Ryanair Booking Ordeal -I don't want a Ryanair suitcase.

Kimmagegirl

I have just gone through the ordeal of booking some flights with Ryanair. Having to opt out of not purchasing travel insurance, priority boarding, reserved seating, purchasing a suitcase, purchasing a gamble to win a free flight, then a pop up page asking me if I was sure if I wanted to opt out of travel insurance, then a pop up for Hertz cars rental and probably some others that I have already forgotten....it's an absolute disgrace. No wonder people make mistakes inputting information about dates, names, credit card details etc. All the while looking at the monetary tot in the right hand column of the booking page as you progress is not easy.

Why I have to opt out of purchasing a Ryanair suitcase is beyond me!

I have just gone through the ordeal of booking some flights with Ryanair. Having to opt out of not purchasing travel insurance, priority boarding, reserved seating, purchasing a suitcase, purchasing a gamble to win a free flight, then a pop up page asking me if I was sure if I wanted to opt out of travel insurance, then a pop up for Hertz cars rental and probably some others that I have already forgotten....it's an absolute disgrace. No wonder people make mistakes inputting information about dates, names, credit card details etc. All the while looking at the monetary tot in the right hand column of the booking page as you progress is not easy.

Why I have to opt out of purchasing a Ryanair suitcase is beyond me!

Totally agree...and you will have to go through it all again when you go to check in online!!:D

you actually get used of dodging bullets there eventually and it can be done fairly quickly ..and we are all there for the price anyway.

If you don't like it book with someone else for the same price......if you can find them.

It doesn't have to follow that because something is reasonably priced that you have to go through an ordeal to get it? Anyhow Ryanair is no longer a low cost airline. Their prices have been creeping up very quickly in the past year or so.

Ryanair dominate European skies, but EasyJet, Vueling, Norwegian, and (increasingly) Aer Lingus offer real alternatives.

That's true, people here seem to only look at Ryanair or Aer Lingus and forget that other airlines exist - I've flown cheaper to London with BA (though had booked with BMI flight was operated by BA) - really everyone should use www.skyscanner.ie to check their options.

The fact is though that moaning about Ryanair is just so tiresome and pointless, if you don't like them don't fly with them.

Agree with the OP. The experience of booking and checking in online is so horrendous that I would actually pay more for an easier booking experience.

The fact is though that moaning about Ryanair is just so tiresome and pointless, if you don't like them don't fly with them.

I disagree. Sometimes, the RYANAIR flight is the only option for where you want to go. And if you pay them money to get you there, you're 'allowed' to comment and/or complain about the quality of service received.

Earlier this month, we travelled to Biarritz on a Tuesday and back to Dublin on the Friday of the same week. Both flights were with RYANAIR and booked in April. We (2 adults) paid nearly €600 for the flights, which included just one checked-in bag (15kg). We declined all other optional add-ons.

That, for me, is not a cheap flight so the usual defence of "Ah sure you paid half nothing so what do you expect" does not apply here.

RYANAIR and the DAA are doing a great job in encouraging Irish people to holliday at home ;).

I hadn’t flown with Ryanair for a few years until recently. I was attending a wedding which about an hour away from Beauvais. It was easier to fly there and rent a car than flying to Charles de Gaulle and having to cross l’Ile de France. Now, I agree, the online booking process is an obstacle course! The fact that “no insurance required” is at the bottom of the list rather than the top baffles me. I truly believe that they do hope that some people will not notice things like that and end up paying for them without realising it. The process is confusing and in my opinion, done on purpose. In saying that, you know what to expect with Ryanair now: we have heard enough about it to know that the handbag and shopping bags should fit in the suitcase, you will be penalised for not checking in online etc… Although they are not always the cheapest, should one decide to fly with them, they should follow their rules and the journey will be pain free! The only thing is that if you are an elderly person or are simply distracted/not paying attention during the booking process, it can turn into a real headache.

For me, it was no handbag, a suitcase that did not look like it was overflowing but most importantly: a reserved seat! This meant that we just had to walk in without the pushing and sometimes shoving in the queue. One thing I was quite happy about is the fact that the first few rows are “off limit”. The reason I do appreciate this is that for example when I book my seat with Aer Lingus, although I do have a seat booked, ususally 2D as I like to be in and out, unless I board the plane quickly enough, I am not guaranteed a space for my little suitcase. Meaning that you have to walk up the aisle until you find an available space. So even if you are seating at the front, when disembarking, you will probably not be one of the 1st to do so. So, this is something I appreciated.

Where the journey went sour for us is that after all of that, we could not rent the car as we had both forgotten our driving licences at home!!!!!

Earlier this month, we travelled to Biarritz on a Tuesday and back to Dublin on the Friday of the same week. Both flights were with RYANAIR and booked in April. We (2 adults) paid nearly €600 for the flights, which included just one checked-in bag (15kg). We declined all other optional add-ons.

That, for me, is not a cheap flight so the usual defence of "Ah sure you paid half nothing so what do you expect" does not apply here.
You're flying in July, all Irish schools and colleges are closed. Why would Ryanair sell these peak travel time tickets cheaply in April or any other time? Imagine M'OL telling shareholders we'd 100% seat sales in July but the clever cloggses tricked us by booking early so we didn't make the profit per passenger we'd hoped for.

With computerized price setting you will get little discount for booking early of near guaranteed sales. You might even get penalized for identifying yourself as a someone who has a restricted travel window.

If you want cheap tickets you need to travel when Ryanair isn't so confident of filling a flight.

Where the journey went sour for us is that after all of that, we could not rent the car as we had both forgotten our driving licences at home!!!!!

Bloody typical of Ryanair, ye'd think they could have sent ye a reminder:D:D

Bloody typical of Ryanair, ye'd think they could have sent ye a reminder:D:D

Ah well, the very efficient airline took it upon itself to send us all our boarding cards by email last Tuesday morning - to be printed out!!! Given we only had smartphones it failed!

Small wonder when we got to Dublin airport there were very few in the queue for the "WebCheck-in/baggage drop off" everyone was in the other queue explaining that they could not print out the boarding passes...

The fact that “no insurance required” is at the bottom of the list rather than the top baffles me. I truly believe that they do hope that some people will not notice things like that and end up paying for them without realising it. The process is confusing and in my opinion, done on purpose.
Possibly, but the fact is that you have to select something deliberately to actually get charged for it. If you don't fill in any of the fields you will get an error telling you that you have not entered an answer. It's also now easy to see what you are paying for as the flight total is at the start, not like the old days where they added the tax and charges later on. So at the end if the price does not tally with your initial price you can venture back and change it. Now if you didn't have a mouse and had to tab around using the keyboard that would be difficult.

What really scares me is the future. I already find the Ryanair booking process difficult and intimidating and while I am no spring chick I am at least computer literate and used to dealing with administrative issues. In 10 or 15 years times I may not be able to manage it.

Its a bit of an ordeal but its a game worth playing. Whatever you click you only have to keep an eye on the price. If that changes something has gone wrong.

I'd still encourage people to mess up and pay too much as they subsidise the low costs for the rest of us.

What really scares me is the future. I already find the Ryanair booking process difficult and intimidating and while I am no spring chick I am at least computer literate and used to dealing with administrative issues. In 10 or 15 years times I may not be able to manage it.

I think you have used the right word here, it can be intimidating and I completely agree with you. While I would be comfortable and confident today when it comes to computer in 20/30 years time, it may be a different story. But who knows how we will travel by then?

Who said the days of cheap flights are over. I've just booked the annual trip (return) to Nice for 2 for €151

Back