Residential car charger Recommendations

Dan_The_Man

hi ..hoping you can help me create a short list for electric car chargers ..for VW ID type car ...any recommendations?
loose criteria (early days open to inputs) ...thinking of tethered, abilty to set charge time (avail over overnight rates) etc.
lower priority but something neat/tidy preferred.

Last edited:
Anything useful here?

Anything useful here?
not really (i did read before posting)

I have a zappi. Older model though so no wifi enabled app or control functions. Newer model has an app for setting timer etc I believe. Had no issues with mine. I got the non tethered one as one car is type 1 and another is type 2

hi ..hoping you can help me create a short list for electric car chargers ..for VW ID type car ...any recommendations?
loose criteria (early days open to inputs) ...thinking of tethered, abilty to set charge time (avail over overnight rates) etc.
lower priority but something neat/tidy preferred.
depends really, in essence they are all just outdoor plugs capable of charging at 7kw/h.

Tethered will be bigger and less tidy, and most owners charge once or twice a week max (unless you are trying to divert excess solar) so do you want the large less tidy charger for the sake of not having to take a cable out of your boot or shed or whatever once a week?

Most chargers support timed charging through an app and most cars also support this themselves seperately as well.

Personally i have a EO mini pro 2 hidden behind a downpipe at the side of the house, you wouldnt know it was there.

I went for an Anderden tethered A2 charger,,(have it just over 2 years,as personally i would not be capable of looking at a “hose reel” mess. Its about, in the middle of the driveway, had to bring the wiring out, via downstairs toilet to achieve this, but its behind conduit, we can charge either of our 2 EV’s this way, as both parked in driveway.

Timed charging via app, start/stop etc, and daily/weekly/monthly/annual EV charging costs, are easily setup on the Konnect + app. Can also fully disable the charger via the app. Has a light, handy at night, which comes on when you open the top flap, to take out the cable.

Andersen went into liquidation last year, so there was a period of nonsupport, but this was rectified, when were taken over by another company, have had a few issues with software, but the IT support has been responsive, and a new app is due in the coming months. Its probably the tidiest looking EV charger available. They come with 3 years warranty and are not cheap.

IMG_0749.jpeg

Last edited:
If you run a search for "electric vehicle charger review uk 2023" you should find multiple sites offering their top 5 or 10, with appraisals, pros and cons, etc. I assume most of the models are also available here.

Putting charger on the gable wall (near meter boxes).

Would it be better to have it inside the garden gate?

How do you prevent unwanted persons charging their cars?

I have a Wallbox and it is controlled via the app, so it doesn’t switch on just because someone has plugged in so it’s safe to leave in an accessible place

never happens
You have empirical proof?

The number of EVs is low at present relative to the total number of cars; I don't expect it to stay that way.

Petrol siphonage was a known problem many years ago; as was theft of car radios. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of unwanted EV charging in time.

Are all chargers locked via an app? Does that mean if phone is lost or damaged you can't get access?

Is having the charger behind the side gate a good idea?

You have empirical proof?

The number of EVs is low at present relative to the total number of cars; I don't expect it to stay that way.

Petrol siphonage was a known problem many years ago; as was theft of car radios. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of unwanted EV charging in time.

Are all chargers locked via an app? Does that mean if phone is lost or damaged you can't get access?

Is having the charger behind the side gate a good idea?

so someone is going to park in your drive way for hours on end to nick 5-10 worth of electricity and you wont notice?

stealing petrol or a radio takes minutes.

Apps have logins, you dont need to have the same phone.

so someone is going to park in your drive way for hours on end ... and you wont notice?
given the location of the property in question, this is possible.

thank you for the info re the app; I don't however have a second phone.

anyone else - would having the charger behind the side gate be a good idea?

Anything that makes it more awkward for a thief makes it more awkward for you - every single time!! Think of coming home in the rain having to negotiate that side gate.

Given that anyone driving an EV is going to know what simply plugging in to a charger isn't likely to get them anywhere, the chances of attempted theft of electricity is exceedingly low. It's a very low reward crime.

I have an EO mini pro, untethered. Front facing so wanted something neat and as inconspicuous as possible. You have to a circuit breaker unit with them as well though so that adds to the 'furniture'. It has timing options though I haven't bothered with it so far so can't comment on it.

Untethered works for me.... all depends on how often you will be actually plugging in.

If the charger is behind a gate, how are you going to access it to charge at night ? Are you going to have to get a hole cut in the gate to feed the cable through , or get a very long cable and throw it over the gate

given the location of the property in question, this is possible.

thank you for the info re the app; I don't however have a second phone.

if you are that concerned about it and the security offered via the app isnt convenient and you dont want to use your breaker on the fuseboard to disable it you could always pay a bit more and get one of the ones that need a fob or keycard to activate, still the same issue, you could lose the fob or keycard i suppose.

Back