bi-directional EV charger

bigred

Has anyone any experience with the use of bi-directional EV chargers (e.g. https://wallbox.com/en_uk/quasar-dc-charger) that support vehicle to home / grid (V2H / V2G)?

As far as I can see, only the Nissan Leaf openly supports the technology so far but other manufacturers will surely follow in time. Considering that EV's are basically big batteries on wheels I can see a lot of potential benefits very similar to a home battery system?

V2L is more common - V2G is only in trial really at this stage. The Ford F150 lightning was used to power a car showroom in California during the recent storms but over in Ireland, it's rare to see these coupled together - it makes sense to the consumer, just not to the car manufacturers, yet!!
Example of Trials:

I'm not an expert, so I may be wrong here but my understanding is that at the moment only the Chademo connector (the one used by Nissan) can be used for vehicle to Grid (V2G). And there have been a number of successful trials completed using this. The current version of the CCS connector does not support V2G. The next version of CCS will support V2G but is not due until 2025.
Once V2G is ubiquitous I would expect it to end any issue we have with grid reliability and storage.

Back