Rats under next doors decking

sg1

Hi all,
Have checked previous threads and not quite found the info I'm lo oking for. Recently found a hole going under fence, did not take too much notice till I found evidence of rat in shed, put down a trap and was clearing out shed when I saw the bugger, cleaned shed thoroughly including disinfectant etc. (also removed dog food, bird seed etc which I had been storing in shed), I also filed in the hole at the fence. I put poison and trap in shed and over next two weeks or so saw no evidence of the rat. However since then I have seen the rat in the garden and the hole under fence has returned, I put some poison down the hole/burrow and refilled it, house behind us has decking down so I'm guessing he's living under it. Any suggestions as to what more I can do? It's about ten dasy since I put poison in burrow and hole keeps coming back, I have a dog and neighbours have kids so don't want to leave too much poison lying around. Thanks for any help

I believe that a solution may be to install one of those sonic rodent repellant devices.

They should be available in Woodies or Garden center shops.

Worth a try, otherwise a good tough old Tom Cat !

Timber decking and rats seem to be a problem, they go for the warmth and shelter underneath apparently

Any suggestions as to what more I can do? It's about ten dasy since I put poison in burrow and hole keeps coming back, I have a dog and neighbours have kids so don't want to leave too much poison lying around. Thanks for any help

Be very careful with the poison as little birds are known to eat it too.

Having said that, I once set a bit metal rat trap and came back the next morning to find a magpie in it.

I had a rat under my garden shed and tried poison and the ultra sonic yokes....no luck

Good old fashioned wooden rat trap from woodies that I modified by soldering spikes on the trap mechanism so I could impail the rat when it went for the bait.

First night I set the trap, it triggered and it got away. The spikes would give me the edge of a split second faster to catch it

Placed 3 traps down all 120 degrees in a circle from each other with a diamater of about a foot. Traps facing into teh centre so the rat had to go into teh middle to get the bait.

Placed 3 frankfurters slightly cooked smeared in nutella and nailed in to the trap.

Place the traps on a hair trigger and wait

I had a Strike and hit on the first night.

Persevere with the traps, its the only way. Get rid of them now and tell your neighbour also to do the same as you

My wife thought I was a bit mad when I was putting on the spikes but it worked. The rat was about twice the size of the biggest trap woodies had so I needed an advantage over it otherwise it would just escape again with the food

Don't automatically assume its the deck, rats like warm, dry locations like under sheds, a deck wouldn't provide shelter that a rat needs, i have heard of this rumour before and i have never come across this as been proven, what i would be concerned about is the presence of a rat in your backgarden and in the neighbours which would imply that there is alot of waste/food around to attract the rat which should be looked at, if the food source was removed the rats would go, you don't want to be in a position where the rat may give birth and increase your problem.

Be very careful with rat poison esp with kids around, rats usually take the bait back to there nest, so if they drop it along the way and is picked up by a child could lead to serious accident....Prevention is better than a cure

If you call the county council they will send someone out to survey the area and lay down traps/poison

Cats are the eco friendly alternative. Our cat ( he's not really ours but he thinks we are his) is an excellent ratter. Unfortunately he is a fairly indiscriminate killer and will also attack my favourite birds the blue tits. But I guess thats nature for you.

try STORM its a posion the makes them drink more water than they can hold then end up dying from the water, so they dont die where they live probalby where they get the water,

be careful with rats if you corner them they could bite. weels disease. tell your neibhours attack on two fronts.

Decking is a haven for rats.
Nice and warm and dry underneath. Ideal for breeding rats.

It's a shame really, as the upper side of decking tends to be slippery and cold and wet!

Thanks for all replies, I put down a trap (called supercat!) right next to the burrow yesterday and when I came home this evening the rat was caught in the trap! I reckon it must have been caught last night. I have filled in the burrow and will keep an eye on it but hopefully thats the end of it. By the way to all who suggested cats, my neighbours on either side of me both have cats who spend most of the day outdoors and were of no use at all!

is this one of those humane traps where the rat crawls in and can't get out or the old style ones that snap its head off?

I think it's supposed to be a kindof humane trap, however I think the bait is poisionous (but I might be wrong). It's supposed to trap the rat so it can't escape and then you can empty out the trap and reuse it. The rat it caught for me had the top half of its body trapped in it, I'm not sure if the poison got or if perhaps it broke its neck. I hate rats so I did not have the guts to remove the rat to reuse the trap it so I threw the rat and trap out

I remember my dear old Grandad back in the late 60's having a "humane" rat trap!
He used to catch the rats that were in his garden..........................

And then Drown them in a big barrel of water,!!!!! Very humane dont you think?

Oh my God the house we are thinking of buying has decking out the back. That will definately have to go now if we get the house!! I have two small babies and I would just die if I though there were rats there. Great Thread!!!

Back