Satnav Tom Tom/Garmin??

Great.

Another question - the big 5 inch screen of TOm Tom sounds great but would it hinder visibility? A great hulk of a thing on the dashboard sounds like a bit of an obstruction. Is it better to go for a smaller screen???

I have written a letter of complaint to Garmin and the product support is not interested.
I purchased my Garmin in February and down loaded the latest maps. Driving around Ireland it does not recognise the new motorways Cork to Dublin and constant tried to re direct me. I went into some of retail stores recently and the new roads are still not in the new Garmins on display. Garmin now want €80 to update the maps for a unit that is not yet out of it’s warranty period. They cannot guarantee that the new roads are on the update either.

I have written a letter of complaint to Garmin and the product support is not interested.
I purchased my Garmin in February and down loaded the latest maps. Driving around Ireland it does not recognise the new motorways Cork to Dublin and constant tried to re direct me. I went into some of retail stores recently and the new roads are still not in the new Garmins on display. Garmin now want €80 to update the maps for a unit that is not yet out of it’s warranty period. They cannot guarantee that the new roads are on the update either.

Isn't that one of the problems with Satnavs in Ireland, there are so many changes to the national roads with bypasses and motorways being added that maps aren't getting a chance to catch up.

I really dont see the point of a Satnav in Ireland except maybe for city driving.

€80 is an extortionate amount to charge for an update (half of the original price). + they have a poor product support. You can look these up on Epinion www.epinions.com/GPS_Devices--garmin
The original update took 10 hrs on my PC (broadband) None of the retailers could supply a hardware update.
How much would it cost to update a Tom Tom map?

I read an article in one of the car magazines comparing both Tom Tom and Garmin. They are pretty close, with each one having small benefits over the other in different areas. What swung me was a client of mine who lives in the UK travels to Ireland regularly and he used both and said the Tom Tom was better. However, you need to compare Apples to Apples, as an entry level Tom Tom is inferior to a top end Garmin and vice-versa. I would definitely stay away from any of the other generic brands. Stick with either Tom Tom or Garmin and I would recommend getting a larger screen if available. My Tom Tom got me through France on a 3 week tour and paid for itself just on that trip. Yo also need to make sure you keep the software updated and get European Maps up front if you plan on using in the Continent. I found Tom Tom customer service very responsive in dealing with one small software glitch I had within the warranty period. Good Luck !

I wouldn't bother with the big screens...the original smaller screens are more than sufficient. You get used to voice commands after a short time and a quick glance at the screen every now & again will suffice. I have even got a "Silent Voice" downloaded on my TT as I just want to hear the speed cam alerts and no voice commands

Back