Satnav Tom Tom/Garmin??

babydays

Very interested in getting a Satnav from a generous santa!
Would be using it mainly in Ireland but occassionally in NL, France an UK.

Which is the most user friendly, best package?
I've heard that Garmin is recommended for Ireland? Like the look of the TOm TOm XXL 5 inch screen.....

any recommendations?

ive got a garmin,and am happy with it.its not always 100% correct,but id be lost without it.used it in australia recently,and only wrong once.whichever one you get ,its mainly being faimilar with the menues makes it easy to use.

Garmin use Navteq maps which have the best coverage in Ireland.

Take a look at their site and use the comparrison tool to select which model suits you best based on the fatures you want.
Leo

ToM TOm is generally more expensive and seen as more up market. Garmin is a sat nav with out the extra bells and whistles.

Garmin use Navteq maps which have the best coverage in Ireland...
+1. Very reliable across UK & The Mainland as well, IME. The only funny I had was being sent to a Fiat Service Station in Switzerland instead of the hotel I wanted. :eek: and no I wasn't driving a Fiat.

I can't comment on the differences, because I never used a TomTom. I have used my Garmin in Ireland and France.

While it can be useful, I learned not to rely on it too much, particularly in planning routes. It is generally very useful in towns.

Any gps using Navteq maps will be good. The map coverage for Ireland is better.

I got an Aldi one a while back and it's great, and has Navteq maps of all of Europe on it. For the number of times we rely on it, it's perfect.

I'm a Garmin man myself, friend got a Tom Tom a few weeks ago, not very user friendly in comparrison

ToM TOm is generally more expensive and seen as more up market. Garmin is a sat nav with out the extra bells and whistles.

Where are you getting this from??? What bells and whistles do the Tom Tom's have that Garmin don't?

I'm a Garmin man myself, friend got a Tom Tom a few weeks ago, not very user friendly in comparrison
I disagree. I think TomTom is a lot more user friendly than the Garmins I have seen

Plus you can use the TYRE software for the TomTom using google earth to plot your personalised POI's

thanks a lot for the replies.

I tried out a Garmin in Halfords - but there seemed to be something wrong with the trial one - it couldn't find the addresses I inputed. The salesperson couldnt' work out why it wasn't responding.

I trying to find out is there somewhere I could rent one (other than renting a car from a car rental that has them!) just to see whether I like them or not!

Sounds like more people are in favour of the garmin....

tks for the input.

I personally prefer TomTom. There is a perception that their Map coverage for Ireland is inferior to Garmin's. I never found any evidence of this, having used both.

you really need to be outdoors when using a satnav as it has to pick up the satellites to locate where you are and it can map where you want to go.

The maps on TomTom are exactly what you see on Google Earth...so you cant say their maps are not up to par with Garmin

HEY,

I do live in NL...We have a TOm TOm...used in France, Germany, Switserland, Denmark and is excellent. i have used Garmin in Ireland and is very bad instead of a TomTom....Its very up to dated. The garmin isnt i felt.

Tomtom is user frindly as well...As i found

Back