Roy Keane ?

Speak for yourself. I think Roy made some valid points.

Last night wasn't good enough. Spain are more skillful no doubt but they also worked harder than us, they pressed us constantly. I have never seen an Irish team looking so lacklustre. Concentration levels were poor. Some of them looked unfit. Not good enough.

I am speaking for myself my point was what Keane was saying about the Irish fans not was he was saying/ trying to say about the game itself . look before you leap my friend

Can you name one player in the Irish team who played to the best of their ability in either of the 2 matches so far?

I fear many of the senior players are past their best. Even Given didn't look fit in the first match.

I think Trap is just too conservative.
The only hope is that if some of these players retire , his hand will be forced and he will have to blood new players. Certainly squad players like Long, McClean, Walters and Gibosn could be given a run and others like McCarthy, Coleman and Houlahan should be played.

I am speaking for myself my point was what Keane was saying about the Irish fans not was he was saying/ trying to say about the game itself . look before you leap my friend

My point is that fans should not be celebrating that performance.

When Galway lose to Kilkenny in hurling by playing really badly, you wont find too many fans singing fields of athenry because we were beaten by a better team. The players don't expect it either.

They weren't celebrating that performance, any eejit would know that. They were celebrating being at the Euros and making the most of it. Roy Keane completely missed the point. Of course the team shouldn't be happy with their performances but give the fans a break - what's the point getting dejected about it when you went over there to enjoy yourself and savour being at a major tournament.

They weren't celebrating that performance, any eejit would know that. They were celebrating being at the Euros and making the most of it. Roy Keane completely missed the point. Of course the team shouldn't be happy with their performances but give the fans a break - what's the point getting dejected about it when you went over there to enjoy yourself and savour being at a major tournament.

Well when I go to France on my holidays later in the summer, I'll be sure to start singing The Fields of Athenry on the train to celebrate the fact that I'm on holiday!

I wonder if someone else made the comment, would there be less outrage?
I don't think Roy was having a go at the support per se, he was unhappy about the attitude that allows us to not care about the result.

I don't want to be the novelty act. We were a whisker away from qualifying for the semi-final in 1988. We could well have won that tournament with more belief. Granted they were far better players in '88 (and you'd have to ask why that is - something is clearly wrong with our underage setup). But Denmark and Greece can win it, why shouldn't we?

Hopefully we can beat the All-Blacks to lift my mood.

When Galway lose to Kilkenny in hurling by playing really badly, you wont find too many fans singing fields of athenry because we were beaten by a better team. The players don't expect it either.

Thank God for that. I cannot bear the song.

I saw Roy before the match and there was a sort of tribute to Robbie Keane which ended with Robbie is a great player.

Roy Keanes comment was along the lines of he's not that great just lucky. He then went onto say that 50 something goals was an achievement though.

I switched over then but I think Roy is like a girl I work with and can't help himself. The other day she said I looked really really well for my age.

The fans weren't celebrating failure or losing 4-0. They were simply doing what proper supporters do. They were supporting their team to the bitter end. Think there are some people here who like to leave the ground early to beat the traffic if the result isn't going their way. The people who travelled to Poland spent a fortune of their money on doing so. If singing and having the craic is what they want to do, then who is Roy Keane or anyone here to they need to change their mentality.

I am a huge Roy Keane fan but in this case he was talking through his This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language.

Roy Keane was talking about the players, not the fans as such. The only thing to me that he wants the fans to do is be more demanding and not just put up with the abysmal performances we have seen these past few days. And who would disagree with that!

Did you hear Delaney on the radio this evening...UEFA should give the Irish fans a special award for that last 10 minutes last night!!!!

I mean, for the love of God!!! Is that the level we're still at....will we ever grow up. That man earns 400k+ a yr (and generous expenses no doubt)....he is the highest paid man in soccer who resides on this island. There is not 1 professional player based here and he draws a wage like that when the winners of the FAI cup get something like 30k!!! And he goes around sprouting crap like that, buying crates of beer for fans on trains blah blah blah.
He should cut 300k off his salary and use it to employ 10 more coaches, preferably from Spain, to work in schools around the country

Forget Delaney. He is an overpaid fool. How demanding do you want fans to be? Do you want fans to walk out if they losing 4-0? Do you want them to boo? Do you want them to throw stuff?

This is no different to the Olympics. Irish athletes are going to get criticised for not winning medals. So instead of actually applauding these people for reaching a standard that at their worst is way beyond what any of us could achieve, we call them losers. It would be like Longford fans moaning about not winning the All Ireland. People need to cop themselves on.

Forget Delaney. He is an overpaid fool. How demanding do you want fans to be? Do you want fans to walk out if they losing 4-0? Do you want them to boo? Do you want them to throw stuff?

It's not the fact that we lost or were losing 4-0. It's the manner of the performances and the effective acceptance of this by the fans that annoyed me. I expect the fans to let the players know that they are not happy with the performances.

It's like Italia 90 when we reached the quarter-final and there was an open-top bus parade. Fair enough.

But then 4 years later we only get to last 16 but still we have plaudits despite the fact that a last 16 spot was a step back from Italia 90.

Why celebrate failure?

Nobody apart from kids and politicians thought 94 celebrations were appropriate. Who is celebrating failure? Not like we are having an open bus parade after this. One team will win this the European Championships. It's not going to be Ireland. Let's hang our heads in shame. Look at the teams that didn't qualify. Ireland lost two games. The Netherlands lost two games. Sorry for thinking those players have no reason to be embarrassed about anything. Of course they could have played better but that's sport.

Ireland has not qualified for the euro championships since 1988. Judging by people here, you would swear we were regular competitors at this level. A lot better Irish teams failed to qualify for major tournaments.

It was good to qualify for the 2012 Euro finals, but the 2 performances and heavy defeats have been embarrassingly bad. Yeah, the fans are great, but tv pundits and Delaney can't dress up the great fans feelgood story to eclipse the dire match performances.

I think his message go a little muddled in trying to say that the fans are great and deserve better, but they should also demand better. It's all talk for TV anyway and Johnny 'honesty of effort' Giles, or Dunphy could have said the same thing and it would be brushed over.
Alot of the praise is kind of patronising, but I wouldn't let that take away from what happened. Irish supporters in Poland actually fit the description and didn't turn on their team, many 'fans' follow their team, but we supported them. It's interesting aswell that so many people take a defeatist attitude towards the team before the game and then hammer them when they do lose. A little bit of understanding as to what we achieved by getting there and just what we have at our disposal would go along way.

Gutted we lost and we have nothing to play for in the last game. Every other tournament we qualified for we had something to play for in each game and gave everyone a good game. The fans are great and are also over there on holiday and are caught up in the atmosphere, they're making the most of it anf fair play to them.
By no means is this a cuase of celebration , something to be proud of or any kind of consolation or achievement. We were terrible in this tournamnet and out way too early thats the bottom line

Back