Rats under next doors decking

the storm sounds like a good idea - hopefully they`d go off and die somewhere else.
I hate rats & even catching a dead one in a trap would turn my stomach!

Aparently putting crushed glass under your decking will keep rats away. Not sure if this is a myth or not

The cats on either side may be your problem. We got rats in our garden, under the shed. The county council came out (kildare) and pointed out that all the houses around us had animals (dogs or cats) we were the first house in a run with no animal. The rats were eating in a garden further down the row where some idiot was throwing out bread for crows (as in by the loaf) then running along the wall behind the houses and under our nice shed. We got rentokil then a cat. County council had a chat with bird feeder. No more rats.

I actually saw Ratatouille last night. Excellent movie. Gave me a whole new perspective on rats alright, for as long as it lasts. I wouldn't let them cook for me all the same.

a friend of mine was living with his wife and new born baby in a mobile home while building their new house some years back.one evening they heard some strange sounds coming from their bedroom,as they entered the room they saw a rat licking the spit off the infants mouth.

a friend of mine was living with his wife and new born baby in a mobile home while building their new house some years back.one evening they heard some strange sounds coming from their bedroom,as they entered the room they saw a rat licking the spit off the infants mouth.

Good holy god !!!!!

Please tell me you are making this up ??

AHHHHHH:eek:

There are Rats everywhere. We just don't see them as they are usually nocturnal.
Manhattan has a major problem with Rats, they are frequently seen during the day and people are very worried that the city is under attack from a plague of Superrats. However, there are those who say Manhattan and other cities need their rats, because they actually "process" tons of garbage.

The rats were eating in a garden further down the row where some idiot was throwing out bread for crows (as in by the loaf)
That's actually how I noticed I had a rat. I put out a couple of heals of bread from a loaf for the starving birds, and 5 mins later saw a rat come out from under my shed and grab the bread and take it back under

I read somewhere that nobody is ever further than (I think) 10 metres from a rat. I live in the countryside so see them quite regularly - outside! I have a german shepherd dog and he must have caught at least 4 / 5 in the last year. PS: I also have a deck and can confirm that they ARE under there so it's not just a myth.

Bit off topic, but has anyone any advice on how to rat-proof a deck as it's being installed?

By the way to all who suggested cats, my neighbours on either side of me both have cats who spend most of the day outdoors and were of no use at all!

Works for the neighbours. The rats are in YOUR garden.

Solution if you have the stomach!

Rat Fishing & Killer Rat

Rat Fishing is much like real fishing, Rod/Bait and time to kill, just put bait on a hook and drop down one their holes and wait. You will have to kill them when you drag them out. (check out Rat Fishing on Youtube)

Killer Rat, rats are cannibals under the right circumstance, hunger!, if you trap two live rats put both in one cage and eventually one will kill the other, once this happens release the survivor and he will attack and kill other rats.
Killer Rats also will do their job when they have no food in the wild, clean food free environments will force larger rats to kill smaller ones to survive.

Decking really is a haven for rats. Food falls down between the boards. Some people even brush it down there. You then have a warm, dry environment for rats to flourish.

I would look at putting down large rat traps and see if that works. Then turn to a cat or terrier. The job might be too big for a cat. A terrier won't stop killing when satiated. You really have to admire that. Jack Russells and Border Terriers being the best pets for the job.

Definitely agree with the terrier. I have a jack russell bitch and she is deadly for ratting. I also have a cat thats good particularly with mice.

Someone told me recently, if you had rat trouble, get a bag of used bedding from a ferret keeper and spread it where the problem is, as long as there isn't and abundance of food they will leg it as soon as they get the smell of the ferret

I haven't tried it before, but sounds like a good idea to try

Back