Ryanair

O'Learys ultimate aim is to abolish the necessity for man-power in the whole check-in process.
By pushing internet check-in, no seat allocation, no check-in baggage, no wheelchairs, no acceptance of late arrivals - all this is 'educating' the customer to expect nothing from him and indeed to get nothing from him.

Of course by eliminating all staff he can make even more money for himself and his boss Tony, and sure, the tickets might get even cheaper.
But as several posters above have realised through bitter experience - cheap is fine until something goes wrong. Then he has you by the short and curlies. Another chance to milk the customer is presented to him, and he just can't resist taking it.

The best solution?
Don't fly Ryanair.

And by the way - no other LoCo Carrier treats people half as badly as Ryanair. Which proves this exploitation is completely unnecessary in creating efficiencies.

Of course by eliminating all staff he can make even more money for himself and his boss Tony
And the Ryanair shareholders. This is his job!
But as several posters above have realised through bitter experience - cheap is fine until something goes wrong. Then he has you by the short and curlies.
So if somebody wants a full service with backup for when things go wrong then they should go elsewhere. Simple.
And by the way - no other LoCo Carrier treats people half as badly as Ryanair. Which proves this exploitation is completely unnecessary in creating efficiencies.
So why are they one of the largest and most successful airlines in the EU if some people are not happy with the price:service ratio?

Of course by eliminating all staff he can make even more money for himself and his boss Tony, and sure, the tickets might get even cheaper.
If you are referring to Tony Ryan, it's a long time since he was boss of Ryanair.

If there was no Ryanair then we wouldn't be flying to half the destinations we are now at such low prices. Its a bus service people. Either get on or off the bus.

no other LoCo Carrier treats people half as badly as Ryanair.
Do you really believe half of what you write Meccano ? Or do you just work for their competitor i.e. on the losing side ?

In fairness to Ryanair - and I do not work in the airline industry , and neither does my family - it can be pointed out that Ryanair has a very good record for safety, punctuality, value for money etc. It would not have enjoyed such growth if it did not. I have found the Ryanair staff / hostesses friendlier than Aer Lingus of late. If you want to talk about a carrier that treated people badly , think of how Aer Lingus treated its customers ( £ 200 to fly to England in the early 80's ) and shareholders....until it was forced to remodel itself and try to become a little bit efficient, at least.

And the Ryanair shareholders. This is his job!
If that were the case - why has he sworn he'd never pay a dividend to them?
So if somebody wants a full service with backup for when things go wrong then they should go elsewhere. Simple.
Not so 'simple' if O'Leary gets his way and creates a monopoly in Irish aviation!
Rainyday said:
If you are referring to Tony Ryan, it's a long time since he was boss of Ryanair.
Read it again - I said HIS (O'Learys) boss.
If there was no Ryanair then we wouldn't be flying to half the destinations we are now at such low prices.
Nonsense - there are dozens of LoCo carriers, and Aer Lingus is steadily expanding its routes too.
Besides - there's too much flying going on already. Its bad for the climate and the unfettered growth needs to be restrained. It is unsustainable. Rising fuel prices will eventually kill of this madness anyhow. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Its a bus service people. Either get on or off the bus.
I agree. Tell it to mr.rabbit - he wants us all on the bus.
rabbit said:
I have found the Ryanair staff / hostesses friendlier than Aer Lingus of late.
I suggest you re-read the original post on this thread by Rocky. Then read again the comments of emb, cuchullain and umop3p.
Meanwhile keep taking the medicine.

Three or four years ago, the AAM moderators took a decision to ban all discussion of Ryanair.

At that time, every time that Ryanair was discussed in a topic, the thread seemed to descend into bitter and pointless argument. A small number of posters seemed to pop up all the time in these discussions, generally taking extreme positions and regularly going out of they way to be belligerent and annoying to others. These people appeared to (and iirc admitted occasionally to) have vested interests within the non-Ryanair airline industry. They contributed little or nothing to any of the other AAM discussion forums and it was felt at the time that if we stopped discussing Ryanair for a while, they might go away.

Sounds familiar?

In the first post, the OP asks

Do I Have Any Case Against Ryanair Or Do I Write It Down As An Expensive Lesson When Booking Over The Net.

Can anyone else advise them on their rights in the case they have outlined?

