Key Post SCAM: Cold caller from India pretends to be from Windows offers to fix your computer.

Just got called this afternoon by these guys

I've had two calls from this 'company', once about a month ago, and again today. Our phone and broadband are with eircom, the account is in my husband's name, and I was asked was I "Mrs Ceepee". Had heard about it on Joe Duffy about six weeks ago, and my unfortunate mother-in-law got caught on a 45-minute long conversation with them around that time. I asked them how they could possibly know anything about my computer when I'm not a customer of theirs. They make it sound so urgent! Of note: both callers I spoke to had pronounced sub-continent accents, but had very Scottish-sounding names - 'Ian Wilson' and 'Alex Stewart'!

Ive now received about 15 phone calls from these people.
The last 3 times I said I dont have a computer but they still rang twice today. The first was at 8am when I unloaded down the phone. The 2nd time my wife answered and when she gave him an earful he became obnoxious and repeated several times "what are you going to do about it?".

We rang Eircom to have their number blocked, but in typical Eircom fashion, they were useless and refused to assist.

Does anyone have a way of preventing them ringing again???!!!!

I advise against trying to argue with them or giving them an earful. I did this and they made my life a nightmare for a while. Kept ringing back at all hours and were extremely rude. Really horrible. It eventually stopped but started again a couple of weeks ago. This time I took advice I got on this forum and told them that I have an Apple and not a word from them since so that's my advice.

A radio kerry listener managed to record one of these scammers during the week. Radio Kerry played the recording and by all accounts it is both informative and hillarious!

If I can get a link to the radio kerry recording lll post it here.

Two friends of mine in south county dublin were duped by these guys last week. The number was spoofed to look like it was coming from Limerick. They were rumbled when the caller was unable to relate what part of Limerick they were calling from.

This is going on for a long time now..there must be some way of putting a stop to it. Where..... are all the techie guys when the consumer really needs em:(

Years ago there was a spate of so-called 'heavy breathers' making nusiance phone calls.

The advice then (and I'm sure still holds true today) was to place the receiver along side the phone and leave them talking away to themselves. Another suggestion was to get a whistle and blow it nice and loud down the phone.

Above all, don't get into a discussion.

Albacore

Do you mean change your number?

I have gone ex-directory, although I don't know if that is going to help as I assume my number is on their database.

This crowd seem to be using a database. Unfortunately they keep ringing the same number over and over. They don't stop even when they've been told to get lost. They seem to be doing it just because they are bored in some instance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056122013

So far they are only ringing landlines. Eircom and the regulator seem to have no interest. So I reckon the only way to end this now is to cancel the line. These days you hardly need a landline with deals on mobiles and skype etc. Theres some suggestion they are getting numbers from Dell or just numbers in the phone book. hard to know.

I got another call on a UPC phone line, from a different crowd who use a computer to generate new numbers from numbers they know are valid. This is a line I don't use, have never given out the number, it not listed anywhere AFAIK. BTW I intend cancelling it I as hardly ever use the landline or the VOIP phone anymore.

My sister, sister in law and I all got these calls in November, and we all copped they were some sort of scam. My sis did the 'no PC' bit, I did the we use Ubuntu bit and sis-in-law pushed for more details, resulting in 8-10 abusive calls which stopped after she blew a ref whistle down the phone.

Well today my little friend was back onto me, calling from 'Windows'... I told him we don't use windows and he pushed back that I must, so I said we used Ubuntu, which seemed to confuse him! Got rid of him after 5 min.

In all 3 cases we are all ex-directory, but got asked for by name! I'm not sure where they got my name and number, we aren't on Eircom so not there.... None of us gives out our landlines, only mobiles, so it can't be from a casual marketing database, only our banks have our landlines.

I had the same experience and they knew my name.
I was immediately suspicious, and a few minutes into the call, knew that it was a scam and I used the old " The kids are crying, must go" line and hung up. They haven't rung back.

Why not just say Im listening and put the phone beside the tele and leave it there for as long as it takes every time. They will soon get the message when they start racking up some hefty bills.

Not everyone cops that its a scam. They are very plausible, practiced and persistant. They appear to be working from a prepared script and have operated similar scams in Australia over the last few years.

Thet appear to have access to an landline database as they know the name of the people they are calling.

The can disguise the phone number they are ringing from to make it appear they are calling from within Ireland. They use western (often slightly scottish sounding names eg Ian McKenzie). Some of the callers have been female.

Recently they have been using a Limerick number (I would be tempted to enquire as to whether they had a horse outside!).

YouTube - MrPcclean's Channel

Niall Mulrine, Navenny, Ballybofey, Co. Donegal, recorded these scammers and posted on youtube.

