Ryanair cash passport

There was a very good piece on last Sunday 's Times by Niall Brady. I was not able to set up a link so here is the jist of what I read!

1. €2.50 per year Stamp Duty, or €5 if you use it at ATMs as well as for purchases.
2. The card costs €10.00 which Ryanair returns as a voucher to be redeemed against a future flight.
3. The minimum top-up is €175 and it costs €3 each time you load the card. Funds can be transferred from your current a/c or credit card caccount.
4. There is a monthly fee of €3 if the card isn't used for 6 months. (Am not sure if this €3 is payable for every month after the initial six months that there is no activity but I feel myself that it is €3 per month)
5. "If the fee exceeds the value on the card, there is a negative balance fee of €15."
Hope this helps! I have not made up my mind if I will get one yet. I really had a very good deal with my Neteller Card no charges at all!!

Sheesh, surely this makes the whole thing completely uneconomic except for the most frequent of flyers - and even then, they have to be very careful (particularly with point 5 above).....

As Ryanair's Cash Passport is only available in four countries (Irerland , Italy , Germany , UK) at present would it be possible to make a booking using a prepaid Mastercard on another euro Ryanair site? www.ryanair.com/fi springs to mind as the Finnish site is in english.

Last edited:
No. The problem is the fee is applied to where the flight originates not where it is booked from.

stronge --do you mean when you say the passport can be loaded from a current account a visa debit card.

I think the best thing for infrequent flyers to do is get together with a group of friends/relatives and buy one card then pay the person who topped up whenever a flight needs to be booked and paid for.
I thought of this but I'm guessing only the person who's name is on the card gets the 6 euro off for the flight. Otherwise one person could buy among loads and just hand it about which I'd say Ryanair have already sussed out.

Ryanair do let you use laser but you have to pay the €6 each way card fee. I wanted to get the cash passport as I fly a lot but as I am British, even tho I've been resident here for 12 years I can't apply
Are you sure you are applying from the Irish site ? Do they ask your nationality and base which card you get based on that ? I suppose one roundabout way would be to book the return leg and then hope you know when you're going to travel again.

I have not applied for this card so I am not speaking from personal experience I was quoting what was on the Sunday Times on the Best Buy page of last Sunday. However, when I had a neteller card I just transferrred the funds from my Bank of Ireland current account on line, so I had assumed you could do it the same way with the Ryan air Cash Passport. When I had my neteller card I often booked flights for other family members using the card which was in my sole name.
I am not sure how many flights you would need to take per year to make it worth the hassle of ensuring you have sufficient in the account and also that you do not let the account become inactive for more than 6 months. Sometimes I find I could book three or four flight very quickly and then not book any for months! The jury is still out for me on this one!!

ive applied for a ryanair passport about 6 times 100% unsuucessful , as ive said elsewhere my ptsb acct is healthy my passport is well in date , the only thing is im wondering is if the ptsb visa debit cards originate from uk , as i think tsb were originally british. ive emailed them with that question i am awaiting a reply.

First, use the Chrome Browser. Firefox does not work and IE just hangs for me.
One problem you might have is the need for a valid home land line.
I'm not sure how they check the validity!
I used a UPC land line number and it worked fine.
Not sure about a Skype land line number.

Also I think the MRC number does not include the last digit, the one after all the chevrons.

paddy 19 -- one needs to put in the last digit after the chevrons . i have since bought a ryanair passport with my mastercard credit card. the only reason that i wanted to buy it with my debit card from ptsb was i did not want to pay the a 1,5% cash transaction fee . i rang mastercard and they said they didnt think it would be cosidered one . i then went to the bank and they said the same so i am hoping for the best i will find out around 10th of march i will put the result up here .

