Rip-off Republic Episode 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
RS2K said:
Yes, but going back to basics €15 is not good value for that meal imho.

Fair enough. IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINION.

In my humble opinion, given the surroundings, the service, the quality - the full package - €15 may very well be excellent value for money, as I said, imho.

You can't tell me that €15 isn't worth it. You've no idea how my value-scale works.

Just the same as if I'm willing to pay €3 for a litre of milk in a shop at 4.30am in the morning for the convenience (made up example!!!).

If it's what I want to pay, then it's not a ripoff to me, and it's within my value assessment.

I think that one of the problems in this country at the moment is that people are earning so much money (relatively to before, and what they saw their parents earn), that many people very quickly make these value judgements based purely on the "right here, right now", "I want it all and I want it now" type of judgement rather than on a logical assessment of what they're actually getting for their money.

tall chapy said:
Clubman
Nice as you are, playing Devils advocate, means critising both sides equally
I'm not playing Devil's Advocate - I don't believe that we have a pervasive rip-off culture in Ireland. There are genuine rip-offs but blaming everything on "rip-off Ireland" misses the point and fails to concentrate on the real rip-offs. I totally agree with raising consumer awareness, shopping around, complaining about bad service/value, alerting the relevant statutory authorities to breaches of consumer legislation, identifying real rip-offs and taking steps to deal with them etc. etc. but I don't believe in populist and unconstructive moaning about "rip-off Ireland" for the sake of it.

delgirl said:
If you feel you're being 'ripped-off' by the M50 tolls - join 98FM & The Sunday World's campaign to Bury the Tolls!

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We aim is to get as many people as possible to text Toll to [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]51101[/font] to form the biggest SMS petition (Toll Poll) to get the National Toll Spokesperson to declare a free Toll 2 hours.

Text number is 51101.

"Text Toll to 51101 with your name and address" or email [email protected] with the same info."
[/font]
Just a small thing in the larger scheme of things on this particular discussion.

Firstly, I think that 98fm are supposed to declare what the cost of messages to an SMS code like this - whether or not it's premium, it must be declared.

[broken link removed]

Secondly, and I'm open to correction on this, but I believe that any number beginning with anything except 50*** is chargeable at more than just the operator rates. So 51101 is liable to cost you more than operator rates.

6.2 Use of word 'Free'

[broken link removed]

I thought the show (like the previous 2) was great. Most AAMers knew a lot of this stuff before. The only reservation that I would have is that it will open the door for the Shinners because if ever they had an election manifesto gift this is it.

How anyone would vote for the current idiots is unbelieveable (he says as one of the idiots that did!). Apart from the NTR odour that still emanates from Pee, Georgy Porgey and Liamo, who in their right might would get a builder who quoted 100k but finised at 600k to quote for the next job? This is what the govt have been doing with overruns.

Seamy was great when he was saying that "it wasn't fair to quote the original estimates" - ultimate idiot! There was some quotes about previous shows that they were simplistic but why do we need to have all the smoke and mirrors about macroeconomics / hidden costs etc. etc.

Roy

This thread was making great progress in a reasonably civilised manner until bitter personal attacks on other posters were made. As the poster of those insults has withdrawn them, I have deleted the post and the subsequent responses.

Some of us have very strong feelings on this subject. I don't want to quell the lively nature of the discussion, but please everyone respect everyone else's right to disagree with you.

I find it very irritating when the country is being swept along on a massive negative wave which describes everyting in Ireland as a rip-off. I know that a lot of people find it irritating that some of us, a minority perhaps, believe that there is a difference between things being expensive and a rip-off.

But can we all suppress our frustration and discuss the real issues involved and not the personalities, apart from Eddie of course.

Brendan said:
until bitter personal attacks on other posters were made.

Personally I didn't find the comments on either side so bad that anyone should lose sleep over them - heated maybe, but I sensed it as being more of a sparring match. Maybe it's just me!

What I am disappointed though to see, is that many of the comments contained in the deleted posts, which were valid opinions and not forming part of the attacks, have been deleted.

