Ryanair

rocky

Hi All
I booked two return tickets on line with Ryanair last April to travel end of October. Checked On Line 24 hours before at stated on booking and arrived at airport only to find that we missed close of check In by 1-2 mins. (spent my time getting the car parked instead of getting to check in desk on time).

The Close Of Check In Time Was Not Mentioned On My Booking Form And Was Only To Be Found In Small Print On Website Which I Did Not Think To Look Out For. Because We Are Not Regular Flyers My Concern Was Departure Time. Anyhow We Lost Our Flight And Had 2 Choices Either Go Home And Return 2 Days Later For Next Available Flight Or Get A Connecting Flight With Easyjet Via Gatwick Which Is What We Did. Cost? €600 And Lost Time Of About 7 Hours. Do I Have Any Case Against Ryanair Or Do I Write It Down As An Expensive Lesson When Booking Over The Net.

< Capitalisation corrected by ajapale in for first paragraph. >

Hi Rocky,

Sadly I don't think you have a case. Ryanair do tend to very VERY strict with the check in time so I would think you have no comeback.

Sorry
Roy

Hi Rocky - Can I make one suggestion;

When you capitalise the first letter of every word, it makes your posts difficult for me to read. I presume it affects others in a similar way.

For example, can you try 'I booked 2 return tickets on line with Ryanair last April to travel end of October' instead of 'I Booked 2 Return Tickets On Line With Ryanair Last April To Travel End Of October'.

Regards - RainyDay

From experience of being in the same situation on a number occasions - not only with Ryanair but with other budget carriers - no you have no redress if you arrived after specified check-in time closed! If you check the information given at time of purchase you'll find this is clearly stated.

RainyDay said:
Hi Rocky - Can I make one suggestion;

When you capitalise the first letter of every word, it makes your posts difficult for me to read. I presume it affects others in a similar way.

For example, can you try 'I booked 2 return tickets on line with Ryanair last April to travel end of October' instead of 'I Booked 2 Return Tickets On Line With Ryanair Last April To Travel End Of October'.

Regards - RainyDay

Thanks Rainy, same here. It might have the effect of making people flick onto another topic.

Roy

onekeano said:
Thanks Rainy, same here. It might have the effect of making people flick onto another topic.

Roy
Hi all
I have got a few posts about this.I did not do this on purpose as it would take me too much time.How can I prevent it happening again?
rOCkY !! :eek:

rocky said:
Hi all
I have got a few posts about this.I did not do this on purpose as it would take me too much time.How can I prevent it happening again?
rOCkY !! :eek:

I think it might naturally happen if you post in block capitals. Did you do this in your first post?

rocky said:
Looks like you got it sorted out now - however it happened, it's not happening with this last post of yours.

The lesson is: don't cut it so close next time. You won't (and shouldn't) have any redress against Ryanair. One of the reasons that they are such good value is because of their tight turnaround times. If you don't make it to the gate - tough !

Guys.

When you cancel a flight with Ryan air you lose what money you paid but are you entitled to tax back ?? I am sure I read this on another board ???

Yes - but as far as I know Ryanair, like several other airlines, impose an administration fee on reclaiming the taxes on unused tickets which means that it's not worthwhile in most cases.

Ryanair will 'get you' anyway they can. 10 of us recently booked a return flight within Ireland. One of my friends is in a wheelchair and, as she did not declare this when booking, she could not get on the flight. Three of us went to a Ryanair desk, as directed, to see if there was any way we could overcome this. The remainder of the group stepped aside to allow other passengers to book in. As we were checking to see could we take a later flight the desk closed without informing the group they were doing so. A little politeness costs nothing. We, especially the person in the wheelchair, were treated very badly. Firstly the employee on the desk asked my friend was she in a wheelchair (daa!) and then pointed at each one of us saying 'you can get on the flight' and to one friend: 'you can not'. When we went to the Ryanair desk the employee did not even direct the conversation to my friend who put the query to her. She also refused to get her manager for us. We ended up getting public transport to the location. I have never experienced such rudeness. Perhaps Mr. O' Leary should realize that a little courtesy goes a long away and he'll be happy to hear that it costs nothing!
So if you could tell me their customer service email that would be great........then again they'll probably charge me per character or word.

friend of mine arrived at dublin for ryanair flight to paris few mins late ( broke down on motorway and had to get a taxi to airport) the ryanair staff were willing to let him and his partner go to paris but - no luggage- as the flight was closed. he declined and claimed off his insurance instead- which was also booked through ryanair. the insurance refused the claim as it was his responsibility to be at the check in desk in time. He even knew one of the employees at one of the airport shops and the ryanair check in crew even 'suggested' he get a plastic bag and fill it with necessary items and leave the check in luggage with his friend, but thinking the insurance would stump up he declined. so two mistakes, 1) he should have gone on the weekend with the min luggage ( great excuse for shopping ) and 2) taking out insurance for the weekend. either take out yearly insurance or insure yourself ie dont bother with weekend insurance.

