Saving water

car

Anyone got tips on being efficient with water what with the new water charges coming in. I didnt think this would go in the water charges sub-forum but I'll leave up to mods.

Main areas are drinking water/baths/showers/dishwashers/washing machines/central heating/gardening/washing cars or bikes etc.

I've read about rainwater buttes but is that only for like gardening and washing cars?

Harvested rainwater can be used to supply toilets and outside taps. Might not be feasible to retrofit something like this in an existing house, but it should, in my opinion, be included in any new houses. Think it may already be a condition for some local authorities when applying for planning permission.

A simple way to save the amount of water used in toilets is to fill a used milk carton (remove labels etc) with sand/gravel/water etc, tighten the lid and pop it into the cistern of your toilet. This reduces the amount of water required to fill the cistern and also reduces the amount of water flushed away each time. We use them in our toilets and the toilets work perfectly well.

When boiling water for tea/coffee etc try to only boil the amount needed and not just fill the kettle everytime. Chances are if you fill the kettle you'll end up pouring a load of it away the next time you go to make a cuppa. This will save water and also electricity as you'll be boiling less water.

Try having a 'Navy Shower'.

It's not as rude as it sounds. It is the method of showering used on navy vessels where fresh water is usually in short supply. Apparently most people when having a shower leave the water running the entire time. A Navy Shower is done as follows. Turn on the shower, get under the water and soak your whole body and hair for about a minute. Then turn off the water, apply soap or shower gel, wash your entire body and hair. Turn the water back on for a minute or two to rinse off. That way the water is only running for 2-3 minutes rather than for the full amount of time that you are in the shower. I have always showered this way and only last year found out that other people didn't.

The same applies to brushing your teeth. The tap does not need to be running the entire time you are brushing your teeth. You just need a bit of water at the start and a rinse at the end.

Anyone got tips on being efficient with water what with the new water charges coming in.

As far as I'm concerned the only way to get my daughter or son to conserve the time spent in the shower (water running) would be to make them pay the bill (which won't happen :mad:).

I timed myself the other day and even with washing the hair twice and conditioning, it only took 5 mins for my full shower. Daughter takes between 15 to 25 mins :eek: and no amount of arguing will change this other than turning it off at mains. Son is not much better even though he has his hair cut tight.

Think you mentioned about so you haven't a hope in hell :D

Try having a 'Navy Shower'.

It's not as rude as it sounds. It is the method of showering used on navy vessels where fresh water is usually in short supply. Apparently most people when having a shower leave the water running the entire time. A Navy Shower is done as follows. Turn on the shower, get under the water and soak your whole body and hair for about a minute. Then turn off the water, apply soap or shower gel, wash your entire body and hair. Turn the water back on for a minute or two to rinse off. That way the water is only running for 2-3 minutes rather than for the full amount of time that you are in the shower. I have always showered this way and only last year found out that other people didn't.

The same applies to brushing your teeth. The tap does not need to be running the entire time you are brushing your teeth. You just need a bit of water at the start and a rinse at the end.

Agree with it not being necessary to have the tap running all the time for washing teeth. The only problem with the electric showers is that when they are turned off and back on a strong blast of cold water shoots out.

Quote:it only took 5 mins for my full shower. Daughter takes between 15 to 25 mins :eek:

It reached crises point in our house. Had to fit a push buttom timer on the shower pump. Teenage daughter saw the 240 litres of hot water as a challenge to empty.
Now you have 5 minutes and thats it.

Baffles me what anyone does in a shower for anything longer than 5 minutes.

The water and electricity fights will continue..

Loads of hints and tips around the web for saving ...

I am getting a 5 minutes wind up egg timer for each shower. Might help.
I also make 4 hot water bottles per night on the cold nights... that is 4 litres/night... I'm going to keep an old kettle in the utility room just for re-using that 4 litres.

Will be collecting rainwater for garden use.

My biggest concern is the annual clean of the patio/driveway with the powerwasher! although I think the power washer doesn't use more water than a normal hose... it just concentrates it in one spot under pressure.

I also plan to have a water butt collecting water from my garage pipes, and I can stick the power hose into there to get a decent amount.

I take a 'Navy Shower' at home but when I go to the gym or stay in a hotel, I take a nice long shower. As to what I get up to in there, the answer is, nothing. I just stand there relaxing under the piping hot water for as long as I can.

I also make 4 hot water bottles per night on the cold nights... that is 4 litres/night... I'm going to keep an old kettle in the utility room just for re-using that 4 litres.

We have been doing this for some time now. It works a treat. Although you will need another container to store the surplus water in between boils.

We also have purchased larger containers to collect water from bathroom sinks and bath. The intention to fill the toilet cistern after flushes.

We also have purchased larger containers to collect water from bathroom sinks and bath. The intention to fill the toilet cistern after flushes.
Just be careful not to leave them stand full too long. Old bath water can get very smelly.

Quote:it only took 5 mins for my full shower. Daughter takes between 15 to 25 mins :eek:

It reached crises point in our house. Had to fit a push buttom timer on the shower pump. Teenage daughter saw the 240 litres of hot water as a challenge to empty.
Now you have 5 minutes and thats it.

Very Funny, and very true. I have always thought there should be an way to control the time limit without resorting to tripping the fuse switch.. I assume this method is not possible on an electric shower as opposed to a shower pump. It would save a lot of shouting about shampoo still in hair.

Has any one any guesstimate how much money they'll save by doing any of the above.

If your property doesn't have a meter fitted by the time this comes online, conservation will make no difference.

Until the pricing structure has been published, it's just guesswork. You'll have to wait until 'in or about August' for clarity on that, there's even the prospect of charges varying across different local authorities.

They have stated they expect, on average, families will pay €250-300 per annum. I'm guessing, like other utilities, some portion of that will be a standing charge. Gas standing charge is €91.76 per annum, electricity (including PSO) is ~€190 per annum. If it's closer to the former, then that average family could save up to €150-200 if they manage to keep their water consumption down to whatever the initial free allowance is. But until we know what that is, we can't say.

Leo,

Would you believe I was looking at the two utilities standing charge this morning so that I would have an idea as to the range that the Irish Water one could be pegged at.

Would you explain your method of calculation as I worked out €162.84 pa for ESB (including PSO levy) and €80 for Bord Gais (excluding carbon tax).
I only used 30 days per month.

Many thanks.

Seeing as they're being set up under Bord Gais, assuming they'll use a similar model seemed the most likely way to go.

I'm guessing you're looking at the ex-VAT prices. I took the standard tariffs from the Bord Gais and Electric Ireland sites and added VAT. standing charge is €123.01 ex VAT, €139.61 inc VAT pa, plus €42.84/€48.62 PSO. [broken link removed] is €80.85/€91.76.

you can harvest approx 1000 liters of rain water per 1m2 of pitched roof area in the Dublin area. I am at present harvesting rain water for toilits and washing machine and garden usage. It cost myself 1200 euro to install. Im monitoring its progress and recon I am using approx 350 liters per day rain water. Thats approx one cubic meter every 3 days. A savings in the long run of approx €2.40 every 3 day in the long term about 300 euro a year. However if my usage increased I can add additional tank to the system . But your roof size must be able to meet demand.

Can you tell us what type of system this is and how easy or difficult to install ?

Back