozen.
Pick up the morning paper and have a read of the headlines.
Try another reboot as he will suggest.
Read your favourite articles in the paper. Personally I read the sport first.
Bingo tell him the computer is on.
He now will tell you to select " Start" and "Run" . DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO SO.
Tell him you have done that and he will tell you to type in a code.
Tell him you are typing in the code but the pc has frozen again.
It is now time to play your ace card and tell him that you would be willing to pay for a repair.
Go for a complete reboot again as he will suggest upon hearing of payment.
Read the main part of paper.
Get back that frozen/blue screen you suffered from last time round.
Do the crossword .
By now you may be getting bored so ask him where he got your phone number as you dont have a phone !!!. And finally you remember that in fact you dont even have a computer.
You can follow up with a loud whistle into the phone . There really is great fun to be had here.
w200

Back