Ryanair cash passport

nick468

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere before, and if it has, could you link me to the post?

I note that the new Ryanair cash passport will be required to dodge the airline's booking fees from next month. But according to a story in the Irish Independent, customers here will be able to continue using the Mastercard Prepaid cards until Ryanair launches its Irish cash passport.

Often when I travel, I will come back via a different airport, which will mean I have to make two seperate bookings - one from Ireland, the other in sterling from the UK. Does this mean I will be charged the £6 booking fee on the return flight, or will Ryanair be able to work out that I am based in Ireland because of the Mastercard Prepaid I use?

If anyone could enlighten me, that would be great!!

Nick

It is on the Independent's web site, but because I have not posted 15 messages yet, I cannot post links.

But if you google 'Ryanair cash passport ireland' you will see a story from the Irish Independent on the first page.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Nick

My understanding is that the Ryanair credit card fees are 'optional'. To avoid the Credit Card administration fee you must have a Mastercard Prepaid.

However these do not exempt you from the charges when booking flights originating from the UK or Italy. In order to avoid the admin fee in this case, you require a Ryanair Cash Passport.

However you have to be UK resident (or Italian resident I presume) to apply for the Ryanair Cash Passport.

This means that you cannot avoid the optional credit card admin fee if you book a flight out of the UK and are not UK resident. This sounds illegal/discriminatory, do you think there is any substance in this?

e.g. I want to travel to Bologna, Italy on my holidays. I cannot get a flight from Ireland therefore I need to book a flight to London (I can avoid cc fee). I then need to book a flight from London to Bolgona (I can not avoid this fee). I will also need to book a flight from Bologna to London, and a return flight from London to Dublin ( I cannot avoid the fee on either of these flights).

Ryanair always defend themselves by saying the CC fees are avoidable. Clearly in this case they are not.

i dont want to open a new thread for this simple enquiry, but does anyone know if they charge a credit card fee when one buys one of their samsonite hand luggage bags, i know that there is no delivery charge and they are the same amount in euro or sterling.

found out today from a friend who purchased one of their samsonite carry on cases ,that they say they will not question at the boarding gate, that there is no credit card charge or postage charge. they are 59 euro , but they take about 8 or 9 working days to arrive . that was to an address in dublin.

e.g. I want to travel to Bologna, Italy on my holidays. I cannot get a flight from Ireland therefore I need to book a flight to London (I can avoid cc fee). I then need to book a flight from London to Bolgona (I can not avoid this fee). I will also need to book a flight from Bologna to London, and a return flight from London to Dublin ( I cannot avoid the fee on either of these flights).

Are you saying you cannot (a) book flights which do not originate in Ireland and pay for them in € & (b) use the prepaid mastercard to pay for all legs of the journey in one booking from Ireland, thereby avoiding the booking fees?

does anyone have any details of ryanairs conditions for their passport debit card which they are introducing to ireland on march 1st . i cannot get any details on their website ,re uploading funds from bank accts laser cards etc .

They are now available in Ireland and are compulsory to avoid fees from March 1 2012.

ive read all the details/costs of the ryanair passport but i still dont know if they are international or if they are eurozone friendly, eg, exempt from charges within the eurozone region, as per gowens query regarding dublin/ bologna or vice versa . sometimes whe one goes away they cannot book a return as something within a business meeting or a family situation does not allow.

Their card will exempt you from the admin fee for all their flights.

to cashier re post 12 above-having looked at the site today ,when one wants to buy a ryanair passport from ireland it looks like that you can only have a euro account ,also there is only 3 ways to load funds-- visa credit or debit card or maestro credit card , be careful anyone loading from a credit card will incur a fee as well as the 3 euro that ryanair charge for uploading funds . its just like getting cash from a credit card .

I recently got a Neteller card and got a surprise when I booked a flight from Edinburgh to Dublin return and was charged the admin fee on both legs. (My son is studying in Scotland). Would I have saved one of the admin fee's if I had booked the flights seperately?
Am I now going to have the same problem if I get a Irish Ryanair Passport - I'll be charged the Admin fee on both legs because it is starting out from the UK. Presume I would have to have a UK passport to get a UK Ryanair passport.
My son comes back about 5 or 7 times every year so I could do without these extra charges. Any help is appreciated.

You only need a UK address to get the UK version of Ryanair's card.

You only need a UK address to get the UK version of Ryanair's card.

I tried that. You also need a UK bank account, which I have, or credit card account. They also check your address by postcode, so if you're not named in the street, you may have a problem.

My understanding of this is that if you are logged on in Ireland or at last to Ryanair.ie, you will need the euro Cash Passport. Ditto for UK logging on, you will need the UK sterling cash passport.

I was attempting to get a ryanair cash passport, but at the end it said to contact my visa debit card lending institution as it would not allow the transaction to go through. I got in touch with them PTSB and they said ryanair are putting the transaction through as a cash amount and not laser and they had a limit of €300 that could be transferred that way. If they were putting it through as laser it would be fine to have a higher amount. ( This may be deliberate on Ryanair's part???), I spoke to a guy called Steve Lee in card services (cash passport Ryanair) and he said it may have to be manually done to email cardservices@access prepaid ww.com and they would respond to my request. I also asked about using the card in shops in another Euro currency country and he said there would be no transaction fee for that. Did anyone get how much the fee is if you transfer an amount by visa ( not visa debit) into the account? Also if you do phone cash passport you need to go through the card lost or stolen option as you only get the engaged tone if you try to go through any other otption. Hope this helps someone else trying to get one of these elusive cards.

PTSB do not have laser cards and Ryanair do not accept laser for anything.

PTSB do not have laser cards and Ryanair do not accept laser for anything.
Sorry maybe I was misunderstood, I was using a ptsb visa debit to load money onto a cash passport to get this card, but it would not allow me to put on more than €300. When I contacted the bank they said they must be trying to put it through as a cash transaction as there is a limit of €300 doing it this way.

I know ryanair do not accept laser but when they put through a visa debit transaction they have an option of putting it through as laser or cash and they seemingly put it through as cash, thus causing this problem

. If anyone has managed to put on more than €300 onto a new cash passport using a ptsb visa debit card i'd be interested to know. Alternatively could anyone tell me how much it would cost to transfer the money using a regular visa card? thanks M.

Back