If no-one minds I would like to re-introduce some of the non volatile comments into the thread as their deletion, IMHO, has bolstered the minority opinioin (IMHO) in relation to the meaning of "rip-off"... :

Podgerodge

Trying to maintain a civil atmosphere on Askaboutmoney is not easy. Rd made a number of posts which some people found offensive. He apologised for causing offence. I turned the clock back to see if we could have the debate on this topic continued in the civil manner in which it was being conducted until Rd made his contribution. If Rd wishes to reinstate his comments in a civil manner, he is welcome to do so. If you wish to make any points you wish to in a civil manner, you are welcome to do so.

Whether or not you agree with a moderator's decision, please do not undo that decision

Brendan

I had responded to some of these comments but I feel that it's fruitless to reproduce my own comments again now that they have been deleted.

ClubMan said:
Ah - so I was correct after all - there is an element of rip-off about this rip-off campaign insofar as the charges applicable are not clearly disclosed! :)
If you were an avid 98FM listener, which you're obviously not, you would have heard them say each time they called for listeners to text that the SMS's are charged at the normal operator rates and not premium rates.

I have passed ronan_d_john's comments on to them and hopefully they will also include this information on their website.

Being called "nice" and "bright" in one thread? What a great start to the morning. Thanks folks! :D
Yes, you can be very nice and are obviously very bright and very articulate - hope this provides a good start to the day tomorrow! :)

As the poster of those insults has withdrawn them

Brendan could you correct this. I didn't withdraw anything. The comments were deleted by someone else. You're perfectly entitled to delete them, but it's misleading to suggest that I withdrew anything I said.

I'm not going to engage in any further discussion of Rip-Offs. Enough people agree with what I've been saying for the last 2 years that the points will still get made by others.

Thanks to those who've PM'd me and who've posted comments of agreement in the various threads. The Rip-Off Republic TV Show is very important as it is giving a national profile to an issue that many of us feel strongly about. Of course there will be some who don't like the message. But that's life.

-Rd

delgirl said:
Yes, you can be very nice and are obviously very bright and very articulate - hope this provides a good start to the day tomorrow! :)
Thanks. Could you arrange some more compliments for the morning now that I've seen this one. It would be a nice antidote to some of what went on just recently here.

Hi DaltonR

I presume that your apology for causing offence was interpreted in the best possible way by Brendan as a withdrawal of your comments?

Marion

ClubMan said:
I had responded to some of these comments but I feel that it's fruitless to reproduce my own comments again now that they have been deleted.

True you had. I should have added some of those as well. Apologies!

Hi PodgeRodge

As I stated, if a post is deleted it should be deleted in its entirety and not be reproduced by others.

DaltonR could have reposted these valid viewpoints if he had wanted.

I will not be moderating your post.

Marion

It's ironic that the very thing Brendan tried to achieve is not happening.
Perhaps you shoudl delete the last few posts again back to oneKeano's.

The last few contain the following

"until bitter personal attacks on other posters were made"
"As the poster of those insults has withdrawn them, I have deleted the post and the subsequent responses."
"He apologised for causing offence"

Since the original comments are no longer available it gives a very unfair image of what transpired.

I did not withdraw any comments.
I would not characterise ANYTHING I said as a bitter personal attack.
I believe that some of the attacks towards myself on AAM have been worse than anything I've written, but you wouldn't know it to read this thread.
I did not apologise for causing offense because I don't believe the comments were offensive.

I am sorry if some people find certain turns of phrase offensive. But more sorry for the individuals than sorry towards them.

I'm happy to have my posts moderated, but not to create a false imprsesion.

-Rd

It's ok, Brendan did it for you!

I don't know what is wrong.

You specifically mentioned twice in your earlier posts that you hoped it was ok to repost quotes from a deleted post.

I posted that it wasn't appropriate to reproduce from a deleted post. I asked if you would edit your own post. I had hoped that you would have done this. You chose not to.

You suggested that the editing be done by an Administrator. It was.

Marion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back