A couple of years ago, we just made it to the check-in desk with about 5-10 minutes to spare. We queued up behind these people that were having quite an in-depth descussion with the check-in staff. By the time we got to the top of the queue, they said check-in had closed.

They were selling our seats to the people in front!

It was the last time I flew (well booked a flight with) ryanair. I can't stand them, and would rather not fly at all.

well on the flip side of all the stories here, I found the ryanair have been very flexible in changing flight if you were in a position to arrive for an earlier flight. On a couple of occasions i've been to meetings that finished up earlier, as I was fairly familier with the area around the airport I figured I'd go shopping, have a meal before going to the airport, but on an off chance went in to see if I could book in / offload my bags / get boarding card for the flight I was booked on. In both cases they let me book in for an earlier flight than i was scheduled to go on, at no charge.
I think a lot of people have missed the point of the Ryanair business model, its a bus! If you're not at the stop in the morning the no. 10 isn't going ot wait for you, neither is Ryanair! We get exactly what we pay for, cheap seat, a bit of inconvenience and more spending money!

travelled back from isanbul two weeks ago with turkish airlines. in dublin there was a dedicated check in desk but in instanbul you just joined the turkish airlines queue ( to anywhere) and it was a rope system like the banks and post offices here and there was about 8 desks open and moving fairly quickly and when it was your turn you just went forward to the vacant one and they took it from there. course such a system wouldnt work in dublin as it would reduce the queues and mayhem, especially during the rush periods and we wouldn't want that now, would we? also ryanair couldnt sell off seats as they wouln't necessarily know who was in the queue at any one time and what flights they were queueing for. thought it was a brilliant system and probably universal by now ( except in ..........)

travelled back from isanbul two weeks ago with turkish airlines. in dublin there was a dedicated check in desk but in instanbul you just joined the turkish airlines queue ( to anywhere) and it was a rope system like the banks and post offices here and there was about 8 desks open and moving fairly quickly and when it was your turn you just went forward to the vacant one and they took it from there. course such a system wouldnt work in dublin as it would reduce the queues and mayhem, especially during the rush periods and we wouldn't want that now, would we? also ryanair couldnt sell off seats as they wouln't necessarily know who was in the queue at any one time and what flights they were queueing for. thought it was a brilliant system and probably universal by now ( except in ..........)

Aer Lingus use this system in Shannon for the US departures

glad to hear that but how many departures would a/l have to the us at any given time 2 or 3 at most I suspect. dont now how many flights turkish airlines had but I would guess over 10 anyway in the 2 hour time zone( most to germany) why not implement it at dublin airport and say all flights by a/l to britain in one queue, all ryanair flights to britain in another, all a/l flights to europe in another and so on. just make sure enough desks are open to keep the q's moving. the smaller airlines could then have dedicated check in desks just for their own flights or maybe even amalgamate and run one line of desks between them. (out of curiosity I checked departures from ataturk airport just now and theres 15 turkish airline flights out in the next 2 hours, which means thats theres one queue for those 15 flights, which is pretty efficient in my book anyway)
cheers

Currently Ryanair use one person to check in each flight. Aer Rianta are blaming this failure to use a minimum of two staff like everone else in tandem with Ryanair's use of manual check in system to save money for the enormous queues they generate around the airport. It's one of the reasons they are being moved to the basement (dungeon). If they were allowed to pool check ins I wonder if they would hire more staff or use it to cut costs further.
I thought Aer Lingus already used this system on a limited basis i.e. US flights, UK ex London. So long as an airline has a dedicated closing flights desk I'm happy. BTW I thought check in desks couldn't sell tickets, only the ticket desk did this?

your are probably correct. probably the min number of staff to keep a pooled checkin moving. thought you couldnt buy tickets at check in either but umo says they were selling them.
slightly off topic. at dublin you are approached by security staff who ask you if you packed your bags and if they were out of you sight at any time. anyone going to the airport by bus ( ie dundalk/drogheda motorways services are now via the airport, and very handy too I acknowledge) has to put their cases into the luggage compartment of the bus. if travelling from dundalk the bus stops in drogheda and the driver opens the luggage door for the new passangers, but you are on the bus and cant see your luggage and therefore its out of your line of sight. course the answer in dublin airport doesn't reflect this.

Back