Same sex couples and their human rights

Imagine the scenario (all hypotetical, I am happily married most days): my husband walks out on me and our baby son and has no interest in having access or contact. Five years down the line, I end up in a stable, loving lesbian partnership and my new lesbian partner is my son's best friend, enormous support and generally a fantastic replacement for a lousy father who walked away. Another five years on, I die and my loving, caring lesbian partner has to hand over my son to either un-interested father or the state? How is this fair and in better interest of my son than him being adopted and cared for by my lesbian partner?

The situation would be no different if your second relationship was a heterosexual one. So, why should a lesbian partner have more rights than a heterosexual partner?

The situation would be no different if your second relationship was a heterosexual one. So, why should a lesbian partner have more rights than a heterosexual partner?

They shouldn't, they should have the same rights.

But you still haven't answered the question as to why the lesbian couple are any different to any heterosexual couple who physically can't have kids.
This thread has gone around in circles so am giving up.

Well I will answer it now, as I thought I had made my opinions clear in my replies before, I believe that a child should have a mother and a father, not 2 mums or 2 dads. Thats my belief. End of. Answered now?

They accept that they physically can't? That is my opinion, whether most think I'm homophobic or not.

This harks back to the 'I want' attitude that most of the population is developing. People all seem to think they are entitled to anything they want.

Well I will answer it now, as I thought I had made my opinions clear in my replies before, I believe that a child should have a mother and a father, not 2 mums or 2 dads. Thats my belief. End of. Answered now?

That's fine. You don't agree with gay people being parents. You should just say that instead of saying only people who can physically have children should be parents. Everyone can have children in this day and age through one form or another.

Where does that leave single parents where the other parent has gone off and not interested in the child?
Should they not be allowed to keep their kids?

It's not 2 dads, but surely this proves that not only can same sex parentage work, but that we all learn important moral lessons about ourselves in the process.

They are I didn't exclude anyone in my post you might notice. If I want to start a family it is because I want one, therefore the action is to benefit me initially.

Well if people are selfish for wanting kids well thank god for selfish people otherise the human race would be long since over.

If second relationship is a heterosexual marriage, step-parent can adopt a child at any time which is not the case with homosexual relationship.

You can argue all you like that this has nothing to to with Catholic teachings BUT in this country, in 21st century an un-married father still has less rights than the married one, even though a marriage cert is by no means a qualification to parent.

If second relationship is a heterosexual marriage, step-parent can adopt a child at any time which is not the case with homosexual relationship.

Wrong - the step-parent has no automatic rights to adopt the child. Legally speaking, they are strangers to the child etc. By Law, the childs father automatically becomes the sole guardian when the mother dies. If he is not on the scene or not able, then the child becomes a Ward of Court.

I used to be a dinosaur too, but I am no longer one. I was extremely biased, homophoebic, a complete bigot towards gay people . Thats a side of me that I totally totally, regret. In all walks of life there are brilliant parents, okish ones and then there are absolutely apalling ones. This would apply to all people irrespect of their sexuality.

The law being brought in simply is to acknowledge that we in law have equal rights irrespect of our sexuality. Plain and simple. I heard an interview with Colm O'Gorman some time ago, it was a facinating listen. He and his partner have one or two children whose mother was a dear friend of Colm, who unfortunately died of cancer. It was a real eye opener, very frank and facinating interview. At the end of the interview I was of the opinion that the children involved were extremely lucky to have a loving family to care for them especially having lost their mother.

I have 2 simple rules in life now:

1. Do not do to others what you would not like to be done to you.
2. Too much of anything, I mean anything is not good for you.

Just my tuppence worth.

Secman

Emily Logan (Children's Ombudsman) reckons that the new legislation doesn't take children's rights into account

[broken link removed]

Wrong - the step-parent has no automatic rights to adopt the child. Legally speaking, they are strangers to the child etc. By Law, the childs father automatically becomes the sole guardian when the mother dies. If he is not on the scene or not able, then the child becomes a Ward of Court.

But the opportunity exists for the step-father to adopt when in a relationship with the mother. That option isn't there for the gay partner.

Well if people are selfish for wanting kids well thank god for selfish people otherise the human race would be long since over.

I'm not for a minute stating that selfishness is bad. I am selfish and have been most of my life. I have a woman that I love and I try to be as good to her as possible, but partly because I love how I feel being with her. I bought the car I want and the house I wanted even though had she said no I wouldn't have bought either. We all do things that we want because that is natural. We both want children for many reasons and alot of them are selfish ie. watching your offspring grow and achieve, sharing new memories etc.
To suggest that adopting a child or conceiving a child is first and foremost for the good of the child is incorrect imo.

I used to a dinosaur too, but I am no longer one. I was extremely biased, homophoebic, a complete bigot towards gay people . Thats a side of me that I totally totally, regret. In all walks of life there are brilliant parents, okish ones and then there are absolutely apalling ones. This would apply to all people irrespect of their sexuality.

The law being brought in simply is to acknowledge that we in law have equal rights irrespect of our sexuality. Plain and simple. I heard an interview with Colm O'Gorman some time ago, it was a facinating listen. He and his partner have one or two children whose mother was a dear friend of Colm, who unfortunately died of cancer. It was a real eye opener, very frank and facinating interview. At the end of the interview I was of the opinion that the children involved were extremely lucky to have a loving family to care for them especially having lost their mother.

I have 2 simple rules in life now:

1. Do not do to others what you would not like to be done to you.
2. Too much of anything, I mean anything is not good for you.

Just my tuppence worth.

Secman

:)

You only talked about adoption. So if myself and wife decide to start a family, we are doing it for selfish reasons and our own satisfaction? So for someone who based their arguments on nature and natural procreation, you think that nature gave us tools to procreate but didn't give us the natural desire to procreate. That's just down to human selfishness?

Anyway, I will agree to disagree! It has run its course

You got me! I did mean everyone though. The natural desire is there alright but again if you decide that you want to raise a family, it is a want you have and a choice you make to give you what you want. Selfishness in the strictest terms and as Foxylady says luckily we all have the capability to be selfish.

But the opportunity exists for the step-father to adopt when in a relationship with the mother. That option isn't there for the gay partner.

Step-fathers do not have the "option" of adopting their wife's children. The natural father retains parental rights unless he gives them up. A step-father cannot adopt at the expense of a natural father. Where step-fathers adopt, it is by agreement with the father and the process is the same as any adoption whereby parent(s) voluntarily give up their child to adoption to a third party who is known to them.

Personally, I think a lot of the adoption stuff is a red herring. There are other legal ways in which step parents and gay partners can be given responsibility for their partners children - the principal of in loco parentis applies to them in certain circumstances. People keep on trotting out the example of an emergency where the parent must sign hospital consent forms. Well, if your kid is in a foreign country on a school tour, you will not be there to sign consent forms - in such cases, the teachers assume in loco parentis status and sign the forms.

Back