Saving water

well basically. I have a hipped roof on a detached dormer bunglow. I used oil storage tanks. I bought them cheap on line to harvest the water. I am storing with tanks joined together approx 7500 liters each rain cycle. I fitted a sump internally, however designed the inlet of water in a way the water does not become stagnant. I have the tanks hidden in a timber out building. (for a cosmetic finish)

I have 1 outlet from the hipped roof gutters. the rain passes through a diverter into the tanks via that outlet. the sump then passes the water via a filtered system I made (also in the timber out building). then feeds the toilits & garden tap and washing machine directly via pipework at approx 2.5 bar pressure.

If it was a new build I would have buried the tanks and left an inspection lid for maintainance. BUT WORKS PERFECT AND IM HAPPY WITH the COSMETIC FINISH. I have a meter on it and at present I am getting a cubic meter of water free every 3 days. (cubic meter = 1000 liters)

it took myself 2 days to install. that included re plumbing the wc and toilits. It was quite easy. But then again I have done a course on these systems and have an m&e back round. I done this as a project to show protetial clients in the future. However I recon a similar system I would be charging approx 6000 euro. water rates with an approx price of €2.40 per cubic meter and my usage at present. The payback time is in excess of 15 years. The system would also need an annual service.

It really depends on the cost of the water in the future. The eu directive is clear, the cost of supplying and treating water to the domestic market must cover the 1 billion cost. So the €2.40 figure. I am using as a price per cubic meter is probably not realistic. (This is approx cost in Great Britain.) Maybe we will be paying anything in excess of 8 euro per cubic meter in the near future. I think we will.

there is many ways to design these systems. however regardless of the type of system. If the system is not a gravity designed one. The rainwater storage I would prefer buried under ground.

q - I have always thought there should be an way to control the time limit without resorting to tripping the fuse switch..
I assume this method is not possible on an electric shower as opposed to a shower pump.

It's possible on both types of shower.
I have a shower pump - in the hot press
and a Triton t90 - timer is beside the fuseboard

I had to put timers on both of them.

A Triton T90 is a 9kw water heater. That costs a lot per hour to run.
You will see an immediate result on your next electricity bill if you put a timer in.

Example: 1 Triton T90 used 4 hours per week adds up to easily €54 per electricity bill.

Source below.

q - I have always thought there should be an way to control the time limit without resorting to tripping the fuse switch..
I assume this method is not possible on an electric shower as opposed to a shower pump.

It's possible on both types of shower.
I have a shower pump - in the hot press
and a Triton t90 - timer is beside the fuseboard

I had to put timers on both of them.

A Triton T90 is a 9kw water heater. That costs a lot per hour to run.
You will see an immediate result on your next electricity bill if you put a timer in.

Example: 1 Triton T90 used 4 hours per week adds up to easily €54 per electricity bill.

Source below.

you can also cut costs by. selecting a shower head with a low flow rate . Insulate the tank feeding the shower (electric) top and bottom , not under it. use a heat recovery on the shower waste. However the timers would be cost effective

It is amazing to look at energy usage generally on

The electric shower will frighten you into action versus costs to run a pumped shower off your tank.

Installed my 210 litre water butt at the weekend off one downpipe from my garage, it is already full, looking forward to continued ' free ' car washes post metering. Whatever that cost eventually looks like bearing in mind those local election results who knows, do away with it or a nominal €100 a year I say ..

Back