Ryanair prepaid card

My first post out of sheer frustration in trying to get a Ryanair Prepaid card on line. I had used a Moneybookers Card up unitl they pulled the rug from under that one. Then I tried to get one of the new card on line, I have been going round and round in circles getting a message 'we cannot process your application at the time'. I rang the 1800 number and when I eventually got to speak to a human being they were no help either. I am using Internet Explorer and a Via Credit Card which is on their list. I sent an e-mail to Ryanair and no reply so far. Has anyone cracked the mystery of how to get a card and not pay the admin fees?????

carrigjoe and cashier ,,,, i hope this helps you if it does let the forum know for others benefit. i decided to buy one with a mastercard credit card after being assured by allied irish bank that it would be treated as a purchase. when i went to purchase i recieved a message similar to yourselves , so i rang mastercard here in dublin , and they informed me that they blocked it because it was an unuasually large purchase for me. they also told me that i was 3rd in line to be phoned and asked about the purchase they also asked me if i wanted to go ahead with the transaction and i said yes , they said wait 5 minutes and retry which i did successfully. .

1. €2.50 per year Stamp Duty, or €5 if you use it at ATMs as well as for purchases.
2. The card costs €10.00 which Ryanair returns as a voucher to be redeemed against a future flight.
3. The minimum top-up is €175 and it costs €3 each time you load the card. Funds can be transferred from your current a/c or credit card caccount.
4. There is a monthly fee of €3 if the card isn't used for 6 months. (Am not sure if this €3 is payable for every month after the initial six months that there is no activity but I feel myself that it is €3 per month)
5. "If the fee exceeds the value on the card, there is a negative balance fee of €15."
Hope this helps! I have not made up my mind if I will get one yet. I really had a very good deal with my Neteller Card no charges at all!!

Is the card €10 a one off charge or annual. Can it go up. Ditto the €3 current charge for top ups. Why oh why do I think that all these charges will change (ever upwards) once enough people have subscribed. This screams at me don't buy.

With the charges it won't be cost effective for ordinary people to use. Easier just to pay the fees if only booking the occasional flight.

Which I think was Ryanair's plan all along.

yes bronte the inactivity fee is a monthly one of 3 euro which clocks in after 6 months if not used ,but if say a booking for 6 people the saving on fees would be 72 euro the penalty would for 6 months would be only 18 euros. regarding the fees for loading the cards etc i dont think they are set by ryanair the card is issued by a company called r raphael and sons under licence from mastercard.

Is the card €10 a one off charge or annual. Can it go up. Ditto the €3 current charge for top ups. Why oh why do I think that all these charges will change (ever upwards) once enough people have subscribed. This screams at me don't buy.

Why are they charging us 3 euro to load but the british card is free to reload?

Also the price of flights has risen dramatically over the last 2 years and Aer Linus may be coming close to his prices.

Last year I was flying for 32euro a week rtn with the odd one being expensive due to holidays and coming home on sat am for 3.98euro all in and the year before between 12 to 21 euro return per week. This year I am looking at 100 euro a week return.

Thought we were in a recession?????

I heard on the news last week that there is a law coming in this year (brought forward from Oct '13) that will make the €6 booking fee illegal so people might as well wait instead of getting the card. Ryanair are only hoping to make up losses from this with their new card.

With the inactivity fee, why not load it with a €1000 or whatever amount so getting the most of the loading fee and can you not use the card for grocery shopping during the inactivity period (winter months) ??

I heard on the news last week that there is a law coming in this year (brought forward from Oct '13) that will make the €6 booking fee illegal so people might as well wait instead of getting the card. Ryanair are only hoping to make up losses from this with their new card.
Delighted to hear that. This nonsense should have been tackled years ago.

Ryanair have already said the decision doesn't affect them, as they charge an "admin" fee rather than a fee for booking with a card.

Personally I am astonished at the lengths people are going to, to still travel with Ryanair. I have flown with them many times, but not for a while. There is a limit to what I will put up with, and they passed my limit months ago. Like others, I have moved to Aer Lingus with a sigh of relief.
AL also charge €6 in booking fee, and for those of us in Ireland there is no escape at all (not even the pretend escape Ry offer) but I look at the overall price and service.

They can say what they like, dress it up any way you like it is still a charge for using a card.

You can avoid the charge with AL if you can find a Visa Electron card. Which I happen to have one. ;)

Back