Brought to you by Niall Mulrine, www.pcclean.ie

There have been numerous people in the locality subjected to bogus phone calls relating to fake viruses on their computer systems. The caller has an Indian accent in most cases, may tell you they are working in your country and have a victious name to blend in with the national customer eg. Joe Kelly or Jack Jackson are names that have been used. This has been occurring Worldwide now for quite some time, as far back as 2008 and an investigation in England by UK National Newspaper "The Guardian" has been conducted and cannot pin point the culprits but can say that one man, based in the city of Kota in Rajasthan, is behind the centres running the scams.

How does this happen?

It is believed that the caller gathers information from the phone book such as your name, address and contact phone number. The caller begins with requesting to speak to the person whose name is the printed name on the phone book and informs them that they are calling from a legit software company like Microsoft, Online PC Doctor and some ISP names that are the leaders in the country. They are contacting you, to inform you that they believe your computer to be at great risk due to some of the internet activity on your PC.

The user at stage does feel that it is a proper call, as they have a lot of information about them (which is freely found in the phonebook!!) and ask them to go to their Pc and run a few simple tasks on the computer. The tasks asked to perform are not the everyday routine for most computer users. One example of the task is, to run Task Manager to find if there are any processes running on the computer. The Task Manager has a list of all processes that are running on the computer that are informing the user what is working in the background and in the main windows. To someone who has not seen this before, it can look daunting. Therefore, seeing at least 10 processes running on the computer, gives the caller leverage to say that these are bad and will damage your computer. In reality, there is no issue with the PC. The caller will use scare mongering to launch you into a state of pure fear and anxiety about how safe your computer is. Now comes the hook.

The caller will inform you that it can be repaired to prevent further damage. An unsuspecting resident in Dublin got this call and was first offered to clean up the virus for a subscription fee of €129, but then began to push a two-year deal costing €249. This would give the pc owner a full year of remote support from a fully Microsoft certified technician. What happens next? The caller asks the owner to open a website that they will need to remotely log in to repair the pc, and enter a 6 digit code that they will dispense the owner with. Once this is carried out, the owner will see the caller moving the cursor on screen and opening different folders. They will download a rogue antivirus program. The program installs itself on your computer and purports to be a Microsoft anti-spyware program. It self-launches and appears to start running scans, coming up with various infected files. These are all fake results. Urgency sets in for the poor unsuspecting pc owner. The magic happens now. "Can you provide your credit card details for us to fully repair your machine. After this, they may ask you to hang up and they will call you when they are finished. Oops, now the pc is fully in the hands of this caller, as the pc owner thinks there is no point in hanging about watching this, as they don't understand it and leave it to the experts!!!

So what should be we do when this call comes to us? Ask them some basic questions;

* Do they know your name and address? Ask: "Who was it you wanted to speak to?"

* If so, are you in the phone book under that name and address?

* Are they using a particular name that's only on your credit card?

* Have you recently contacted your broadband provider or telephone provider?

* And if so, which company was it?

* Is there any other computer based transaction, repair, purchase or enquiry you made online or in store recently, and can you remember where it was?

Alarm bells should always ring when a stranger asks us for credit card details, whether they phoned us or stopped us in the street. Ask them for their full name, company name, email address and phone number and you will get back to them. Bring this information to the attention of your local Gardai or type their website into Whois.com to find out more details.

As Microsoft's name has been used in some of the calls, they have got involved in the highlighting of this scam. They have linked up with National Consumer Agency of Ireland Microsoft's to give people help and assistance with this.

Brought to you by Niall Mulrine, Navenny, Ballybofey, Co. Donegal, Ireland www.pcclean.ie

Help!!!

Hi All,

I need some help urgently!!!! My sister just got a call from someone saying they are from HP and that she has viruses on her computer. She wouldn't be too technically minded so presumed they were legit, it was only because I rang her mobile in the middle of it that we copped it could be a scam.

He told her to go to a website called "Event Viewer" and join a session. Can anyone tell me what to advise her? She hung up straight away and they rang back 3 times until she plugged the phone out of the wall! She's turned off the computer now but we're worried they have her bank account details...etc.

PLEASE HELP!!

Are her bank details on the computer. Does the computer automatically log on to online bank A/C?

You can ring the bank and put a temporary lock on the accounts, if you are worried about it. The bank could inform you best about that.

Thanks for replying AlbacoreA!

She called the bank to put a stop to her Online accounts for a few days.

Does anyone know if they would have installed some Spyware or anything on her laptop? If so, is there an easy way to check for any new programs installed??

Back