Please take rants/general dicussion/opinion to Letting Off Steam

:) jeeez I'm bet.Meccano is using me as a witness for the defence.

Am being callous in asking why don't these people get there on time?

I'm no fan of Ryanair...I'm a pretty frequent traveller yet I only lost my Ryanair "virginity" recently.
As a rule I fly with Aer Lingus because I think the price premium is worth it.
O'Leary is an offensive character but a successful one.
If you choose to go the Ryanair "lowlife" route expect to be treated like lowlife if you deviate from their rules.
Get there on time...don't mess around with luggage...and don't complain if it all goes pearshaped.

As a rule I fly with Aer Lingus because I think the price premium is worth it.
Certainly not worth it on US flights in my opinion which is why I am going with BA rather than AL to the US (SF) next week for example.

Certainly not worth it on US flights in my opinion which is why I am going with BA rather than AL to the US (SF) next week for example.

Why do you say that?
I'm going to NY next week with Aer Lingus...did you have a bad experience?

Yes - most recently Dublin-Chicago (AL) and Chicago-SF (AA) which was crap all the way (over and back). In contrast Dublin-Heathrow and then Heathrow-SF with BA (maybe somebody else on the first leg) was always much smoother.

Yes - most recently Dublin-Chicago (AL) and Chicago-SF (AA) which was crap all the way (over and back). In contrast Dublin-Heathrow and then Heathrow-SF with BA (maybe somebody else on the first leg) was always much smoother.

There's a logic there alright...a short flight and a long one better than 2 long ones.

Flying on my own dollar to NY for 330 all in so I can't really complain!
Have a safe trip anyways!

Yeah - the short hop and long flight rather than two long flights is better and I prefer to avoid the (heretofore at least) normal chaos at Chicago if possible (e.g. huge queues at customs and first arrival point in US so need to identify baggage). Of course the job is paying so I can pick and choose to some extent! Good luck with NY - I'm sure it'll be fine. Some day I'll make it there.... Is that €330 return?!?

Yeah - the short hop and long flight rather than two long flights is better and I prefer to avoid the (heretofore at least) normal chaos at Chicago if possible (e.g. huge queues at customs and first arrival point in US so need to identify baggage). Of course the job is paying so I can pick and choose to some extent! Good luck with NY - I'm sure it'll be fine. Some day I'll make it there.... Is that €330 return?!?

Yeah...return and inclusive of all the rip-off extras. Booked them during one of their online sales months ago.

Good price. Even I would probably fly with AL for that if I was paying myself! :D

Good price. Even I would probably fly with AL for that if I was paying myself! :D

Indeed...it'll be interesting to see how this open skies thing will pan out. Maybe cheap transatlantic flights will be the norm?

I still have nightmares about flying via Chicagpo O Hare regardless of carrier, it's the busiest airport in the world. Twice missed connections due to delays, co-worker slept in a fold up cot in the airport, another spent a weekend in St Louis thanks to diversion, he went for a booze up and landed in a dry state :D Another missed a family funeral in Ireland. Once they discovered that the metal detector was switched off so whole airport was evacuated (about two months after 9/11) and re screened Five hour security queue! I arrived in Albequerque at four am instead of 8pm with work four hours later in Santa Fe. Got two hours sleep in a hotel.
We all switched to flying via Atlanta with Delta. I never enjoyed going via LHR due to immigration, the crap security queue during transfer from T3 to T1 plus I just don't plain like the airport. Also psychologically flying in the wrong direction at the start of a journey just feels wrong. Really wish Dublin had more direct flights available both east and west.
I didn't care for the Aer Lingus tranatlantic planes but didn't find BA, Delta or United to be much better. Guess they are all broke. Switched to Asia Pacific projects afterwards so Singapore, Cathay, Thai and co really looked good by comparison. Almost enjoyed flying.
Happily left that job now so no more lowly commercial traveller lifestyle for me. Won't even miss the gold cards!

I only flew Ryanair once - a last minute 400 euro one way flight from UK - Blackpool. It took off, landed and I got my taxi home, end of story. Middle aged English hen party on board but it was only a 35 minute flight so didn't care. Reckon I was subsiding the whole group with my fare.
I'd fly with anyone if it was the easiest option but I'd take the best available too, especially when someone else is paying.

Back