Replacing a doorbell-big job?

HardyEustace

Hi guys,
my door bell is broken and in fact has been broken for a while.

When you press the door bell, it sticks and there's no "ding-dong" sound, instead just a low hum.

I'd like to replace the doorbell. Is this a big job or not?

Thanks.

not big job at all take off old and you will see a wire just fit the wire to the new bell. The bell end is the same one wire.

Sounds like it could be just the button sticking. Before replacing the whole thing, try a different switch, or open the button and use a little piece of wire to bridge the contacts.
Leo

Unscrew the bell push and spray a little WD40 or other light oil on the inside. Usually does the trick

If all this doesn't work go for a wirefree option - approx €40 from all the aboe shops.

Prob not making a proper mechanical contact..could be rust..scratch it off

not big job at all take off old and you will see a wire just fit the wire to the new bell. The bell end is the same one wire.

if you've a steel or brass knob, don't touch the bell end at the same time or you could be in for a nasty shock...

well after investigating the door bell I've also just found out that the top cover button has dissapeared as well. :mad: Bought a new door bell in Atlantic today.

This is going to sound like such a numpty question but I assume that I should turn the power off at the mains in order to prevent electricution when I go to change the bell?

You don't need to if it's just the push button you're replacing as it'l be low voltage, but if you're going anywhere near the actual bell unit inside, then yes, please do!
Leo

If all this doesn't work go for a wirefree option - approx €40 from all the aboe shops.

Just to note, got one of these a few years back and unfortunately a neighbour had the same idea, which meant we were answering our door when her bell was pressed etc etc - great fun :rolleyes:

Changing ring types etc didn't help!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but:

Came home a week ago, doorbell not working, and alarm showing a mains fault. Both the doorbell switch (which I think may double with the alarm, could be wrong), and the shower switch to its right on the consumer box had been tripped.

Flicked back both switches, alarm and shower working fine. Doorbell has no 'light' on and isn't working. It's your basic cheap rectangular doorbell with a light inside and a black plastic cover.

Can a doorbell be 'blown', or is it likely to be another fault?

Can a doorbell be 'blown', or is it likely to be another fault?

The light in a doorbell looks like a fuse only with a clear glass casing, might just be blown when things tripped. SHould be able to get one of those in Woodies/B&Q or any electrical type store.

ding dong gone in my door bell

Hi guys,
I posted a previous thread explaining that my door bell was broken and asking how to replace it. Thanks again for all your replies. Two hours and much swearing later, the door bell was replaced.

I was DISGUSTED beyond belief when I realised that the door bell wasn't the problem (much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued). It's actually the ding dong bit (what's the correct term) that isn't working. I assume it's the white speaker box just in my hall....Can I fix it? How do I go about trouble shooting it if so? Where can I get a new one if I can't fix it?

Answers on a postcard to? Well seriously would appreciate some advice(again, I know!)...

Yours sincerely, Hardy Eustace (aka diy disaster)

Duplicate threads merged. Don't duplicate threads on the same issue. Read the posting guidelines.

Sorry if I'm hijacking but we got one of those wirefree ones. We have a PVC door and window next to it. No matter where we try to position the pushbell on the window frame or door, it doesn't work so it only works on the glass so its stuck with those sticky things on the glass but keeps falling off!! Any ideas of how to permanently make it work on the door frame thanks:eek:

Back