Ryanair Booking Ordeal -I don't want a Ryanair suitcase.

I would have thought that 4 people flying to London for the Oct bank holiday weekend could be loosely termed a holiday.

Yes, but haters gonna hate.

I just booked a weekend in Manchester in October for €45 return, out Friday afternoon, return Sunday evening. Oh, and I was able to read the screen and just tick no to all the additions, and my carry-on bag will suffice with room to spare.

Is it really such an ordeal to click no thanks five times? It takes seconds. I think some people just think it compulsory to whinge about ryanair. If you hate them so, fly with someone else. But really, clicking a few drop downs on a website is by no reasonable definition a dreadful ordeal.

It's the way you can be caught out, particularly if you are not used to the site

I take you are not going on holiday and have no luggage

It's the way you can be caught out, particularly if you are not used to the site

I'm not seeing any link between these two posts other than just whining about Ryanair. Why would someone necessarily have to bring bags with them on a weekend away? It's a choice the person makes and Ryanair don't hide what they charge for bags to be put in the hold, so what's the problem?

Indeed I am NO fan of Ryanair. Whilst their prices are tempting at times I can always find the same price or a similar price from alternative airlines if I spend about 15 mins surfing the net.

I've probably flown to Malaga about 20 times in the last 7 years. The first few times I flew Ryanair but for about €20 more I always got a similar flight with Aer Lingus or Iberia. For me it was worth the €20 not to have to travel with Ryanair. Given the flights are 2hrs 45mins each way, that's only an additional cost of €3.63 per flight hour to get helpful and respectful service, from check-in, to boarding, to in-flight service and disembarckation. I'm not asking to be pampered, I'm just asking to be treated like a decent human being.

I know some will say that you get what you pay for with Ryanair, but as I live in a border county, I've gravitated more towards using Easyjet out of Belfast to get to Malaga in the last few years. They operate a similar no-frills policy as Ryanair, but apart from the garish orange interior of their aircraft, they provide the same courteous service as Aer Lingus, Iberia etc.

So I see no reason why Ryanair have to be the exception in terms of excusing their actions.....................

...........and rant over :)

Caught out? How? You have to actively opt in to any of the extras, its all very clear. All you have to do is read the info and check the right box.

I have been flying with Ryanair for many years and so far have never had a problem. We have been caught out with Ash clouds, Air traffic controllers strike and other incidents but have always been either re-scheduled or re-imbursed by them.

By the way I am going to Nice (as mentioned in my previous post) for a week's holidays with carry-on bag only. They actually have water in France and even washing machines also!!

As a very, very frequent flyer over the last ten years, I would agree with the OP, the Ryanair check-in experience is overlong and loaded with questions already asked at time of booking. It smacks of Mrs Doyle to me and irrespective of whether or not I can click no thank you multiple times, as a customer experience it is less than engaging. They aren't the only perpetrators of this upselling approach, booking flights with BA recently I noted the same eagerness for me to take advantage of various offers that they had to make. Needless to say, they got the same response that Ryanair do.

On the bash/defend Ryanair that these topics always seem to drift to. For the most part, I have had fair to reasonable service from Ryanair, most staff have been courteous, most flights have flown and have operated reasonably on time. Furthermore I fly frequently enough to be irritated but not put out by the various zealous campaigns that their management institute to squeeze the last cent out of the client base. However, as time has gone on, I am less and less inclined to fly Ryanair, while I am not excluded by their busy website, their cross-selling, their up-selling, their strictures, etc, I am put off by it. It is a little bit of extra hassle and irritation that I would have to encounter every week if I was flying with them and, as other posters have pointed out, the price is far from always right.

So as time has gone on, Ryanair have worked hard at it and lost me as a regular customer. Once I chose to fly with them weekly, now I only do so when I really have no other option.

One thing I will say in Ryanair's favour is that at least you can check in online a full 15 days before the flight (i.e. allowing you to check in for both outward and inward flights on a typical fortnight holiday). I was returning from Thailand recently and the Etihad online check-in could only be done 24 hours before take-off, which was not at all convenient as we were by then already travelling back to Phuket via ferries and buses, and internet access/printing facilities were not readily available. Aer Lingus aren't much better with their 30-hour window.

Mind you, these other airlines don't gouge you the way Ryanair do if you don't check in online...

I am actually always surprised at how good Ryanair staff are when you consider the CEO's attitude towards customer service.

Ryanair offer a certain service. Everyone knows what it is and they have no need to apologise to anyone considering how successful they are. However, their business model is to have headline fares as low as possible while getting people to spend money on ancillary items like baggage and lottery tickets. This of course leads to hard selling. I don't enjoy it but considering the amount of muppets I see on flights buying said lottery tickets, I don't blame them for trying.

Actually Dr Moriarty, be careful with that particular "bonus" of a fifteen day check in. Once checked in you cannot make changes to the flight, not usually something you'd have to worry about (or want to pay for) but I have seen it cause a problem or two which were costly.
The big problem with the Ryanair checkin policy (as opposed to experience) is the four hour cut-off which is an unusually long cut-off and the lack of a mobile check-in facility (the insistence of the scrap of paper).

Back